Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio issues after Linux kernal update tonight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tonight Ubuntu's Update Manager offered a Linux kernal update and I let it install - usually this causes no problems but this one screwed up my audio. When I tried to play a video an error message popped up saying that the audio output had failed and that I should check my settings. I discovered that some of my XBMC settings had been changed somehow so I changed them to what is shown in this thread (in post #4):

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126445

However I can't tell for sure if I have lost my 5.1 sound again. XBMC's System Info shows:

Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-30-generic=pae#48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 17...
XBMC 11.0 Git:unknown (Compiled Mar 25 2012)

The operating system is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (note that I upgraded the OS since posting in the previous thread) running on an Acer Aspire Revo. It has an optical output that I use to feed my receiver. If anyone has a similar setup and ran into this issue and can tell me what the correct settings should be, I'd much appreciate it.

WHY does Ubuntu keep screwing up their audio? (rhetorical question). Is there any place I could download a short test video that would tell me for sure if 5.1 sound is working? I know I should be able to tell with just my ears but not all video uses surround sound.
Dolby/DTS/THX Trailers: http://www.digital-digest.com/movies/mov...type=dolby

were there any other questions in your post? (it's early in the morning, before first coffee)
(2012-09-06, 05:20)xbmcliveuser Wrote: [ -> ]WHY does Ubuntu keep screwing up their audio?

just to annoy us, I had a perfect working 10.04 system then ubuntu updated itself and died, so update to 12.04 fight like hell to get audio over hdmi to work get it working, ubuntu updates and kills audio......ubuntu does everything I need except breaking itself....