Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sharing thumbnails between profiles on the same box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been using XBMC for a couple of years now and I love it. I never tried using profiles untill now. The problem I'm having is this:
I'm trying to create 3 different profiles, eg: user1, user2, user3. I want all the profiles to have separate databases and sources (separate watched status, bookmarks, etc), but I want ALL 3 profiles to share cached thumbnails. But it seems that every new profile with separate "media info" and "media sources" have separate thumbnails folder/cache as well. That's really not good at all, as scanning media to library takes forever, when all the thumbs need to be cached again. Further more, it's a waste of space (quite significant).

Questions:
  1. Am I missing something, or is there any simple way to share cached thumbs between profiles on the same machine (same xbmc)? I mean, all 3 databases have the same files (same file paths, iirc that is used to get hashes) in the library.
  2. Is it possible to have SOME profiles sharing thumbs and some - not. Eg: user1 and user2 share thumbs, but user3 has everything separate.
  3. All I could find on the wiki and forums is Path Substitution or Symbolic Links. Are these the only 2 options for this problem?
  4. If answer 3 is yes, then which one is better? I'm on windows7.
I have exactly the same problem.
Did you find a solution yet?

Most of my boxes are PXE booted so the cache for different boxes is actually on the same server. Now for all users who use the boxes there has to be separate caches?
What would be the reason behind that?