Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Developing rule-based file manager, looking for feedback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am developing a program called FileJuggler. It's a windows utility manages files automatically based on rules you set up.

I have just uploaded an early beta, and is looking for testers and feedback.

A kind redditor pointed me to this site, and said it might be of interest to you (discussion on reddit, for the interested). I don't use XMBC myself (I use VLC), but i do use my own program to move automatically downloaded media files to their right locations.

I am very interested in first impressions and feedback. Let me know what i could add to make it useful for XMBC users.

www.filejuggler.com

Thanks,
Simon
This looks fairly similar to this program: https://github.com/mshorts/belvedere

Not that there can't be two different file management utilities!
I have tried belvedere, and they are somewhat similar. Both are inspared by Hazel for mac. But Belvedere doesn't have near the features that hazel has, and is a bit buggy in my experience.

I feel there is ample room for improvement, although filejuggler has some way to go still.
Cool, I hadn't used Belvedere myself, only read about it. Sounds like in the long run FileJuggler hopes to be a better, more stable, windows solution. Good luck with the project.
I've used Belvedere and had zero problems but if you have a better solution I'm happy to switch.

A few suggestions...

1) allow network (URL) based folder monitoring
2) allow direct typing in of folder paths, don't require someone to 'browse' to it.
3) make a portable version, don't require an install

... one other note. there are many several rules based, automated, file managers for Windows and they ll work fine... but there are really none for Linux. Since there is a large gap there, and many XBMC users are Linux, and the best automated download tools are mainly used on linux (SABnzd, CP, etc) - if you have the skills, you might want to try to make your app cross platform... like SAB, CP and other are.
Thanks for your feedback!

(2012-08-10, 07:53)Livin Wrote: [ -> ]1) allow network (URL) based folder monitoring

Could you elaborate on this? What would you use if for?

Filejuggler can monitor network drives in windows, but not urls as in http locations.

(2012-08-10, 07:53)Livin Wrote: [ -> ]2) allow direct typing in of folder paths, don't require someone to 'browse' to it.

I hate that too. In FJ you can type, paste or browse as you wish.

(2012-08-10, 07:53)Livin Wrote: [ -> ]3) make a portable version, don't require an install

I'll probably make a better and more visible solution, but it is portable at the moment, if you install to a directory where it has write permissions. That is, install it directly to your usb drive, and you'll have a portably solution.

Cross-platform version will have to be someone else :-)