Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ATV 2 xbmc audio question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got a quick question. I just have a atv2 hooked up to a flat screen using hdmi. That is my whole setup I just wanted to know did I need to enable the output stereo to all speakers option and do I need to turn on the downmix audio option or just leave it off?

I'm also guessing my audio output in the audio setting menu should be hdmi since that is what it's hooked up to the tv with? Just looking for best quality which isn't much with my setup and not sure what I should click on or off.

Thanks
You can put either optical/coax or HDMI in the output port setting. It doesn't change anything (audio is transmitted always to both outputs at the same time - thats how ios does it for us). Some people say that setting it to optical/coax fixes stuttering. (though no official proove for that).

You don't need to tick "stereo to all speakers" as it won't do anything on iOS aswell.
Increase volume on downmix is helpfull if you have some 5.1 material which XBMC mixes down to stereo 2.0. In that case the volume gets decreased. If you don't hear well tick this on Wink

Leave all "Receiver blahblah" settings ticked off. (at least as long as your tv doesn't support decoding of AC3 or DTS - you should try with this settings and playing a movie with AC3 (dolby digital) or DTS track and see if sound still works. If so - then your TV is able to decode it and mix it down to stereo. In that case it gives better performance to let the TV decode these AC3 and DTS streams instead of XBMC - so leave the options ticked on).
In the spirit of making XBMC a more user friendly product, do you think would be worth the effort to hide all the irrelevant options from the settings screens according to each different platform?
sure ... but we are not done there ... though it seems slowly going forward ...
Hi Memphiz,

Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I needed. I had a friend wondering this too so I'll forward this post to him. I'm grateful and thank you. All of the Developers ROCK!!!