Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: unRAID Server Setup Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2012-09-05, 22:45)thrashmagazine Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-05, 21:27)Diggs Wrote: [ -> ]Thrashmagazine,

Not sure if you are aware of this deal, but I just ordered a 12 bay 2U server from them.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-yo...lternative

Thanks for the post. I think I am looking to build something however, the deal looks good (not gonna lie, the company looks sketch though Wink). Any PC company that has a website that isn't functioning is a bit scary in my eyes. But regardless, I want the fun of building Big Grin

Not that my word carries any weight here, but just to follow up on this. My 12 bay 2U server arrived Friday in perfect working order. But agree, sketchy that an IT based firm has website issues. However mine came through
Hello,
Joined to get info on xbmc hardware ideas and stumbled on unraid info. Seems I'm a few years behind the unraid movement--didn't even know it existed (still a lot of new info to digest). After reading about its benefits, I couldn't resist taking the plunge, so I ordered some hardware.

Thrashmagaze, it is almost the same as your configuration, so hopefully you can lead the way and provide any updates on your success. I only have two 3TB drives now, but was hoping I can add it later once the server is configured and running. Eventually planning on purchasing pro version when I feel comfortable in the new environment.

Let the fun/learning begin.

P.S. Question for down the road: Is there software that will allow backup of one unraid server to another offsite unraid server?
(2012-09-28, 02:00)Jumbo_flyer Wrote: [ -> ]Thrashmagaze, it is almost the same as your configuration, so hopefully you can lead the way and provide any updates on your success. I only have two 3TB drives now, but was hoping I can add it later once the server is configured and running. Eventually planning on purchasing pro version when I feel comfortable in the new environment.

Hey, so far so good, unRAID is awesome in my eyes and I have only had it up and fully running for a week now. Below is what I ended up doing completely:

Case: AZZA Helios 910 SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($79.99 + $30 mail-in)
Mobo: ASRock 880GM-LE FX AM3+ AMD 880G Micro ATX ($54.99)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core ($59.99)
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($54.99 + $10 off with CollegeSave10 promo code)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) ($19.99)
Hot Swap: SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B Black 5x 3.5" Hot-swap SATA Hard Disk Drive Trays ($99.99)

2x2TB WD Green Drives (one of them parity)
1x2TB Seagate Barracuda
2x1.5TB WD Green Drives
1x1TB WD Drive
1x500GB WD Drive (Cache)

So I am running with 7TB, 2 TB parity and 500GB cache. The installation of unRAID was VERY simple and straightforward (I would recommend joining up on the unRAID forums as well). I would also recommend using the preclear scripts to preclear your two DBs. Currently my setup has unMENU, SimpleFeatures, CrashPlan, SABnzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato and Headphones running on it (cache). If you use Usenet, you want Sab, Couch and Sick. If you want unRAID to not look like it was created in 1998, get SimpleFeatures. I came from a 0 Linux knowledge world, so once you get over the 1st hurdle of getting a plugin to install/work, everything else is easy to setup, by all means though post any questions you have!

CrashPlan must hate me Smile

The Case I bought has enough room to put in 2 5x3 bays, but with modifications, nothing a set of pliers can't handle Smile I am also getting active on the unRAID forums since it is becoming a bit of an addiction for me (trust me its awesome).
(2012-09-28, 02:00)Jumbo_flyer Wrote: [ -> ]Question for down the road: Is there software that will allow backup of one unraid server to another offsite unraid server?
Yes, it's called rsync.
Nice post - I went unRAID from a WHS box and never looked back. I've got the unRAID system running all I need (minimal...it stores data, that is all I care about), and I haven't really touched it in 2 years.

As for offsite - yeah, rsync...but honestly I found all of this to be a pain in the ass. I just ended up accepting that if something explodes in my apartment then so be it. Long term, I'd love to see Limetech offer a smart way of syncing data with an online host. Or an add-in that does this. But I honestly do not want to be a full-time IT administrator and go backing up data using an external hard drive and the moving it somewhere for safe keeping. That's just me, to each their own. I wanted something with zero overhead to maintain, and unRAID fit the bill.

Oh, and not to mention they gave me a free upgrade from the basic version when I bought because I put in the order comments field: "I want the parity in my mouth!" So they are cool guys. I hope they get bought out some day and make a nice return.
Initial hardware setup went well. only missing the 3.5->5.25 adapters to mount in server. I will probably upgraded to the hot swap type when I find another good deal on 3tb drives.

I was following the setup guide and got this command: "dmesg|grep SATA|grep link"
What is the character before "grep"? Searched the forums and it has evaded me.

Server is currently doing the preclear at about 110m/s. I thought the SATA 3 would be faster. At that rate it will take about 10 hours. Temps have been 36-37C.

Next will be to learn about SimpleFeatures, CrashPlan, SABnzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato, Headphones, rsync (etc).

So far good experience despite steep learning curve.

Thrashmagazine: do you tweak anything in your BIOS? I just set the time and the boot options and all went well. Also, I didn't see in the MB manual where to plug that little speaker dongle into. Did you use it?

Thanks for your help.
^^That is the vertical pipe character and it is located above the backslash character. Shift + \ = |.
(2012-09-29, 05:31)Jumbo_flyer Wrote: [ -> ]Initial hardware setup went well. only missing the 3.5->5.25 adapters to mount in server. I will probably upgraded to the hot swap type when I find another good deal on 3tb drives.

