Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How is transmission running on this? I am thinking of getting the 512mb version but i have few hundred torrents that require seeding so i am not sure how this will work.
Well just try it out here is the addon https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ldk2rhxxwofrb...ion.tar.gz install it from xbmc. you can ssh into the pi and the settings.json file is under .cache/transmission i think u can use transmission.start/stop in the command line or enable disable the addon under services in xbmc addons services. i have the addon disabled in xbmc and then start it using the command line whenever i need it. only the web based server is available and there is a watch folder also by default

there is also an addon for the SABnzbd-Suite
(2012-10-22, 12:50)caravela Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-22, 12:38)Trixster Wrote: [ -> ]For 512mb boards which is likely to be the most optimal setup, a GPU/ARM split of 128/384 or 256/256?

that depends on what you use your pi for, if you just run Xbmc 256/256 or 128/384 should be fine. if you are gonna have services running like uPnP, webserver, transmission, samba i would recommend the 128/384. Again just depend how much stuff you have running, more stuff more ram for the system

EDIT:just tried 128, 192 and 256 by bare observation i couldn't see any difference

Of course the memory allocation is now much more granular, in 1MB increments, so splitting the ram in 128MB chunks is no longer necessary. You could allocate (on a 512MB board) 192MB to the GPU, or 208MB, or whatever amount works best for XBMC. Heck, even on a 256MB model, you could give the GPU 144MB (an extra 16MB) if it makes any difference.
(2012-10-22, 15:21)MilhouseVH Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-22, 12:50)caravela Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-22, 12:38)Trixster Wrote: [ -> ]For 512mb boards which is likely to be the most optimal setup, a GPU/ARM split of 128/384 or 256/256?

that depends on what you use your pi for, if you just run Xbmc 256/256 or 128/384 should be fine. if you are gonna have services running like uPnP, webserver, transmission, samba i would recommend the 128/384. Again just depend how much stuff you have running, more stuff more ram for the system

EDIT:just tried 128, 192 and 256 by bare observation i couldn't see any difference

Of course the memory allocation is now much more granular, in 1MB increments, so splitting the ram in 128MB chunks is no longer necessary. You could allocate (on a 512MB board) 192MB to the GPU, or 208MB, or whatever amount works best for XBMC. Heck, even on a 256MB model, you could give the GPU 144MB (an extra 16MB) if it makes any difference.

Yes, that is why we only have on self to choose from Smile

(2012-10-22, 14:17)caravela Wrote: [ -> ]Well just try it out here is the addon https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ldk2rhxxwofrb...ion.tar.gz install it from xbmc. you can ssh into the pi and the settings.json file is under .cache/transmission i think u can use transmission.start/stop in the command line or enable disable the addon under services in xbmc addons services. i have the addon disabled in xbmc and then start it using the command line whenever i need it. only the web based server is available and there is a watch folder also by default

For the cost involved, I'd personally run Transmission (plus Sickbeard/SABnzbd and other network services related stuff) on a second dedicated and headless "server" Raspberry Pi 512MB. And as it would be running Raspbian, installing services is much less of a headache - no need for custom and possibly out of date add-ons. You could even install MySQL and have it become your central repository for XBMC metadata.

The last thing I'd want is my media player experience being impaired by background processes stealing cycles and memory...anyone seeding a few hundred torrents could find their USB/network interface is too busy to actually stream media content!
(2012-10-21, 02:10)gimli Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-18, 08:32)rbej Wrote: [ -> ]EVERYTHING is scaled to 720p, not only GUI.

Nope. It is rendered in 1080p. There is a bug in the calculation and displaying the values. The rendering of the video IS IN 1080p.

This bug is fixed.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1652

(2012-10-22, 15:27)MilhouseVH Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-22, 14:17)caravela Wrote: [ -> ]Well just try it out here is the addon https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ldk2rhxxwofrb...ion.tar.gz install it from xbmc. you can ssh into the pi and the settings.json file is under .cache/transmission i think u can use transmission.start/stop in the command line or enable disable the addon under services in xbmc addons services. i have the addon disabled in xbmc and then start it using the command line whenever i need it. only the web based server is available and there is a watch folder also by default

For the cost involved, I'd personally run Transmission (plus Sickbeard/SABnzbd and other network services related stuff) on a second dedicated and headless "server" Raspberry Pi 512MB. And as it would be running Raspbian, installing services is much less of a headache - no need for custom and possibly out of date add-ons. You could even install MySQL and have it become your central repository for XBMC metadata.

The last thing I'd want is my media player experience being impaired by background processes stealing cycles and memory...anyone seeding a few hundred torrents could find their USB/network interface is too busy to actually stream media content!
I currently do not have the pi so i can not try it. But i assume the 512mb version will work better and faster then the 256 when there are background processes running 24/7, right? This would have been ideal for me.

