Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [iPad3] How to control playback using hdmi output
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am running the current nightly (git 20120803) on iPad3 (ios 5.1.1). I connect my iPad3 to a plasma tv using the apple AV connector and hdmi cable. As of this nightly I am now getting full screen which is great.

The problem I have is trying to figure out how to control playback? The iPad screen goes blank except for some instructions on how to navigate using gestures, mostly cursor movement. Nowhere can I see how to control playback, play, pause, stop, etc. Tapping at various places on the iPad screen will sometimes bring up the playback control but it is displayed on the tv. I cannot see how to cause any of the controls to activate.

Maybe I am missing something?
use the touch gestures only on the text - does this fix it? Normally you should see the xbmc logo on the ipad which should be the place to do the gestures. If you don't see it something is wrong...
I do see the logo and the gestures seem to work OK, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do playback control. At one point I got the playback controls to display on the TV but nothing I did on the iPad would allow me to pause or stop the playback.
I use my phone (HTC Evo LTE) or my wife's phone (iPhone 4S) with the XBMC app to control playback. It works really well and allows for the proper XBMC experience from the ipad while sitting on the couch in our office.
(2012-08-05, 16:31)WisdomWolf Wrote: [ -> ]I use my phone (HTC Evo LTE) or my wife's phone (iPhone 4S) with the XBMC app to control playback. It works really well and allows for the proper XBMC experience from the ipad while sitting on the couch in our office.

Would like to do that but do not have an phone that I could do this with. One of the reasons I will run XBMC on the iPad is to connect it up to TV's in hotels rooms and such. It is replacing a laptop and portable DVD player that I usually travel with. One device instead of 2. I was hoping I would have full playback control on the iPad itself without having to take another device with me.
As a follow-up, I just got a new CCK today and connected the TV with the AV cable and have the same results so it isn't specific to HDMI, which I think is probably pretty obvious at this point but just in case I thought I should include this info.
single finger single tap should bring the video controls up during video playback no? Then navigate the controls with swipes...
(2012-08-06, 00:53)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]single finger single tap should bring the video controls up during video playback no? Then navigate the controls with swipes...

Yes, single tap does bring up the controls, but nothing I do on the iPad screen allows me to select any of the controls.

With regards to WisdomWolf's suggestion of using a smartphone, the problem I see with that is that it requires I have wifi available, and that the wifi system does not block wifi to wifi device connectivity. My intended purpose is for hotel rooms (which may be on a ship) and it is quite likely wifi will not be available in many of the places I will be going.
On a related topic, I downloaded and installed the official xbmc remote for ios. It does indeed work well from another iPad to control the copy of xbmc connected to the tv. See note above about utility of this method for my intended use.

What I wanted to try to do was to run the remote application on the same iPad as I operate xbmc. The problem with this is that xbmc goes to sleep when it loses focus even though I am running Backgrounder and xbmc is set up to continue. As a result the remote cannot connect to the xbmc on the local host.

Any thoughts on how to make this work as it would do the job for me.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Well thats a bug then. Will see when i get some spare time to look into it.
Wait - if you are using the default touched skin - be sure to switch to the confluence skin in system->appearence before moving to tvout. The touched skin only works on the touch device itself.
(2012-08-07, 00:11)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Wait - if you are using the default touched skin - be sure to switch to the confluence skin in system->appearence before moving to tvout. The touched skin only works on the touch device itself.

OK. With Confluence I do get the controls on the screen and can access playback control. However, with Confluence I do not get full screen tv out like I did with the touch skin. I get black bars all around the picture, I would say about 2/3 size.

p.s. Should I open a separate thread on the ios xbmc remote on the same device?
ios xbmc remote has to be discussed seperatly in the supplemental tools forum. there is a thread which is dedicated to xbmc ios remote.

Beside that if touched skin works full size - confluence has to work fullsize too (the skin itself can't influence the tvout output). Be sure to use the latest nightly. Make sure that overscan options on your tv are set right. Make sure that xbmc resolution settings are correct (i think 720 or 1080p on ipad3). This definitly works!

Reboot all your devices. Also ensure that you don't have any 3rd party tvout tools installed.
OK, now I am not sure what I have done. I updated to the latest nightly. I have only 2 choices for resolution 2048x1526 and 1024x768. When I use 2048 I get black bars all around, when I use 1024 I get a very small screen at the top left. This is with the confluence skin.

Now, at one point I was able to switch to full screen 2, at 2048x1526. When I did this I got a full screen on the tv, however, then I was back to the problem of the screen with the swipe gesture descriptions on the iPad and unable to get the playback controls on the iPad screen. After killing xbmc and restarting it I have been unable to get Confluence to switch to full screen 2 again.

So, very confused. Help?
I know that when I use TV out, I have to toggle Fullscreen #2 off and then back on again for it to output to the TV correctly. XBMC picks up the TV and outputs to it from the start, but at the wrong resolution and ratio. A quick toggle seems to fix it and is only a minor annoyance. On my 1080p display it fits fine, on a 720p display I have to go into display options to adjust for overscan.
OK. I have made some progress. First I needed to start XBMC without the TV out connection attached. XBMC seems to remember that the TV out was attached and immediately shuts down. Starting back up I get the normal iPad startup.

I switched to Confluence and set my output to full screen #1 and 2048 resolution. I then shut down XBMC (fully closed it from the background). Connect the TV out cable. Restart XBMC. Now I have the display on both screens but it is a smaller display on the TV. Go back into setting and switch to Full Screen #2 leaving the resolution at 2048. You will see in a short period a popup on the TV asking if you want to keep the new resolution, reply yes. Kill XBMC and restart with the TV out connected and the TV comes up in full screen.

The screen of the iPad has only the touch instructions, but if you tap once you will see the playback controls on your TV. Using the tab gestures you can navigate the playback controls and tap to select. (This did not work with the touch skin).

Now when I connect the TV out and then start XBMX it recognizes the TV and everything displays correctly.

Thanks all for your help.
Pages: 1 2