Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2012-11-24, 22:03)SFX Group Wrote: [ -> ]DHCP works, however the DNS address is 127.0.0.1 with no secondary, my DHCP server gives out 2 DNS addresses, this is a bug.

this is not a bug:

OpenELEC's connection manager acts as a DNS proxy, (which for sure is locally installed). XBMC dont knows about this and shows the local system as a DNS server - which is right in this case. Our Connection manager handles the DNS stuff then byself.
(2012-11-24, 22:03)SFX Group Wrote: [ -> ]DHCP works, however the DNS address is 127.0.0.1 with no secondary, my DHCP server gives out 2 DNS addresses, this is a bug.

OpenELEC (on Pi or otherwise) has always behaved like this.
(2012-11-24, 22:20)sraue Wrote: [ -> ]OpenELEC's connection manager acts as a DNS proxy, (which for sure is locally installed). XBMC dont knows about this and shows the local system as a DNS server - which is right in this case. Our Connection manager handles the DNS stuff then byself.

Thanks for the clarification, is there a way of showing the real DNS addresses that openELEC has for administration purposes?
I can't seem to get the new ram function to work with r12577 it's a total vanilla install on a 512 MB board ofcause.
There is enough ram but nothing is loaded at boot.
(2012-11-25, 02:02)tuxen Wrote: [ -> ]I can't seem to get the new ram function to work with r12577 it's a total vanilla install on a 512 MB board ofcause.
There is enough ram but nothing is loaded at boot.

can you explain what you mean with "but nothing is loaded at boot" ?
Quote "by default OpenELEC now copys the SYSTEM file to a ramdisk very early and before the SYSTEM file is mounted, if at least 356MB "Total Memory" sorry this is what I mean and does not seem to happen. My gpu split is the default 128MB (default config.txt) but when XBMC is loaded I have 314MB free if I reboot it just hard reboots.
(2012-11-25, 04:06)tuxen Wrote: [ -> ]Quote "by default OpenELEC now copys the SYSTEM file to a ramdisk very early and before the SYSTEM file is mounted, if at least 356MB "Total Memory" sorry this is what I mean and does not seem to happen. My gpu split is the default 128mb (default config.txt) but when XBMC is loaded I have 314MB free if I reboot it just hard reboots.

but you have /dev/SYSTEM (check with "ls /dev"), have fewer diskaccess (check the LEDs) and a faster boot compared with a boot with the "noram" option?
Ups I'm sorry it works now.. It was me misunderstanding how everything would play out in the end. (and being blind) Everything is good. So sorry for making anyone jump lol. Won't happen again.
Thanks a lot for the release btw. Smile
(2012-11-24, 16:01)sraue Wrote: [ -> ]OpenELEC Development build (r12577):
[*] added a new "boot from RAM" function (please read the notes below)
This build primary added a function to boot from RAM instead accessing the SDCard to much on boot (512MB RPi only):

So the primary purpose is not making the boot faster?
Because compared to r12350 the time from OpenELEC to XBMC is still ~ 35 seconds.
(Yes, I do have a /dev/SYSTEM file)
@sraue: I must admit I'm not seeing any performance improvement with the boot from RAM function (I normally boot from a Class 10 card). I confirm I do have a /dev/SYSTEM present.

In fact, booting from RAM is actually slower.

Time from power on for main menu to appear on an overclocked (1000/500/600, force_turbo=1) 512MB Pi with Class 10 Transcend card and metadata stored in a MySQL database:

noram: 32 seconds
ram: 37 seconds

So, five seconds longer and a big chunk of RAM missing.

As you say, the boot from RAM feature may be of benefit to those network booting, but it probably shouldn't be the default for the Pi.
Booting might be slower, but things should be faster when things are running. So it's a speed up as you use XBMC, rather than a speed up for starting up.
Is it very noticeable?
Seems a little nippier to me, when scrolling through the list of videos. Artwork seems to appear faster.
Reports only 10% RAM used after boot, but here is screen cap I think it has loaded to RAM http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/848/capturebo.jpg

Will this mostly improve XBMC performance? Does it have any impact of video playback or is overclocking the way to get better performance there?
I can't imagine it will have any affect on video playback.