Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: BuiltIn RestartApp... is it working as expected?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I have assigned a button to reload XBMC from the shutdown menu for I suspect that after running for a long time it starts to behave less smoothly. Clicking on the button just appears to do nothing apart from the navigation sound. I just want to check with you guys that this behaviour is normal. There doesn't seem to be a trace of the reloading of XBMC in the log.
TIA
if there is no trace in the log, it doesn't work. How are you doing this?
(2012-08-15, 16:45)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]if there is no trace in the log, it doesn't work. How are you doing this?
By using
Code:
<onclick>RestartApp</onclick>
Works well with
Code:
<onclick>Minimize</onclick>
It doesn't do anything for me either. Neither from skin menus which include a Restart XBMC function, nor when assigned to a key keyboard.xml. I also tried running it from the Commands add-on with predictably similar results.
I don't know if anyone else wants a workaround, but I found a relatively easy way to accomplish the same thing:

1. Write a simple bash script containing the following:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
killall -9 xbmc.bin
2. Save it someplace and give it executable permissions
Code:
chmod +x /path/to/your/script
3. Use Advanced Launcher to create a way to launch your script from within XBMC. Make your launcher a favorite
4. Check out your userdata/favourites.xml to get the code for launching your script via Adv. Launcher
5. Add it to a keyboard shortcut in your userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml file. In my own keyboard file, I have defined h to take me to the home window in the <global> section, and in the <home> section I redefine it like this:
Code:
<h>RunPlugin(&quot;plugin://plugin.program.advanced.launcher/?e69c097dc6659a6f21ff6ab22e04f65f&quot;)</h>

So now I have a remote button mapped to h using flirc, and that remote button takes me to the home screen, and if I press it again from the home screen it restarts XBMC. It's a little hacky, but if the RestartApp function starts working again in a future version, all I have to do is make a tiny edit to keyboard.xml and I should be able to get rid of my script and Adv. Launcher item. Since the key is mapped to the Adv. Launcher item and not the favorite, I was already able to get rid of the script in my favorites list. I only needed it there long enough to get the code to execute it.