Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Apple TV 2 - Can someone from Team XBMC confirm what is correct installation process?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there

I am experiencing streaming issues in some plugins and want to make my base installation is correct and the best most stable currently available.

Installing XBMC for Apple TV 2 Running iOS 5 for Mac dated 14th May 2012

then I read

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127369

Please can someone point me in the right direction?

Should I be on 11.04 or 11.03 for ATV2 5.0.1 (5.1.1)?

If I should be on 11.04 which steps should I exclude from "Installing XBMC for Apple TV 2 Running iOS 5 for Mac dated 14th May 2012" advice?

Much appreciated as I seem to be going around in circles with reading posts that are nearly a year old and wondering if anything has changed.
11.0-4 and 11.0-3 will be identical for you since you are on ATV software v5. The additional releases were for compatibility only and don't fix anything else. As always, you should be safe following the wiki instructions for installation: HOW-TO:Install XBMC on Apple TV 2 (wiki)
Hi Ned Scott,

Thanks for the input.

I already did this earlier after following the 14th May instructions which downgrade the package to 11.0.3.

I read today that deleting the advancedsettings.xml can help ATV2 run smoother. The ATV2 has not got any real memory to speak of so why use it as a cache. That seems weird to me.

Played one film flawlessly but I guess I will no doubt find another film that runs poorly. From the base installation on wiki, is there anything else that is critical that should be done to improve the whole experience overall?
All common fixes that we know of are in the iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks again Ned.

I've now been through that but still some issues.

Am I missing something really basic here? Do I need to set up a download folder on my PC to where XBMC can download or buffer movies before somehow streaming them to the Apple TV?

I thought add-ons were supposed to scream directly. I know ATV2 memory is something like 8Gb.

To date, I have still not set an advancedsettings.xml because there seem to be so many different ones available. I did have the one on from Fusion which is 379B in size and then read somewhere that that could be causing the problem because of the cache size. Then I found one which was about 2.6Mb and am afraid to install thought as I don't believe it will improve anything..
I have looked at other troubleshooting in the iOS FAQ but am still not clear on this point either.

'Not enough space/memory

Shortcut: #Disk_space

Have you run out of space on your ATV2? Check with (via SSH) the df -k command. If any /dev/disk* filesystems are at 100%, use du -h / to see what's taking up space. or to show which files are, for example, bigger then 9 Mb do find / -size +9000b
First places to check are:
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/addons/packages
/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental
/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/Other
/private/var/cache/apt/archives/

It doesn't say what to do with these directories - Do I simply delete everything in them?

When I ran df -k

result is:-

Apple-TV:~ root# df -k
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/disk0s1s1 697032 615808 74256 90% /
devfs 26 26 0 100% /dev
/dev/disk0s1s2 7085368 391448 6693920 6% /private/var

On System >Settings in XBMC, it shows 59 - 63% of Memory Used at Idle. Is this high? It looks high to me.

Would a log help with this?

I doubt it because this paste is from Putty.
Any advice from other peoples' experience of memory usage on System Info on XBMC would be appreciated. Apple TV users only.
I'm not clear on what the actual issue is. Is there an add-on that is buffering a lot?