Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Bit-perfect audio output
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've a Mac Mini 2010 that I'm using as a media center. I've been using XBMCbuntu for a while, but thought that I would give Mountain Lion / XBMC Frodo alpha 5 a try.

I mainly use XBMC for listening to music, so I've connected a DAC (using the optical output) to achieve better sound quality. I've a lot of music with different bit resolution and sample rates. 16 bit-24 bit / 44 kHz-96 kHz. When using XBMCbuntu I could see that the DAC changed sample rate automatically depending on the sample rate of the music file. This was achieved with the help of ALSA. However when playing music in XBMC on Mac OS X, the sample rate is "locked to" whatever is set in the Audio MIDI Setup utility.

Do I need to add something in advancedsettings.xml to get automatic switching of sample-rates to work?

Another thing that I can't get to work is gapless playback. Whenever the next track starts to play, I always get a short pause. Is this also a setting?

Any suggestions on how to solve this is highly appreciated Smile
Regarding gapless playback in Frodo, I found this thread. Looks like gapless playback isn't supported (yet) with Audio Engine.

Anyone who knows if automatic switching of samples rates is supported?
Nope. CoreAudio (macosx) engine is a bit icky and after the featurerich alsa/softae engine. No ETA. I don't even know if someone works on improvment (i don't because coreaudio is a bitch to handle imo).
Thank you for sorting it out Memphiz.
Audioengine should be nearly identical to the other platforms now - for osx and ios (beside HD Audio Passthrough which is simply not possible on osx).