Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why not WMC as backend?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
(2013-07-25, 20:28)Livin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-25, 16:57)hyde01 Wrote: [ -> ]Temporary solution until WMC backend is here, I just schedule my recordings in WMC, also let WMC do the hunting with keyword search & record, and then I just use Recorded TV folder in XBMC and watch my recordings, sorted by date. If there was a way for XBMC to decode and display plot summary, etc.. I could very well live with this setup until WMC backend arrives.

I use WMC as a "back-end" only. All recordings are played using XBMC and any series/show schedules (adds, changes,etc) using the free Remote Potato app, using browser or free Remote Media Center android app. This is much quicker than any 10 foot UI.

I don't channel surf (ie, waste time in front of the tv), so I have no need for a guide in XBMC. I know what I want to watch, it is set to record and I use xbmc to play it and delete it when done.

This way I never watch commercials either. Kind of amazes me people channel surf.

As for the remote... I use Harmony but will be switching to ATI wonder, rd remote, once I get it configured to turn on my receiver and tv.
-- if anyone has done this already, please let me know how you did it. The

Are you using any renamer software, or just keeping the default WMC file names?
(2013-07-25, 02:11)hyde01 Wrote: [ -> ]Junno, you would be lucky to find it for $99, but even with that it is not a complete solution. When you assign keys, don't you still have to change input?
I think my solution is going to be just setting WMC for recording, and watching everything from XBMC, if I really need to watch something on TV, I will just either watch it on WMC or try to just use guide to remind me and then use strm files to watch it on XBMC.

I always felt more comfortable being able to just remap buttons instead of relying on preprogrammed functionality that's locked in by manufacturer. I have to admit I did not try Harmony One, though.

Not sure what you mean by changing inputs. I have WMC and XBMC as separate "activities" on my harmony one. When I hit the XBMC activity from within WMC my remote sends a command and an autohotkey shuts down WMC and launches XBMC. To switch back, I used advance launcher within XBMC to launch an autohotkey that kills XBMC then launches WMC. All of my buttons are independently configurable within each activity on my remote.
For renaming the file you can use "WTV-MetaRenamer." This will include the title and S**E** labeling. You will need to have PowerShell installed.

Jeff
(2013-07-25, 02:11)hyde01 Wrote: [ -> ]Junno, you would be lucky to find it for $99, but even with that it is not a complete solution. When you assign keys, don't you still have to change input?
I think my solution is going to be just setting WMC for recording, and watching everything from XBMC, if I really need to watch something on TV, I will just either watch it on WMC or try to just use guide to remind me and then use strm files to watch it on XBMC.

I always felt more comfortable being able to just remap buttons instead of relying on preprogrammed functionality that's locked in by manufacturer. I have to admit I did not try Harmony One, though.

The Logitech Harmony allows you to set up Activities, which control multiple devices.
So, you, say, select the "XBMC" activity, and it automatically switches on your TV, sets it to the right input, brings your PC out of standby, starts up XBMC (if not already running), and loads the keymaps on every button that XBMC needs. Then you load the WMC activity, and it shutds down XBMC (if set up that way), starts up WMC, and loads the WMC keybindings.

When you switch between activities, it keeps awake devices that are needed, and shuts down those that aren't nheeded any more. When you press the power off button on the report, it shuts everything down, puts them in standby, or leaves them on, depending on how you want each device to be treated. (When I was having resume-from-standby problems with my media centre, I set the remote to just leave the pc on all the time. The activity button just controlled which software was loaded or switched off)

Before using the QuickWMC program earlier in this thread, I had separate activities for XBMC, WMC, the TV's inbuilt tuner, and the Wii. I have now combined WMC and XBMC into one activity, and have another for loading Steam.
Any dev news on the wmc backend Project?

Sent from my iPhone 2
I have missed this forum activity - sorry about that. If it happens again, somebody PM me. I have been traveling and then building a new game, oops - I mean DEVELOPMENT - machine. So I haven't gotten a lot done, but I am back on it now. And I have time going forward (at least until I get solar panels installed in a few weeks, then I plan on sitting in my backyard and drinking beer while I watch my pge meter spin backwards).