I was following the setup guide and got this command: "dmesg|grep SATA|grep link"
What is the character before "grep"? Searched the forums and it has evaded me.

Server is currently doing the preclear at about 110m/s. I thought the SATA 3 would be faster. At that rate it will take about 10 hours. Temps have been 36-37C.

Next will be to learn about SimpleFeatures, CrashPlan, SABnzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato, Headphones, rsync (etc).

So far good experience despite steep learning curve.

Thrashmagazine: do you tweak anything in your BIOS? I just set the time and the boot options and all went well. Also, I didn't see in the MB manual where to plug that little speaker dongle into. Did you use it?

Thanks for your help.

I didnt plug in the dongle... As for the motherboard I just followed what they recommended BIOS, sorry for the delay, was out of town.
Looking at building an unRAID setup that's decently powerful and has expandability. Using it for Serviio, Sick Beard, SABnzbd and a few other plugins as well. I have $450 in Amazon gift cards so I'd like to buy everything there. What does everyone think about this?

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($62.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 880GM-LE FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1066 Memory ($21.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Azza Helios 910 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $260.76
(2012-09-29, 15:36)wsume99 Wrote: [ -> ]^^That is the vertical pipe character and it is located above the backslash character. Shift + \ = |.

Thanks for info.

I should have figured out the | symbol. It has a break in the middle of the character (like an elongated colon) on the keyboard attached to the unraid server. The other keyboards are correct.

Still waiting for the preclear to complete. sigh
(2012-09-30, 02:01)Jumbo_flyer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-29, 15:36)wsume99 Wrote: [ -> ]^^That is the vertical pipe character and it is located above the backslash character. Shift + \ = |.

Thanks for info.

I should have figured out the | symbol. It has a break in the middle of the character (like an elongated colon) on the keyboard attached to the unraid server. The other keyboards are correct.

Still waiting for the preclear to complete. sigh

Ya, preclear took me about a week, I ran it 2 times on all drives.

(2012-09-30, 02:01)greenythebeast Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at building an unRAID setup that's decently powerful and has expandability. Using it for Serviio, Sick Beard, SABnzbd and a few other plugins as well. I have $450 in Amazon gift cards so I'd like to buy everything there. What does everyone think about this?

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Looks good but if you ever plan to go 10+ drives you will want a different power supply like the one I got.
(2012-09-30, 02:01)greenythebeast Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at building an unRAID setup that's decently powerful and has expandability. Using it for Serviio, Sick Beard, SABnzbd and a few other plugins as well. I have $450 in Amazon gift cards so I'd like to buy everything there. What does everyone think about this?

I have had both AMD and Intel CPUs in my server over the past year or so and I can tell you I would definitely go for an Intel G530 CPU. A G530 CPU will be more powerful and more efficient than the Athlon you've selected and it's cheaper. You can get whatever MB you want to. A H61 or H67 would probably be your best bet in terms of value in the MB department.
(2012-09-07, 08:03)Mick1152 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-07, 04:55)thrashmagazine Wrote: [ -> ]Since I am running everything off of this NAS (CPotato, SickB, SAB, MySQL), do I want to use a cache drive, or is it a waste of a HDD spot?

Like everybody else said, if you're running SAB/Sick/Couch you do want to use a cache drive. When SAB is downloading all the parts and working with the files it uses the heck out of your drive, you don't want all that work going onto your protected array and your system having to calculate parity for the rapidly changing files while it is downloading and processing them.

(2012-09-07, 06:04)Rafiki Wrote: [ -> ]From what I have been reading on the unRaid forums, you should definitely use a cache drive for SickB, SAB etc.. as these addons make the drive its installed on spin virtually all of the time. You do not want your primary drives spinning any more than they actually have to. These unRaid plugins are specifically made to run on a cache drive.

SAB and Sick are the only two I use at the moment and yes, they made my cache drive pretty much never sleep. Would sleep a bit but I could hear it spin up very frequently, like every 30 minutes to an hour maybe? Got tired of this and investigated it a bit checking for open files and what was opening them etc. Seemed SAB and Sick both liked to open the config files frequently but didn't make any writes. I got tired of that and set the configuration to keep my config and log files on the flash drive but use the cache drive for my download drive. Since then, my cache drive sleeps normally. I'm sure there's probably some very bad reason not to do this but, I don't want my cache drive spinning constantly for no real reason.

Interesting.... I wan't to move SAB and SICK to my unraid rig.... seems then the Sempron will do the trick.
I been debating to buy a new processor...

now I wonder if moving your config files to your usb stick is a bad idea....?

wsume99 says a G530 would be better... but that means I have to buy a new mobo....

If you're going to move the config files somewhere else, I strongly recommend using a second flash drive.

Do not have these applications store their files on the unraid flash drive. After all, your unraid license is tied to the flash drive's serial and if you kill it, you'll have to deal with limetech to get a new license. (Not to mention you'll lose your unraid config when the flash drive dies)

Also the sempron will have no problems running sab/sick/couch and/or mysql. The only things that will really push it to its limits are *potentially* VM's (depending on the apps you run inside) and anything that does transcoding like airvideo or plex

With that said, I unlocked my sempron 145 to reveal an athlon ii x2 4450e and it can handle all of the above including a WinXP virtualbox client and Airvideo server
Pages: 1 2 3