Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ubuntu 12.04 OpenGL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys, im new to Ubuntu and was wondering if anyone can help me. I've installed XBMC but every time i go to launch it it says 'XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering blah blah blah' I've tried everything to get it going but nothing works, mind you i can play all my 1080 rips with no problem but XBMC always fails to load. If anyone can help ill be greatly appreciative. I'm using a Samsung rc530 laptop if that helps.
Any help would be greatly appreaciated as this computer had no troubles running XBMC on either Windows 7 or OpenSUSE
Sounds like a driver needs to be installed. Looks like your laptop has an nVidia GT 540M GPU chipset. You need to drop to a terminal, or SSH in, and install the nVidia drivers. This can be done in a couple of ways. You can either issue a sudo apt-get install nvidia-current, or add another repository for nVidia's drivers to do the same. Or, you can download the install script from nVidia's website and run their shell script which will build the drivers and kernel module for your machine.
It says its already installed when i run sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
Your system is missing glxinfo. I think this comes with package mesa-utils.
See Image
It says i already have it installed and no updates available

What is the output when you execute 'glxinfo'?

EDIT: Did you install nvidia-glx?
I always download drivers from NVidia web site and use NVidia installer. This has always worked for me.
INstalled both and when i do the sudo apt-get install nvidia-current thats the output it gives me (image)
Everytime i try to run the .rn files from the nvidia website i get a error saying it needs to be run as root?
this is what i get when i try to run the NVidia X Server Settings

First, you need to execute the nVidia .run file from a terminal with X completely killed.
Code:
Ctrl+Alt+<F1-F6>
sudo service <lightdm or GDM or whatever> stop
sudo sh NVIDIA.....run
Let the script run, it will build everything you need. You'll then need to reboot in order for everything to properly take affect.
Code:
sudo aptitude reinstall nvidia-current
This solved the problem for me.

imho there is no need to work around the package management system by running the nvidia installer manually.
Zyan that code doesnt work for me?
(2012-09-01, 04:42)AaronG85 Wrote: [ -> ]Zyan that code doesnt work for me?

sudo apt-get install aptitude

or purge it out first then reinstall

sudo-apt-get remove --purge nvidia-current nvidia-settings

then

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
or yet even simpler:

Code:
sudo apt-get --reinstall install nvidia-current
Pages: 1 2