Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDMI 7.1 setup, but no sound from rear speakers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

Since a week or 2 I am a new proud using of XBMC, and have to say that I am impressed by the look and feel. Though, I am having some problems…

For the past week I am struggling with the sound setup, unable to get sounds from my 2 rear speakers. I have an HTS-HD capable receiver and using an 7.1 sound system and all is running on an Windows 7 Ultimate OS.

When testing my speakers (Start – config – sound – right mouse – properties) and selecting the 7.1 setup and testing it, all works good. A sound is coming out of all the speakers. And for testing I downloaded also an DTS-HD file, and that also was working good, sound out of each speaker.
But when I am playing an movie with XBMC, the rear speakers are not getting any sound. In XBMC the sound settings are HDMI – 7.1 and audio output is now set at WASAPI – RealTek HDMI Output (ATI HDMI), but I tried them all.

So like I said a week has past and I am still struggling with it, in that time I did 3 total fresh installations of Windows 7 (both 32 and 64bit) and from searching on google I found an topic that was containing XBMC + HDAudio (Found here.). But I am slowly getting desperate here, so I hope you guys can help me out how to get sound out of the rear speakers also!

Windows 7 X64 Ultimate
ATI AMD Radeon HD 6550D (= graphics card and using is also for HDMI Audio)
Are you playing a movie that has 8 channels of audio?

Check your file with this http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en and see how many channels of audio are in it.
(2012-08-14, 20:41)intered Wrote: [ -> ]When testing my speakers (Start – config – sound – right mouse – properties) and selecting the 7.1 setup and testing it, all works good. A sound is coming out of all the speakers. And for testing I downloaded also an DTS-HD file, and that also was working good, sound out of each speaker.
But when I am playing an movie with XBMC, the rear speakers are not getting any sound. In XBMC the sound settings are HDMI – 7.1 and audio output is now set at WASAPI – RealTek HDMI Output (ATI HDMI), but I tried them all.

Windows 7 X64 Ultimate
ATI AMD Radeon HD 6550D (= graphics card and using is also for HDMI Audio)
Un-install RealTek and follow setup instruction in this thread- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........
(2012-08-14, 21:31)DoctorDyna Wrote: [ -> ]Are you playing a movie that has 8 channels of audio?

Check your file with this http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en and see how many channels of audio are in it.

ehhh, now I feel very stupid... omg, I spend so many hours trying to fix it! haha And it turned out it I tested each time with an movie that was only DTS-HD 5.1 sound. When testing an DTS-HD 7.1 movie.... the speaker in the rear produced sound! Smile

Anyways, thanks for the solution! Big Grin