For an update, I have added the ability to schedule manual recordings (not tied to an episode, just time and channel), thanks to the tester who noticed it was missing. Also my friend tomba73 has linux clients working. I would like to get some testers for linux, if any are reading this please PM me. We also have version control running for development (thanks to tomba73 for that too).

As for wtv streaming, I have been having trouble getting hold of Jeff, I assume he is swamped with the new job, which sucks for us, but that’s life. I think I will release with just 'ts' live tv streaming (which is very slow in its current incarnation, but it works, and it could possibly be sped up if need be). Then when Jeff is back online and finishes the ffmpeg code, ‘wtv’ mode can be enabled in the server.

I plan on releasing in early august (seems fitting, since it was last august when I got the idea). It would be great to have someone check out linux before then, so again PM me if you can (but only if you really can test it and provide feedback).

--kr

PS I wrote a version of quickwmc that optionally masks out (or remaps) green button presses, but decided in the end it over complicated what should be a simple program so I decided to not release it. I could resurrect it though if there is interest.
Hi

this message is for the developers such as Krustyreturns and Jeff. I have read about issues with ffmpeg and WTV files. Just thought I'd give a heads up in case you're not aware. Not sure if its relevant.

http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/406867
http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/435805

Jeff
i currently run openelec on both my Master bedroom HTPC and my spare bedroom HTPC, the windows client is in livingroom as it doubles as a steambox as well. id gladly give it a whirl if you like.
can just as easily switch out one of the drives and run xbmcbuntu if it helps.
Is there any chance of intelligently ignoring channels/recordings based on their copy protection status? My local cable co flags some channels as Copy Once, and short of someone breaking PlayReady, XBMC has no chance of playing those files.
(2013-08-05, 20:27)ascagnel Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any chance of intelligently ignoring channels/recordings based on their copy protection status? My local cable co flags some channels as Copy Once, and short of someone breaking PlayReady, XBMC has no chance of playing those files.

Yes, there is a chance Smile. Finding out the state of playready per channel is not as straight forward as you might think, but recently I found a way that might determine it reliably (needs to be tested some more). I have not implemented filtering out channels based on it yet.
Having the option of just hiding channels you dont want to see would probably be better than an automated solution. Is that possible?
When setting up WMC, there's a whole bunch of unencrypted shopping and game show channels I hide, along with the encrypted ones.
Happy to test the Linux side of things. I have a "server" WMC machine which currently has 2 Xbox 360 Extenders. I have recently built an Openelec Intel NUC device which connects to my media collection and I would like to try connecting it to the WMC backend.
I can test the Linux side also. I have a Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc and 2 OpenELEC (ION2) machines. I moved from MCE to MediaPortal for XBMC, but I still have the MCE box and all my recordings. I still have 2 OTA tuners that I could use in it.
(2013-08-06, 06:49)MeMeMe Wrote: [ -> ]Having the option of just hiding channels you dont want to see would probably be better than an automated solution. Is that possible?
When setting up WMC, there's a whole bunch of unencrypted shopping and game show channels I hide, along with the encrypted ones.

If I implement auto hiding based on drm it will be an optional setting. In addition the server currently hides channels from xbmc that are already hidden in wmc, so those settings will transfer. The ability to show/hide channels from inside the server software beyond wmc's settings is not implement yet, but I would like to add that.
(2013-08-06, 18:49)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-06, 06:49)MeMeMe Wrote: [ -> ]Having the option of just hiding channels you dont want to see would probably be better than an automated solution. Is that possible?

If I implement auto hiding based on drm it will be an optional setting. In addition the server currently hides channels from xbmc that are already hidden in wmc, so those settings will transfer. The ability to show/hide channels from inside the server software beyond wmc's settings is not implement yet, but I would like to add that.

Ah, I see. That sounds good.
Will it show channels in the order they are shown in WMC? That would be cool. I've reorganised things there, and it would be nice not to have to do it again.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28