Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Went from working install to being hosed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I had a perfectly good XBMC install running and providing much enjoyment. Then I tried to use the Rom Collection Browser and it all went to hell.

I don't think the problem I have now is still related but I have NO idea how to fix it.

For some reason when ever I try to play any media, XBMCbuntu crashes to desktop.

There is a crash log here: http://pastebin.com/3s5zM6DJ

Anyone have any idea how to deal with this? Anything else I need to provide?

Fixed!

I copied the .asoundrc from the home directory of the live cd once I booted into it, into the home directory of my hosed install. Then my previous settings magically worked again.
I forgot to mention XBMC is no longer starting on boot up.

I did some more digging and I tried this:

xbmc@xbmcbuntu:~$ sudo xbmc
[sudo] password for xbmc:
ALSA lib conf.c:1219Sadparse_def) default is not a compound
ALSA lib conf.c:1685Sadsnd_config_load1) _toplevel_:1:13:Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3467Sadsnd_config_hook_load) /home/xbmc/.asoundrc may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
ALSA lib conf.c:3326Sadsnd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3713Sadsnd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration
Running DIL (3.22.0) Version
DtsDeviceOpen: Opening HW in mode 0
DtsDeviceOpen: Create File Failed
Home directory /home/xbmc not ours.
ALSA lib conf.c:1219Sadparse_def) default is not a compound
ALSA lib conf.c:1685Sadsnd_config_load1) _toplevel_:1:13:Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3467Sadsnd_config_hook_load) /home/xbmc/.asoundrc may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
ALSA lib conf.c:3326Sadsnd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3713Sadsnd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration
Segmentation fault
Crash report available at /home/xbmc/xbmc_crashlog-20120830_193443.log

I am still new to XBMC trouble shooting but that looks like it might have to do with the sound. Though I have no idea how to trouble shoot a seg fault.

I hope this is not annoying for anyone, me posting my process. If it is let me know.

So I listened to the above message and I moved my .asoundrc file. Then I got this:

xbmc@xbmcbuntu:~$ sudo xbmc
[sudo] password for xbmc:
Running DIL (3.22.0) Version
DtsDeviceOpen: Opening HW in mode 0
DtsDeviceOpen: Create File Failed
there is no soundcard
Home directory /home/xbmc not ours.

However now media would play. I just get the can't initialize sound warning in XBMC.

With the right settings I can get it now, so that the "can't initialize sound" does not show up but I still get the "there is no sound card"

I have been googling around and checking these forums but I still can't find a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
delete any asound.conf files you might have e.g. /etc/asound.conf ~/.asound.conf

edit: you might want to remove pulseaudio
I finally figured it out.

I guess some how while I was getting zsnes to work for the Rom Collection Browser add-on the .asoundrc file got messed up.

I loaded up the XBMCbuntu live CD and copied it over, then went back into my install and re copied it. Now it works again.

I have no idea how it happened but it worked.