Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "TAGS" and a request for how they might be handled in Confluence.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks.

I recently did the upgrade to XBMC12.0-ALPHA 4

I was pleased that they added a new feature: TAGS

(see http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/08/14/xb...uly-cycle/ )

Now, TAGS allow you to create a group name (say "Zombie") and select movies that would fit that TAG group.

So... great.

However, to then get to TAGS, not so good (go to movies, then "up" a menu to then choose TAGS.

Now, for me, I don't necessarily want another sub-menu item under movies on my main page. Already there is getting to be too much clutter.

I would, however, greatly appreciate it if the Confluence Devs would consider making the option for TAGS to be displayed within GENRES a choice under System / Settings / Skin / Miscellaneous Options.

An on / off radio button as the other options have there would do fine, with the wording "Alow TAGS to appears as GENRES"

Then, instead of all the efforts that I usually go through to manage my personal genres of "Zombie" and "Post Apocalyptic", I could just use TAGS to make that happen and have them automagically appear there under Genres.

Finally, the magic words: "Please" and "Thank You".

Hope you give this consideration.

v.
They're not genres so showing them up there is a little tricky I think.

I'd suggest adding a link to home for tags instead. This is quite easy to do by editing the skin.

Note that you can alter the video library layout via the XML files in system. It is probably possible to replace the genre item with a link to a multipath of genres and tags to do what you want.

Cheers
Jonathan
I personally think that Tags should be merged into Sets since its basically the same concept just user created ones and why complicate the layout by adding more
They're fundamentally different to sets as sets are 1:many while tags a many:many.
(2012-08-18, 04:34)jmarshall Wrote: [ -> ]They're fundamentally different to sets as sets are 1:many while tags a many:many.

I have to agree with Jonathan here...

Example: "Blank" of the Living Dead set.

This would include 6 very specific films: 1) Night of, 2) Dawn of, 3) Day of, 4) Land of, 5) Diary of, 6) Survival of.

The set defines the series.

However, TAGS are used to focus on commonalities of interest (zombies, shopping mall, blood pressure monitor, etc)

Now, these TAGS can be used in any and / or many various ways left up to the end user.

So, a TAG could include all zombie movies, possibly zombie TV series, but you could also create a group of films that have shopping malls in them... Shopping malls, of course, would never be a movie set, but could be a TAG (a very strange TAG, but it could be done) that would include a very diverse group of films (ex: Dawn of the Dead, Mallrats).

So...

Tags are more like GENRES than they are like Movie Sets. Nod

Some TAGS could be like a GENRES, if a user wished, or some TAGS could be extremely diverse (ex: "sunrises").

Using Jonathan’s suggestions, this SPECIFIC end user would like to influence the Confluence design team to consider making an option to either allow TAGS to be displayed EITHER as a home menu item OR an item that is part of GENRES.

(...of course, I [an individual with no valid programming skills] would very much like MY tags to be available under GENRES.)
Perhaps add a separate category to Genres and Movie Sets called Collections.

I prefer the use of tags over the predefined Sets as you can add a movie to more than one collection unlike movie sets, and I find filtering by genre produces some surprising and unexpected results.

It was this new feature that enticed me to install Alpha 4.
Tags doesn't mean collection. They can be used for a lot of other things
Any plans to make Tags more visible? They're pretty well hidden under "Videos -> Movies -> Tags", not totally intuitive. The ideal place would be in the Movies submenu on the homescreen.

Edit:
I just noticed that the "Poster Wrap" viewtype doesn't work properly with Tags. The poster of the movie in focus becomes invisible, and moving on to another movie doesn't restore it.