Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCBuntu - should I switch to ATI?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I've been an XBMC user for a couple of years now, and have generally found it excellent. I have used XBMC Live on a purpose-built under-TV box running AMD CPU and nVidia G210 fanless half-height graphics card.

However, I've been trying to switch to Eden and really struggling, for a couple of reasons. Basically, the nVidia bug just kills me half the time; almost eight out of 10 videos crash on playing, which makes it useless as a 'consumer' player. I've trawled through countless threads here and have yet to see any definitive way of fixing this.

I can switch to a different 'non-XBMC' version of XBMC - OpenELEC or even XBMCFreak - but then the other big bug catches me out, namely that when resuming from suspend (how I switch off my machine) the network connection is not awoken again. So everything in the library is seen as 'broken', when it's not.

I didn't have either of these problems with XBMC Live, incidentally. They've left me wondering whether I should take a hardware route to get around one of them and change the nVidia card to an ATI one? Except everyone here raves about nVidia - if that's the case, which versions of XBMCBuntu are you running to avoid the crash?

Just curious.

Incidentally, I detect more frustration on this forum from the user base about XBMCBuntu, and it's a tad frustrating to see it swatted down by staffers saying that the reason there are no monthly builds of XBMCBuntu is that it's meant to be stable. Put simply, the actual release itself does not live up to this criteria - hence people's urgent desire for something that works. And that's not to criticise those who do put time and coding effort into this; it's merely to say that as the 'all-in-one' solution, XBMCBuntu should surely match the stability of XBMC Live, shouldn't it?

Again, thanks to all who contribute here. Barring these two annoying glitches, XBMC really has transformed how we watch television in our house. I'm only praying that these problems get fixed in the next release...

Discy
Generally and historically, ATI support for Linux has been somewhat lacking. You may be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Check the Hardware for XBMC forum for recommendations on video cards that are Linux compatible.
In the words of Lord Vader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s
Thanks for the advice. I've done yet more digging into the network issue, and have a couple of other things to try. But the only way I've discovered so far to avoid the nVidia issue is to install XBMCBuntu, then upgrade the Ubuntu element within to 12.04. That seems to do the trick there - but then trips up every time I put the darn thing into suspend.

Fingers crossed the 'resume network' discussions on this forum yield a successful solution. It's a pretty useless media player box if it keeps losing track of where all the media is...

Discy
I've used nVidia GPUs almost exclusively on my HTPCs (Windows, Linux, and a hackintosh for OSX) for over 3 years now and have been pretty much problem free. Before that I was running XBMC on my XBox for about 3 years. I've also used the Intel Sandy Bridge IGP without much issue other than the 24p Intel chipset bug. I'm currently running stock XBMCbuntu with a GT430 GPU, previously a GT210, and know nothing of the nVidia "bug" you are talking about. The inability to maintain a network connection when resuming from suspend is most likely a motherboard chipset issue if you are using an onboard NIC. You might have undiscovered hardware problems.

The GT210 I stuck in an old Compaq SFF machine and set it up as an HTPC with XBMCbuntu for my father, and as far as I know, it's running like a champ. On the Linux side, it's hard to go wrong with a properly set-up and working nVidia GPU.

Quote:Incidentally, I detect more frustration on this forum from the user base about XBMCBuntu, and it's a tad frustrating to see it swatted down by staffers saying that the reason there are no monthly builds of XBMCBuntu is that it's meant to be stable. Put simply, the actual release itself does not live up to this criteria - hence people's urgent desire for something that works. And that's not to criticise those who do put time and coding effort into this; it's merely to say that as the 'all-in-one' solution, XBMCBuntu should surely match the stability of XBMC Live, shouldn't it?
XBMCbuntu works just fine for the majority of people. The reason you don't see that is they really have no reason to post on the boards if they have no problems. There are monthly/nightly releases on the Windows and Apple sides, and you can always compile your own Linux build, but they, by their very nature, are unstable. That what nightlies are, unstable alpha or beta builds that are meant to be used for testing to find and resolve bugs. If they work for some people, great, but they are not expected to be problem free.

If Dharma (XBMCLive) worked so well, why did you upgrade? Was there some feature that you really wanted that was not available with the previous release?
The nVidia bug - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129697 - but I can find a workaround for it. Either OpenELEC current beta, or XBMCBuntu with a do-upgrade to 12.04 in the background appears to do the trick (although it creates other issues, such as NFS not working). I'll stick with nVidia, for sure. Which brand of GT210 did you have? It could be a brand-specific thing, I guess...

If I have undiscovered NIC hardware problems, how come it worked fine in Dharma? I wanted, and want, to upgrade because I believe that XBMC is being continually improved and honed, and because several of the new skins only work with Eden and beyond.

Incidentally, I've now tried NFS, SMB and AFP sharing, and all have the same problem.

I'm not the only person to have this problem, either:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128629
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127826
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ow+suspend

Discy
Brief update - I've now installed XBMCFreak's Eden based on 12.04 (gets round the nVidia bug) and then installed the fixes suggested in the thread I posted above. Shut the XBMC box down for a couple of hours last night, then resumed it and it worked. That's far from conclusive, but it's a promising start.

I'll try it again this evening and post back here again. Someone else may find this process useful.

Discy