Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SOLVED: Export music library inc fanart to new computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
See posts #5 and #7 for solution

I have a somewhat unique set of circumstances which is making exporting my music library quite difficult.

I set up the library on my laptop, creating most of the fanarts myself as most of the artists in my library could not be found on htbackdrops. Now I want to export this library of fanart etc to my HTPC so I have all the fanart I slaved for months creating on that as well.

My folder set up is as follows:

Music folder -> Band name -> album name -> track1.mp3, track2.mp3, track3.mp3, etc (where tracks 1, 2, 3 are all the same artist)

EXCEPT for compilations and split EPs. In these cases it's organised as such:

Music folder -> Various artists -> Album name -> track1.mp3, track2.mp3, track3.mp3, etc (where tracks 1, 2, 3 etc are from more than one artist and the 'various artists' folder contains all of my compilations and splits)

I have tried exporting as separate .nfo, fanart.jpg and folder.jpg, and this works to a certain extent, however when an artist is only found on a compilation, XBMC exports it to the "various artists" folder, overwriting the last artist that was also not found anywhere else, and therefore I have not been able to get all my artists to export.

I reaaaaally don't want to have to move all my compilations to separate artist folders for each artist. Not only would it take a lot of effort to do, it would also serve absolutely no other purpose (and even be an annoyance - for example if I wanted to delete a compilation in the future, I would have to go through each artist's folder and delete each track one by one).

Surely there is there another way?!

The best solution would be if I could get XBMC to create the .nfo, fanart.jpg and folder.jpg files in a completely different folder with corresponding folders automatically. For example:
XBMC Music Fanart -> Artist name -> nfo, fanart.jpg, folder.jpg
bump
to the top.
So I tested putting the .nfo, fanart, and folder files in their own folders and it doesn't work... it won't scan in unless the files are with the music.

And some artists, who are not even in the "various artists" folder won't export. The whole music library system is completely broken, I'm about ready to give up.
Shit!! I think I found the solution (for anyone who Googles and finds themselves in this thread in the future)! Copy the entire "music" folder from the roaming/xbmc/userdata/thumbnails folder from the old computer to the new one. Brilliant!
You now, I rather hated your bumps after just a few hours. But you posted the (a) solution, so thanks Smile
(2012-08-22, 14:03)hhman Wrote: [ -> ]You now, I rather hated your bumps after just a few hours. But you posted the (a) solution, so thanks Smile
No chance of getting a response unless the thread is on the first page.

I should also point out that my solution only copies the thumbnails and fanart. You need to export the library to one xml file, and import that on the new computer also if you want things like bios from last.fm