Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Media Player user (Dune) maybe looking to try XMBC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Dune Prime and a Popcorn Hour A210 and love them. I have an unRAID server housing around 22TB of video/content. I use Sickbeard to download all my TV shows daily. I also like to tinker around and try different things. I found a computer that has an E7500 duo core and an ATI Raedon 3400 series 256MB video card with HDMI out. It is running Windows Ultimate 64bit with 8GB of RAM. Would XMBC be able to play ok on this box? Also, what I'm finding difficult is how the heck do you use a remote control to operate XMBC? I'm trying to find the benefits over a media player like the Dune, but so far I haven't seen anything that would entice me to ever switch. While the UII is "cool" looking, that's not going to make me switch just because it is "cool". I can play full blu ray menu ISO files, TrueHD and Master audio with no problems. And then to have to take care of anothher whole computer seems a little bit much compared to have to do nothing to operate my Dune or Popcorn. I guess I'm just looking for people to tell me why I should use XMBC over my media players. Having to maybee buy a new video card is a pain in the neck also, as not all of them can play high bitrate content.