Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Silverstone ML03 HTPC system [with Pics]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2012-09-03, 22:04)Arkitket Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-03, 21:53)NZXBMC Wrote: [ -> ]In terms of the whole AMD vs Intel, how much difference would I notice on this system if I went for a Core i3 2105

New Ivy Bridge i3's were released yesterday. Take a look at the i3-3220 with HD2500 iGPU or the i3-3225 with HD4000 iGPU

Hard to find in the UK at the mo.
(2012-09-03, 21:53)NZXBMC Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-03, 17:30)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]The perfect match PSU for that case is this "Silverstone Tech. Strider SST-ST40F-ES 400W'. The PSU fan is perfectly designed to match ML03 vent. If you want to fully utilize front USB 3.0 of ML03, you might want to consider this "GIGABYTE GA-A75M-D2H" motherboard instead....

I think I will use that PSU that you suggested.

In terms of the whole AMD vs Intel, how much difference would I notice on this system if I went for a Core i3 2105
For sure, you'll have stronger CPU in i3-2105 than A6-3500. HD3000 should able to handle playback blu-ray in 1080P and bitstreaming HD audio as well as HD6530D.........

(2012-09-03, 18:26)Glen M Wrote: [ -> ]The move to intel might cost a bit more but I highly recommend it. The 1155 socket is going to be around for a while and you have great upgrade potential with the i5 and i7 both sandy and ivy bridge series of chips were AMD are already talking of ditching FM1 for the new APUs coming out later this year.

After some quick reading, I might now consider the new i3-3225, better CPU and slightly more future proof. It will take my cost up a bit tho, that's the downside.
True your cost will jump but if you consider future proofing I think its worth it. I went for the ivy bridge i5 3570k and ok its a fiar bit more expensive than the AMD but it blows it away in terms of preformance. XBMC playing back a 1080p mkv and the CPU usage sits about 3-4%.

I went for the i5 as this machine is also a gaming rig so I needed the grunt. If I was building a purely HTPC the i3 is the way foward.
(2012-09-03, 22:16)NZXBMC Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-03, 22:04)Arkitket Wrote: [ -> ]New Ivy Bridge i3's were released yesterday. Take a look at the i3-3220 with HD2500 iGPU or the i3-3225 with HD4000 iGPU

Hard to find in the UK at the mo.
Novatech

(2012-09-03, 21:05)warrmr Wrote: [ -> ]Well I can confirm that a full sized ATX PSU will fit in the ML03, it is a little tight for cables in there but you can hide them in the hdd bracket under where the Optical drive sits.
+1 for hiding the cables under the ODD.

If you go with a mITX as your post #1 there is LOADS of room. Photo of my build using a mITX mobo and the ML03B case, (more photos here):

To answer question 2 of post #1 I didn't need any additional case fans. It all depends on what hardware you end up with.
(2012-09-04, 00:32)charlie0440 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-03, 21:05)warrmr Wrote: [ -> ]Well I can confirm that a full sized ATX PSU will fit in the ML03, it is a little tight for cables in there but you can hide them in the hdd bracket under where the Optical drive sits.

If you go with a mITX as your post #1 there is LOADS of room. Photo of my build using a mITX mobo and the ML03B case, (more photos here):

To answer question 2 of post #1 I didn't need any additional case fans. It all depends on what hardware you end up with.

That is some neat cabling, there seems to be 100% more space in your case than in mine as well but that could be because I have a full sized HDD on that bracket to the left. where are you hiding the HDD on yours it it under the ODD aswell.

Also how difficult is it to put the lid on the case, I found that mine had a slight bow in the top cover so you had to have one hand on the front then gently tap the it into place with your palm.
(2012-09-04, 11:54)warrmr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-04, 00:32)charlie0440 Wrote: [ -> ]

That is some neat cabling, there seems to be 100% more space in your case than in mine as well but that could be because I have a full sized HDD on that bracket to the left. where are you hiding the HDD on yours it it under the ODD aswell.

Also how difficult is it to put the lid on the case, I found that mine had a slight bow in the top cover so you had to have one hand on the front then gently tap the it into place with your palm.
I like to do a neat job with the cabling, it helps with the airflow. I considered removing the hard drive mount bracket at the front of the case but decided to leave it in.

Off memory under the ODD bracket are 2 * 2.5" hard drive caddies, one houses most of my PSU cables the other my SSD. The motherboard also has a mSATA connection on the bottom of the board for an SSD but I didn't have a mSATA drive.

Lid shuts fine.
(2012-09-03, 07:40)NZXBMC Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all

Finally come up with the specs of what I think I need for my new HTPC system. This is the first one I'm building so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Will be running Win 7 + XBMC + SABNZBD + Sick Beard.

