Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: make: *** [install-binaries] Error 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I've been trying to compile xbmc from source as per the instructions: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...ADME.linux

But when I get to "sudo make install", I get an error. Anyone fancy helping me debug? I tried not using the -j2 option on make, but I get the same result.

Code:
james@james-ubuntu:~/xbmc$ sudo make install
[sudo] password for james:
Copying XBMC binary to /usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
install: cannot stat `xbmc.bin': No such file or directory
make: *** [install-binaries] Error 1

Thanks,

Jamie
Anyone?
Did you make sure to install all of the required Ubuntu packages? https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...DME.ubuntu

FYI - You shouldn't bump posts in less than a day.
Sorry about bumping, it's just that I find what with this forum being configured to have very few posts/threads per page, once you disappear off page 2, you never get noticed. Still you;re right. I should have waited.

Whoops. I thought I had installed all the dependencies, but when I ran the big long list of them from https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...DME.ubuntu it turns out there were a few missing. I'm re-making now. We'll see if it works this time.

Thanks,

Jamie
I re-ran bootstrap and configure, on the first "make" I get this:

[code}make[2]: Entering directory `/home/james/xbmc/lib/ffmpeg'
touch: cannot touch `.version': Permission denied
CC libavdevice/alldevices.o
libavdevice/alldevices.c:61:1: fatal error: opening dependency file libavdevice/alldevices.d: Permission denied
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [libavdevice/alldevices.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/james/xbmc/lib/ffmpeg'
make[1]: *** [ffmpeg] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/james/xbmc/lib'
make: *** [dvdpcodecs] Error 2[/code]

Any ideas?
when you setup the git directory, did you use sudo? You probably need to chown the xbmc folder with your user, I bet it's owned by root
Code:
drwxr-xr-x 20 james james   4096 Aug  6 18:36 xbmc/
The folder seems to be owned by me.

Anyway, I re-ran make with "sudo make" and it's happily churning out loads of stuff to my terminal - so presumably its working ok. I do see the words "warning" and "error" flit by occasionally but I'm trying to ignore them. I'll let you know if "sudo make install" works.

Thanks,

Jamie
Hmm, despite my efforts, make doesn't like ignoring errors. This section seems relevant:

Code:
CPP     xbmc/music/MusicDatabase.o
MusicDatabase.cpp: In member function ‘unsigned int CMusicDatabase::GetSongIDs(const CDatabase::Filter&, std::vector<std::pair<int, int> >&)’:
MusicDatabase.cpp:3500:75: warning: unknown conversion type character ‘)’ in format [-Wformat]
MusicDatabase.cpp:3500:75: warning: too many arguments for format [-Wformat-extra-args]
CPP     xbmc/music/MusicDbUrl.o
MusicDbUrl.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool CMusicDbUrl::parse()’:
MusicDbUrl.cpp:138:52: error: call of overloaded ‘AddOption(const char [9], long int)’ is ambiguous
MusicDbUrl.cpp:138:52: note: candidates are:
/home/james/xbmc/xbmc/DbUrl.h:42:16: note: virtual void CDbUrl::AddOption(const string&, const string&) <near match>
/home/james/xbmc/xbmc/DbUrl.h:42:16: note:   no known conversion for argument 2 from ‘long int’ to ‘const string& {aka const std::basic_string<char>&}’
/home/james/xbmc/xbmc/DbUrl.h:43:16: note: virtual void CDbUrl::AddOption(const string&, int)
/home/james/xbmc/xbmc/DbUrl.h:44:16: note: virtual void CDbUrl::AddOption(const string&, float)
/home/james/xbmc/xbmc/DbUrl.h:45:16: note: virtual void CDbUrl::AddOption(const string&, double)
/home/james/xbmc/xbmc/DbUrl.h:46:16: note: virtual void CDbUrl::AddOption(const string&, bool)
MusicDbUrl.cpp:140:50: error: call of overloaded ‘AddOption(const char [8], long int)’ is ambiguous
MusicDbUrl.cpp:140:50: note: candidates are:
/home/james/xbmc/xbmc/DbUrl.h:42:16: note: virtual void CDbUrl::AddOption(const string&, const string&) <near match>
/home/james/xbmc/xbmc/DbUrl.h:42:16: note:   no known conversion for argument 2 from ‘long int’ to ‘const string& {aka const std::basic_string<char>&}’
/home/james/xbmc/xbmc/DbUrl.h:43:16: note: virtual void CDbUrl::AddOption(const string&, int)
/home/james/xbmc/xbmc/DbUrl.h:44:16: note: virtual void CDbUrl::AddOption(const string&, float)
/home/james/xbmc/xbmc/DbUrl.h:45:16: note: virtual void CDbUrl::AddOption(const string&, double)
/home/james/xbmc/xbmc/DbUrl.h:46:16: note: virtual void CDbUrl::AddOption(const string&, bool)
MusicDbUrl.cpp:142:50: error: call of overloaded ‘AddOption(const char [8], long int)’ is ambiguous
MusicDbUrl.cpp:142:50: note: candidates are:
MusicDbUrl.cpp:144:48: error: call of overloaded ‘AddOption(const char [7], long int)’ is ambiguous
MusicDbUrl.cpp:144:48: note: candidates are:
MusicDbUrl.cpp:146:44: error: call of overloaded ‘AddOption(const char [5], long int)’ is ambiguous
MusicDbUrl.cpp:146:44: note: candidates are:
make[1]: *** [MusicDbUrl.o] Error 1
make: *** [xbmc/music/music.a] Error 2
james@james-ubuntu:~/xbmc$ sudo make install
[sudo] password for james:
Copying XBMC binary to /usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
install: cannot stat `xbmc.bin': No such file or directory
make: *** [install-binaries] Error 1
james@james-ubuntu:~/xbmc$
Hmmm....I'd say delete your xbmc folder, re-clone the git repo (make sure you don't use sudo), verify that all the dependencies are installed and then start from ./bootstrap again.
Ha, easier said than done* when I have an average download speed from github of 30KiB/s, but I'll give it a shot, although why re-downloading will help I don't know. Doesn't git use hashing to check all the files are there and accurate?

