Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is there a "HOW-TO" on incorporating NFS Manager with ATV1 and CrystalBuntu?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm using the USB Stick version and it HAD been working just fine for a few weeks. Now, can't use ATV1 at all. Getting the Timed Out and Can't Find Server BS. Tried rebooting everything including my iMac, the Media Drive on the iMac, the ATV1... NADA. Saw that this is a problem and some people said using NFS Manager solves the problem but nobody explains how to incorporate it. I downloaded it on my iMac but don't have a clue if thats right or wrong. How do I install and make my ATV1 happy again?

My grandkids are visiting and they are clamoring for Barbie and Madagascar movies LOL, thank goodness I have originals.

How about some help for a non-techno geek?
So the iMac is the file server and an ATV1 with Crystalbuntu is the client?
Hi Ned...

Oh rescue me LOL. OK, my current media drive is a USB Fantom that is connected directly to my Airport Express which is connected to my iMac. My ATV1 is hard-wired (not wifi) with shielded ethernet to a switch under my desk. Said switch is connected to my Airport Express also. This setup has worked for a couple of years now through Boxee, XMBC, and now Crystalbuntu. I did the Crystalbuntu USB deal and the stuttering that I was getting went away, and as noted above, all was fine for a couple of weeks. I think I may have rebooted the iMac for one reason or another, but normally its on 24/7. I'm also contemplating upgrading the OS so I don't want to screw things up.

I did by the Broadcom card, but haven't torn apart the ATV since the USB was working so nice.

To answer your question, if I haven't already... I guess you'd call the iMac the "server" and the ATV1 the client. But I'm guessing LOL.

Mike
anyone?
It sounds like the Airport Express is the actual server here. Have you tried adding the Airport Express's IP as a source to XBMC for either SMB (windows sharing) or AFP? Those are the two protocols that Airport base stations support when sharing a drive on the network.

If the USB drive is connected directly to the iMac, then NFS could be used, but from your set up it doesn't sound that way.
Actually... I stated it wrongly. The USB Media Drive _is_ connected to the iMac, not the Airport Extreme. The ATV1 is connected to the Airport Extreme. Do I have to wipe the ATV1 and start all over? Or id adding the NFS Manager something I can with XMBC on my TV screen? Sorry for the wrong description Sad.

Mike
Still waiting for someone... anyone, to explain how to use or incorporate NFS Manager in this situation. Its been two weeks without ATV and I'm severely tempted to just try reformatting the ATV with a new patchstick and then re-doing the Crystalbuntu deal. Is there another forum that deals specifically with this combination? Hate to think I should be asking Crystalbuntu people and not XBMC.

Mike
You would only need NFS Manager to help manage NFS shares on the iMac. It sounds like you were using something else before, probably SMB. SMB should work fine unless you've updated Mac OS X to 10.7 or 10.8. NFS is one of the better network protocols, and there's a few ways to set it up (see the NFS (wiki) page on the wiki), but I've never really tried the NFS Manager yet. This would all be on the iMac's side of things, since it is the server. You shouldn't need to wipe the ATV1.

This last weekend was the XBMC Developers Conference, and a lot of us are still recovering, but if I have time I might play with NFS Manager. It sounds like a really nice option, giving an easy-to-use GUI for Mac OS X and NFS shares.
When I boot up the AppleTV and see the XMBC Confluence screen, I normally "mouse" to the "Files" tab
section under the "VIDEOS" and when I click on that selection I get the list showing the following:

Media-1
Recovery
Add Videos...

So I click on "Media-1" as that is my USB drive that is connected to my iMac. I briefly see a "working" notification and then a pop-up Error window saying "Connection timed out" with a blue "OK" button.

I click on the OK button and a second pop-up appears saying "Remote Share" on top with a note saying "Could not connect to network server" and a blue OK button below.

So does this sound like a SMB problem and will NFS resolve this so it works?

Mike
It sounds like you just need to re-add/edit the network share from your iMac. Your router probably reassigned IP addresses on the network or something.
(2012-09-11, 05:24)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like you just need to re-add/edit the network share from your iMac. Your router probably reassigned IP addresses on the network or something.

Does that mean I delete something before adding a network share? Do I go into Network Settings and delete the "workgroup" I was using and type over that with some new name? Do I need to delete that? Or do I go down to IP Address and and try to figure out if my Media Drive has an IP address? I'm not very Network savvy... I usually either follow explicit directions or keep trying different things until I find something that works LOL. I went down to my iMac and everything in preferences and file sharing is still set according to the XMBC instructions as far as I can tell. I'm kinda' stuck here, no ATV for 3 weeks now.

I'll poke around the XMBC site and see if there's another page that tells you how to remove and or replace a network share. But if you have the time and inclination... kick me in the butt and tell me how to do it!

Mike
You would go into Videos -> Files and find the iMac source folder then press and hold down "Menu" until the contextual menu pops up. Then you should be able to select "Edit source" and change the IP address to whatever the IP of the iMac currently is.
Ned... What I did was probably wrong but it worked out. I added videos which allowed me to add the same source (Media-1) as Media-1(2) and I was able to watch movies. So... I held down the the menu key and got to the edit menu and deleted the original Media-1 which I guess had the wrong IP address. So I renamed the (2) to the same original name and it worked... or it seems to be working LOL.

My only question now is how to add/enable the proper scrapers that will provide real information about each movie... like posters or cd covers, maybe even a synopsis if thats available. I thought I enable IMDB and Global and Rotten Tomatoes... but instead of a movie poster, fanart, or the DVD cover... I get an obscure clip from the movie. Wondering how to re-enable the scrapers so that it starts working as I'm not seeing _ANY_ posters/dvd art. I did check and it says the IMDB and Global, Rotten Tomatoes are enabled.

Mike
Got everything working but the scraper. No posters or movie info, and I checked... the IMDB is enabled. Are you limited to one (1) scraper? Just getting a random scene from each movie in the library.
Did you tell it to scan/update library/run automated scan?
Pages: 1 2