Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Problems Waking From Hibernation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I have a built HTPC with an AMD A6-3500 APU and an ASRock A75M board. I use a Harmony Remote and IR Receiver to control it. I've never managed to get it to turn on properly using the remote, so set it to hibernate and wake from hibernate as the next best thing. However, when waking from hibernation, 9 times out of 10 the screen will be blank and I'll have no choice other than to force the HTPC off and turn it back on again. If the screen does turn on fine, normally the APU has reset and turned on an overscan setting, which means I have to restart to fix anyway.

Anyone else have these kind of problems, and any solutions you can advise?

Thanks Smile
I would highly recommend that you never use hibernate.
That has been the cause of more problems I've seen over the years.
Plus,...starting from hibernate takes just about as long as booting from a cold start.

Why not just use sleep mode,...that way you get essentially instant on.

More details:

What's the difference between sleep, hibernate, and hybrid sleep?

Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.

Hybrid sleep is designed primarily for desktop computers. Hybrid sleep is a combination of sleep and hibernate—it puts any open documents and programs in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state so that you can quickly resume your work. That way, if a power failure occurs, Windows can restore your work from your hard disk. When hybrid sleep is turned on, putting your computer into sleep automatically puts your computer into hybrid sleep. Hybrid sleep is typically turned on by default on desktop computers.

and a link to more info.
Even sleep mode has it's problems.... with an SSD what is 15 to 20 seconds to wait.... nothing.
(2012-08-07, 11:06)Beer40oz Wrote: [ -> ]Even sleep mode has it's problems.... with an SSD what is 15 to 20 seconds to wait.... nothing.

If I could get my PC to turn on from complete off with my Harmony One I would...I have been trying for almost a year and no joy though!

Have set it to sleep before leaving for work today, will see if it handles it better. And will look at XBMC launcher when I get in Smile
(2012-08-07, 11:06)Beer40oz Wrote: [ -> ]Even sleep mode has it's problems.... with an SSD what is 15 to 20 seconds to wait.... nothing.

Agreed

I put my HTPC to sleep. I tried hibernate a couple times and found that it took longer to come out of it than a cold boot. Try changing your power susped mode in your BIOS . (the S1(POS) / S3(STR) option)
Eurgh - thought all was good in sleep mode, then I got in from work yesterday, turned everything on....black screen, no choice but to turn off and on again. Anyone have any clue what's causing this black screen to start with?
How do you have your HTPC connected to your display? HDMI?
(2012-08-09, 13:51)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: [ -> ]How do you have your HTPC connected to your display? HDMI?

Yes HDMI into my Onkyo AV, then AV out to the TV. Running Frodo nightlies for the improved Audio Engine.
If you are using Windows 7, the crash while resuming from sleep is a "thing". If you google it you will find people have solved it by updating mobo drivers, changing video cards, minimizing all programs before sleep, turning off wake on lan, and a bunch of other seemingly unrelated things. I have this same issue but haven't had the time to try the different solutions, I've just been turning it off... I am curious to see what solution works for you though Smile
I have issues with this as well. I leave mine running now like before because the machine is mounted in a rack in the basement. It is a pain to walk all the way to the machine to reset it.
I'm getting more and more tempted to do this, just worried about how much power it would use and whether it would reduce the life of the HTPC having the fan and CPU constantly running etc...is this not a concern for you?