Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Virtual Machine for quick setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a virtual machine based off VMware that I have been using lately to setup clients with their media centers and was wondering if this is something that the community would value. The setup i use is as follows:
Host: VMware ESXI 5.0
VM: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Software:
SABnzbd
Couchpotato
Sickbeard
Headphones
Python
VMware Tools

I typically configure the machines with a 120GB SSD boot/system drive and use a mounted NFS/CIFS share for the mass storage. This seems to have worked very well and given me a few very happy customers over the last 6 months as it is very scalable, which comes in handy if you want to make a big jump in either storage or processing power on the media server (for transcoding).

When doing these setups I suggest using pfSense as a firewall and replacing their current router considering the amount of throughput, as i have had issues with off-the-shelf routers in the past and just lean towards this setup to avoid any possiblt issues with the router overloading and locking up.

Current machines i run off of are as follows:

VM Host: amd quad-core 2.99 ghz, 16gb ram, 120 GB boot drive, 2TB on-device storage (for pre-processing storage), mounted nfs share to my NAS
NAS: NetGear ReadyNAS RNDU4000 with 4x3TB Seagate drives. CIFS and NFS enabled on media share. (note in my experience, NFS is more reliable, but CIFS is easier to navigate)

If anyone has any suggestions for modification to this rig, please let me know. My goal in this post is to find out if anyone here would like to have access to my base setup for personal use or if anyone has any suggestions for modification to this rig. Thanks ahead of time for your posts!
Hey mate, would be real interested in getting a copy of this, got a link?