Just so I know I'm not missing something, can you post the current list of dependencies (in a "sudo apt-get ..." friendly format if possible). As far as I can work out I should have all the dependencies already installed.

A little side note. When I rm -rf the xbmc folder, it complained a lot about files under "xbmc/system/players/paplayer/" and "xbmc/lib/libdvd/libdvdcss/src/" - Permission denied. So I had to sudo rm -rf. I take it they had root permissions because I ran "sudo make". Seem logical?

Jamie

Edit: * Especially when I unthinkingly automatically hit Ctrl-C to copy the "xbmc/system/players/paplayer/" (failing to remember that in the terminal that key-combo cancels the current job) and accidentally cancelled the git clone and had to start again.... from scratch! What is the key-combo to copy in the terminal again? Shift-INSERT pastes I know.
(2012-08-06, 21:56)swiftoid Wrote: [ -> ]Ha, easier said than done* when I have an average download speed from github of 30KiB/s, but I'll give it a shot,
ouch
Quote:although why re-downloading will help I don't know.
I think the problems were because you did the git clone originally using sudo and some of the sub-folders were owned by root.
Quote:Just so I know I'm not missing something, can you post the current list of dependencies (in a "sudo apt-get ..." friendly format if possible). As far as I can work out I should have all the dependencies already installed.
What version of ubuntu are you running?

Quote:A little side note. When I rm -rf the xbmc folder, it complained a lot about files under "xbmc/system/players/paplayer/" and "xbmc/lib/libdvd/libdvdcss/src/" - Permission denied. So I had to sudo rm -rf. I take it they had root permissions because I ran "sudo make". Seem logical?
yes it's because you ran sudo make, you should only have to use sudo for the install (sudo make install)

Quote:Edit: * Especially when I unthinkingly automatically hit Ctrl-C to copy the "xbmc/system/players/paplayer/" (failing to remember that in the terminal that key-combo cancels the current job) and accidentally cancelled the git clone and had to start again.... from scratch! What is the key-combo to copy in the terminal again? Shift-INSERT pastes I know.
shift-ctrl-c copies
shift-ctrl-v pastes

Here's the list of dependencies

Quote:sudo apt-get install git-core build-essential gawk pmount libtool nasm yasm automake cmake gperf zip unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound2-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-gnutls-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmpeg3-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-dev gettext cvs python-dev libyajl-dev libboost-thread-dev libplist-dev libusb-dev libudev-dev libtinyxml-dev libcap-dev autopoint libltdl-dev

Also - Are you using any options with ./configure ?
(2012-08-06, 22:08)Aenima99x Wrote: [ -> ]I think the problems were because you did the git clone originally using sudo and some of the sub-folders were owned by root.
In all honesty, I really don't think I ran sudo git clone the first time round. When I did an "ls -al", all the sub-folders seemed to be owned by me. Still, I might have. Worth a shot.

Quote:yes it's because you ran sudo make, you should only have to use sudo for the install (sudo make install)
I just ran plain "make" to start with, but when it kicked up a fuss about permissions almost immediately, I ran "sudo make". No matter.

Quote:shift-ctrl-c copies
shift-ctrl-v pastes
Thanks for that, a bit finger bending, but hey, it works. I'm sure there was just a Shift-SOMETHING one equivalent to Shift-INSERT.

Any chance you could:
Quote:Just so I know I'm not missing something, can you post the current list of dependencies (in a "sudo apt-get ..." friendly format if possible).
?

Thanks for all your help btw!

P.S.
Code:
james@james-ubuntu:~$ git clone https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git xbmc
Cloning into 'xbmc'...
remote: Counting objects: 168312, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (58540/58540), done.
remote: fatal: packfile /data/repositories/a/nw/a0/9b/89/1217614/network.git/objects/pack/pack-92585c102f0edcc8c3fe4ff0ba8d01707d53d2a8.pack cannot be accessed
remote: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the remote side.
fatal: early EOF
fatal: index-pack failed
GRRRRRR!!!!
try git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git xbmc

I remember a while ago having issues using https
Oh, forgot to say. Ubuntu 12.04.
Darn it!

Code:
james@james-ubuntu:~$ git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git xbmc
Cloning into 'xbmc'...
remote: Counting objects: 168312, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (58437/58437), done.
remote: fatal: packfile ./objects/pack/pack-e3ed83afff13f9bbc8bbb9c79de1cf9d473e6fad.pack cannot be accessed
remote: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the remote side.
fatal: early EOFs:  40% (68234/168312), 80.54 MiB | 25 KiB/s

I'm going to leave it tonight and try tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2