[CASE] Silverstone Milo ML03B microATX, Black, Slim/HTPC Case with USB 3.0 w/o PSU (can take ATX)

[PS] 430W be quiet! Pure Power L8-CM, Modular, 80Plus Bronze, 120mm Silent Wings fan, ATX, PSU

[MB] Asus F1A75-M PRO, AMD A75, S FM1, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, RAID SATA, PCIe 2.0 (x16), Graphics On Board, mATX

[CPU] AMD A6 3500, S FM1, Lynx Core, Triple Core 2.4GHz, GPU AMD Radeon HD 6530D 443MHz, 65W, Retail

[RAM] 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.65V

[SSD] 64GB Crucial RealSSD M4, 2.5" SSD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, MLC-Flash, Read 500MB/s, Write 95MB/s

[FAN] Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B Low Profile CPU Cooler, SCBSK-2100

Questions:
1) What is the best Remote and IR solution to use with Win 7?
2) Do I need any further cooling like case fans and so on?
3) Is 4GB Ram more than enough?

1. Any eHome remote, and then you can use a universal remote as well.
2. No but I generally always but a quiet fan wherever a case has room for it.
3. Yes.

*** You can easily use the stock cooler if you want to save some money. I run it in an even smaller case and it is perfectly silent and very cool after throttling the fan speed.

*** You could use a smaller power supply.

Overall great build.
(2012-09-03, 18:26)Glen M Wrote: [ -> ]CASE - Consider the taller silverstone GB04 or 05 cases. I just built a rig with the GB04 and trust me there isn't much room for getting everything in. If your using the slim case I don't know how it will fit.
PS - Seems ok
MB and CPU - Seriously consider intel over AMD. I would always of been the first to say AMD over intel but their recent chips aren't up to much (just check any benchmark reviews hence why I just built my first intel rig since my pentium 60) The AMD A series can easily be beat hands down by an i3 with a graphics card.
RAM - 4Gb will do fine but with the prices so low atm 8gb can be had for under £40 and at that price is hard to look past.
SSD - Again looks fine just don't go any lower than 60gb. My new HTPC with windows 7, driver and XBMC on a 60gb SSD has now just 19gb left.
FAN - Looks ok but might not be needed if you consider the taller case and perhaps the silverstone passive cooler. Take into account the taller case has 3 120mm fans that are fairly quiet.

The move to intel might cost a bit more but I highly recommend it. The 1155 socket is going to be around for a while and you have great upgrade potential with the i5 and i7 both sandy and ivy bridge series of chips were AMD are already talking of ditching FM1 for the new APUs coming out later this year.

If you decide to stick to the slim case then I would watch case temps and make a call on additional cooling. With the small case heat will build up more and you may run into problems. Even in my case the CPU sits at about 33degrees idle (ok it is clocked to 4.5ghz) and the mobo sits at about 31degrees celcius which is ok for the chip but just a tad high I feel for the motherboard. There is a GTX680 cutting my case in half and restricting air flow but you get the idea.

This is not very good advice. Why should he pay 70-90 dollars more for one of the new i3's when it is completely unnecessary? The A6-3500 will run XBMC, 1080p, and everything perfectly with no problems. I can't imagine any reason to think that this will change any time soon either. XBMC and 1080p video is not going to get more demanding any time soon. The A6 will work fine, and it probably even has better graphics performance. Unless you get a discrete card with the i3 in which case you are talking about even more money.
(2012-09-04, 11:54)warrmr Wrote: [ -> ]Also how difficult is it to put the lid on the case, I found that mine had a slight bow in the top cover so you had to have one hand on the front then gently tap the it into place with your palm.

I also have the ML03 case and mine closed fine.
You might have something, every so slightly, lifted up
Open the case,..look at the case and contents from the side at eye level.
You might see the thing that is causing the problem.

Question,..that bracer bar,...I'm not sure if it can be installed upside down,..but that could be a possibility.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Check the brace bar you may have it on upside down.

David

(2012-09-04, 16:03)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-04, 11:54)warrmr Wrote: [ -> ]Also how difficult is it to put the lid on the case, I found that mine had a slight bow in the top cover so you had to have one hand on the front then gently tap the it into place with your palm.

I also have the ML03 case and mine closed fine.
You might have something, every so slightly, lifted up
Open the case,..look at the case and contents from the side at eye level.
You might see the thing that is causing the problem.

Question,..that bracer bar,...I'm not sure if it can be installed upside down,..but that could be a possibility.

Oops....didn't see this post, yes the brace bar does only fit properly one way.

David
(2012-09-04, 14:34)beetlesnack Wrote: [ -> ]This is not very good advice. Why should he pay 70-90 dollars more for one of the new i3's when it is completely unnecessary? The A6-3500 will run XBMC, 1080p, and everything perfectly with no problems. I can't imagine any reason to think that this will change any time soon either. XBMC and 1080p video is not going to get more demanding any time soon. The A6 will work fine, and it probably even has better graphics performance. Unless you get a discrete card with the i3 in which case you are talking about even more money.

I think I might stick with my original build, to build with the new core i3 ivy bridge really pushes the price. Considering that I won't game off it and by reading through other threads in this forum, the A6-3500 should be more than capable as a HTPC.
If you are looking for future-proofing without the huge jump in price, look at the new Ivy Bridge Pentium G2120 Should be more than sufficient if you don't plan on gaming.
(2012-09-05, 00:02)Arkitket Wrote: [ -> ]If you are looking for future-proofing without the huge jump in price, look at the new Ivy Bridge Pentium G2120 Should be more than sufficient if you don't plan on gaming.

What GPU does the G2120 have?
Pages: 1 2 3 4