(2012-10-22, 16:22)bboo Wrote: [ -> ]I currently do not have the pi so i can not try it. But i assume the 512mb version will work better and faster then the 256 when there are background processes running 24/7, right? This would have been ideal for me.

Yes, you'll have more free RAM on the 512MB than 256MB, obviously. How well it works is open to question, as the Pi network is limited to 100Mbit (which itself runs on top of the USB), and XBMC will use as much CPU as it can get hold of (ie. 100%) so adding background processes that limit your already limited network bandwidth and chew away at available CPU probably isn't the best idea (IMHO) but yes, having an extra 256MB RAM available will most probably help.

Seeding a few hundred torrents though, could bring even a dedicated Pi to its knees, irrespective of how much RAM it has onboard.
I just installed Openelec r12220 on my 256mb Pi this weekend (first time testing the Pi in a while)... and WOW, what a difference a few months makes... this bad boy is **almost** usable.

One major issue I noticed, and this may have been answered somewhere, but I did could not find it:
When I start the unit, the memory usage is in the 30% range ... after browsing my "Movies" Library and playing clips of a few movies (I was testing to see which movies worked and did not)... I believe the memory usage was about 40%... and the system was still responding normally.

However, when I started to browse through the "TV Shows" section of my library, the system became very sluggish... at one point it took a good 5 minutes to change from the Show Title to the seasons level... and after a good 10 minutes of waiting for it to get to the episode level, I just rebooted the unit.

After reboot, I went directly into TV section... and response time was better initially...but as I played clips of episodes (again, testing compatibilty)... the system started slowing down, and videos that played flawlessly moments earlier, now played very choppy for the first minute or two. When I checked the memory usage.. it was now over 80%.

What is running the memory up that high? Is it the fanart, banners, etc.. for the episodes? Should/Does that memory become available if I leave the unit alone for a while? Is this a Memory Leak? Is there a way to manually free up the memory?

If it matters, I use a MySQL database on a separate server.... and at the moment I have no logs (and I am not at home to create one), but should be able to reproduce the issue pretty quickly when I get home to get you one if needed.

Thanks for the help... and a great work on Openelec for the Pi... it really is impressive how well this $35 unit works!

Use Raspbmc to use GUI 1080p without building your own XBMC:
(2012-10-22, 17:33)fernandovg Wrote: [ -> ]Use Raspbmc to use GUI 1080p without building your own XBMC:

No support for patched XBMC versions.
(2012-10-22, 17:30)sdsnyr94 Wrote: [ -> ]However, when I started to browse through the "TV Shows" section of my library, the system became very sluggish... at one point it took a good 5 minutes to change from the Show Title to the seasons level... and after a good 10 minutes of waiting for it to get to the episode level, I just rebooted the unit.

After reboot, I went directly into TV section... and response time was better initially...but as I played clips of episodes (again, testing compatibilty)... the system started slowing down, and videos that played flawlessly moments earlier, now played very choppy for the first minute or two. When I checked the memory usage.. it was now over 80%.

What is running the memory up that high? Is it the fanart, banners, etc.. for the episodes? Should/Does that memory become available if I leave the unit alone for a while? Is this a Memory Leak? Is there a way to manually free up the memory?

Same thing happens but when I browse my movie library.
The CPU usage goes to 95-98% and never goes down again.

OMX errors (ie. "insufficient resources") are a lot more prevalent now with these latest OE builds - and this is with a 720p GUI. :-(

r12224 is virtually unusable due to these OMX errors, I've also just had the GUI crash on me as it wasn't even able to load the GUI background assets.

It seems like OMX handling has regressed significantly since the high point back in early September (r11904) when they were all but banished (even with a 1080p GUI).
(2012-10-22, 20:50)MilhouseVH Wrote: [ -> ]OMX errors (ie. "insufficient resources") are a lot more prevalent now with these latest OE builds - and this is with a 720p GUI. :-(

Can you run
Code:
sudo vcdbg reloc
when the errors first start to appear and post the output.
Can anyone recommend a build for the following usage:

I share all media from a QNAP ts 209 (SMB shares).

I need the Pi for slideshowing pictures (JPGs between 3 & 7mb) and playing music (MP3 and M4A).
All builds I have tried crash the Pi either when going into slideshow or best case it has lasted a few hours before freezing.
Also when slideshow was running many pictures were lowres or had the wrong aspectratio. I see others have had the same problem, but I haven't found a fix.

I'm not looking for the latest and greatest. Airplay and 720p mkvs I can wait for. Just a tip of which of the numerous builds I should try.