Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best media manager
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the best media manager Is it ember or is there one that is better I basically Need to generate a poster fanart and nfo for my media which gets loaded into one of my machines and sync to the other with mysql
Ive liked MC
did you use the built in scrapers?

they do a wonderful job (I use the imdb scraper for movies)

update your database on one computer, and the others get updated through mysql. You can either share your thumbnails through path substitution or symlinks; or you can keep them local, but use either rsync or dropbox to sync them between different machines I use dropbox for now since all my machines are running windows).

Every once in a while, I export the database to separate files and xbmc creates all the metadata and the nfos in the media folders.
after almost a year since I first discovered XBMC I have heard of many media managers.

The two most common that I hear about repeatedly are Ember Media Manager and Media Companion. I just happened to find Media Companion FIRST and learned how that worked. Tried Ember MM and it was fine but since I think I learned Media Companion first...I opted to stay with that one. If I found Ember first I probably would be saying things in reverse.

Far as I understand they are both fantastic.

P.S. I also noted that most peoples problems are from MIS-naming media. Even though it is not fully necessary when I first started inputting things to a digital format (for XBMC) I took the time to name them correctly and I never have to "go back" to fix anything. 99% correctness the first time. Last time I remember I had to manually check was due to MY naming mistake!

I use:
C:/Movies/Movie name (year)/Movie name (year).mkv.......(I also put each movie into separate folders with year...this is NOT necessary though)
ex...C:/Movies/The Matrix (1999)/The Matrix (1999).mkv

C:/TV Shows/Big Bang Theory/S01E01 - Name of episode.mkv ................(S01E01 = Season 1, Episode 1)

Hope this helps anyone who is listening
Once I started using the naming conventions listed above by skyking376, the built in scrapers started really working well. Take the time to initially change them to this convention, and then take the time to do it with each new Download or RIP...makes for a much better XBMC experience! Now, if someone can help me with my Albums!! The Folder/naming convention i've been using is like this:

w:\media\music\albums\artist\album title\songtitle1.mp3
w:\media\music\albums\artist\album title\songtitle2.mp3

I then us CDART to download the cd/cover/fan/ artwork. Works for the most part but it doesnt seem to find or identify all of my albums and or artist as albums or artist, and so doesn't get updated with artwork. I've been lazier with the albums, and naming conventions. Some that I download are close, but the album titles for example, include the artist name, lik this:

w:\media\music\albums\artist\artist name - album title\songs

This is most prevailent when I download large Discographys, and just don't take the time to rename them. Would this cause issues with the scrapers and addons? Any advise about directory structure or naming conventions for our music collections would be appreciated. Also, any advise or tweaks, or new installs for the visualizations also appreciated. Music is the only slightly let down for me so far, probably due to my own lack of knowledge, of an otherwise AWSOME XBMC experience!!! Thanks guys for all you do!!
Ember isn't perfect, but it's awesome... for my needs it comes the closet; although I have a whole Windows VM just so I can use it :p
I can recommend TV Rename 2.2.0b10 which works very well and is easy to use.
Media Companion - very good with XBMC
xbmc - really the best with xbmc.

...and none of the external ones can do what the Universal Scraper can.
(2012-09-21, 17:37)olympia Wrote: [ -> ]xbmc - really the best with xbmc.

95% of my media scrapes perfectly with the baked-in scrapers (Universals). Sometimes I'll change up artwork, and Artwork downloader makes this easy to accomplish as well.

The only content that seems to be a little finicky for me are Concert Videos, and this really just comes down to the info that is available on tmdb, and personal preference.

Other than that, I haven't used a 3rd party utility to scrape for quite awhile.
(2012-09-21, 17:37)olympia Wrote: [ -> ]xbmc - really the best with xbmc.

Universal Scraper is fantastic, gives the user more control over where their info comes from. I am very consistent with my naming conventions and with Universal Scraper I have no need for an external manager.
I would really like to play uplink, but I didn't get how it works?