Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC randomly freezes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm running OpeneELEC 1.95.7 (2.0 Beta 7) 32-bit.
HW is an ASUS 1201N ION dual core atom 330 laptop.
HDD has been removed (it crashed), and I'm running on a 8GB usb flash drive. Installed using the OpenELEC usb stick installer (created from windows).

I posted on the OpenELEC forum about but, I also tried this with the latest version of XBMCBuntu with the same results, so I fell back to using OpenELEC, where I captured the log data.

The issue is, after an undetermined/inconsistent period of time under load, the machine will freeze up. If I'm playing video, it will freeze on the current frame, and it sounds like a single audio packet will be infinitely repeating (i.e. a snip of the last sound to play from the video repeats indefinitely).

Once this happens, I can no longer ssh into the box, and any currently open ssh connections freeze and are no longer responsive. At this point, I have to physically power off the box and reboot.

I enabled debugging mode and booted the box. It appears that there is no log that I can find that persists between reboots so I opened up an SSH session and tail -f on xbmc.log until the problem occurs (sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes 45, but it seems to happen more often under load i.e. playing a video while scanning the library for changes, etc.)

Unfortunately I don't believe there is anything of use in the xbmc.log log as all of the messages are what I see scrolling during normal operation.

I was also manually querying cpu and gpu temps (cputemp and gputemp commands) and it continually overs around 62C GPU and 55C CPU, it does not increase just before crashing.

Here is a link to the xbmc.log - I was able to get this by copying the contents of the ssh putty window that was tailing the log during the crash.

http://pastebin.com/CruHaAY8

I have also tailed messages.log as well as Xorg.log; there were no errors/warnings, everything looked like standard procedure through when it crashes. I can tail those remotely and post up the log if it would help, but I'm out of ideas on where to look.
I'm running into this exact same issue on a similar type of device. I have been googling this issue for weeks not really finding anything useful so far. I would love to see if someone can help resolve this issue.
Take a look at this thread on the ASUSTek forums where multiple owners of the 1201N have reported spontaneous shutdown problems:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLan...&count=107
Some have attributed this to overheating (page 51 or so).
I actually did experience that issue whe nworking the laptop really hard under windows in a hot environment. However, what would happen in that case is that it would just shut off. Here, it is freezing, but not shutting off. The latest played audio packet loops, the current frame holds on the screen, and I have to hold the power button to shut it off.

I suspected overheating at first as well, which is why I was constantly running gputemp and cputemp right up until the event, and it never overheated according to those tools. I also updated to the latest bios before posting the initial thread with no difference.

I agree with servion this doesn't seem to be an issue with overheating. I wish it was as that is potentially an easy fix.
@servion,

I see you are playing your videos via Samba. Try copying one of the problematic videos over to a USB harddisk or thumbdrive and plugging it to your laptop to play the video locally. Just want to eliminate the network from the equation.

Also, please run mediainfo on one of the problematic video files (you can do this on any computer) and upload the results to www.pastebin.com or www.xbmclogs.com and post the URL link here with your reply. This allows some knowledgeable person here to review the encoding information for your video and identify potential problems with the file or with your hardware's ability to reliably play the file.
Thanks for the put! I will copy a movie to another flash drive and play it from XBMC. I am using unraid as my media server, and I'm able to access it over the network without issue via other computers - I used windows laptop and VLC to play a movie completely through with no issues.

In the meantime, here is a mediainfo text log of a movie that presented issues.

http://pastebin.com/FPmyTqPQ

I should also note that I've had this machine freeze up when not playing a movie - I was playing with settings while the XBMC library was being scanned initially
Well, if it also freezes while you're not watching a video, then it may not necessarily be solely a video playback issue. However, if you were scanning your library, that may involve some elevated processor and network activity, similar to what occurs while watching a video over your netowrk. Does the system also freeze if you just left it sitting on the XBMC homepage doing nothing?

You can also try booting your laptop with XBMCbuntu in "live" mode. Watch a video over your network and see if freezes. If it does, switch over the the XBMbuntu desktop and launch XBMC from the desktop. Watch the same video and see if it freezes.
I want a full debug log from starting xbmc.
If you have the movieset addon, remove it
Here is a fresh boot xbmg.log with debugging enabled.

http://pastebin.com/Pn2ruuCR

I am attempting to locate an external flash drive to load a movie on so I can play it without using the network. I'm currently running a dedicated unraid box for serving out my media, and this laptop doesn't have an internal HDD (it crashed), so its just running openelec off of the flash drive.
Any more thoughts based on that log? I'll play a movie from usb stick/drive tonight.
(2012-09-24, 22:05)servion Wrote: [ -> ]Any more thoughts based on that log? I'll play a movie from usb stick/drive tonight.

log link doesn't work
I just tried the link and it works for me... are you looking at the one posted on 9/19: (this one: http://pastebin.com/Pn2ruuCR)
I have the exact same issue. Same built.
Factory asus 1201n with openelec.

Let me know if another log is needed.

[EDIT] Tried to copy a video file from one computer to the 1201n using samba.. It crashed almost instantly on the 1201n .. this might just as well be a SMB issue..
Just like to add that I have a REVO 3600 ion2 client, and I experience the same issue after upgrade to openelec beta 7.

I've noticed that if the first button I press after a freeze is stop then xbmc will crash and restart after a couple of minutes. If I however press other buttons, such as back it will just completely lock up.
Pages: 1 2