Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Huh

what's the auto-update-patch? automatic background updating? thats not needed here... i always reboot or poweroff- and on to re-read database... if that's the case, i'm goind to the official build.
if so - which options do you use with the official build in advancedsettings? cachemembuffersize? or the other ones? can u post your advancedsettings?
(2013-02-20, 23:59)hpbaxxter Wrote: [ -> ]I've got an mp3 album which does play fine from files, but not from the music library (error message after three attempts, "couldn't play back ...", 256 MB RPi tested with 100 and 128 MB GPU-RAM, r13352 from jbej). The files are tagged with a huge album cover in jpeg format, so that seems to be an issue. An example can be found here: https://gigamove.rz.rwth-aachen.de/downl...meUKdR9NmS

i have this too with a couple of videoclips, that playing from Filebrowser but not in Videofiles
(2013-02-21, 00:51)FattyMcDirty Wrote: [ -> ]what's the auto-update-patch? automatic background updating? thats not needed here... i always reboot or poweroff- and on to re-read database... if that's the case, i'm goind to the official build.

The auto-update patch adds support for users booting from NFS/SMB/USB, so that they can update to a new release simply by dropping files into the Update folder.

Anyone booting from NFS/SMB/USB, when auto-updating with the official build, will end up with a "Franken-system" as while the Pi will update to the new SYSTEM image, the boot files and kernel will not be updated correctly, so in a worst-case situation your Pi may not even boot after updating.

Rbej recently included this auto-update patch in his own builds, so now his builds will auto-update correctly for NFS/SMB/USB users that drop files into the Update folder. You need to manually update the first time in order to get onto the patched kernel, but after that the update process will work as it should, for all users (SD, NFS, SMB, USB etc.)

The same patch also introduces a "media check" test to try and avoid SD card corruption when booting, although this particular feature is disabled by default (you can enable it by adding iotimeout=5000 in cmdline.txt).

(2013-02-21, 00:51)FattyMcDirty Wrote: [ -> ]if so - which options do you use with the official build in advancedsettings? cachemembuffersize? or the other ones? can u post your advancedsettings?

You can see my advancedsettings here (pastebin). I use the same settings with both OpenELEC and Rbej builds.
(2013-02-21, 00:07)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-20, 23:48)rbej Wrote: [ -> ]I try many combinations and only one is correct for me.

Disable both this patch:

- add Check free memory, and if plenty use full size buffers for reading files

- new scheme buffering and stalling

I'm struggling to see this on new_stall branch (https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/commits/new_stall). This is standard xbmc tree with
[rbp] Fix for stuttery video when seeking before zero
[rbp] [wip] new scheme for handling stalling and buffering

I've played about 50 files and all started okay. I also left this looping a 22 minute video overnight a couple of days ago and it was still playing in morning.

So does a build with no patches apart from the ones accepted into xbmc master, and the two above fail for you?

Can you try with "Extract thumbnails and video information" disabled?

I compile build with:

and without:

[rbp]Check free memory, and if plenty use full size buffers for reading files
[rbp] Handle resolution changes during video stream.

and without "new Network Cache" (alwaysforcebuffer)

For this moment everythink is ok.

Please delete:

<alwaysforcebuffer>false</alwaysforcebuffer>
<freememorycachepercent>5</freememorycachepercent>

and add

<cachemembuffersize>5242880</cachemembuffersize>

PLEASE TRY IT.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d443w5hd3idcpwb
(2013-02-21, 03:55)MilhouseVH Wrote: [ -> ]The auto-update patch adds support for users booting from NFS/SMB/USB, so that they can update to a new release simply by dropping files into the Update folder.

Anyone booting from NFS/SMB/USB, when auto-updating with the official build, will end up with a "Franken-system" as while the Pi will update to the new SYSTEM image, the boot files and kernel will not be updated correctly, so in a worst-case situation your Pi may not even boot after updating.

Rbej recently included this auto-update patch in his own builds, so now his builds will auto-update correctly for NFS/SMB/USB users that drop files into the Update folder. You need to manually update the first time in order to get onto the patched kernel, but after that the update process will work as it should, for all users (SD, NFS, SMB, USB etc.)

The same patch also introduces a "media check" test to try and avoid SD card corruption when booting, although this particular feature is disabled by default (you can enable it by adding iotimeout=5000 in cmdline.txt).

Anyone including the ones who have kernel and system on the sd card?
Or only those who have system in the usb, etc?
(2013-02-21, 10:41)xbs08 Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone including the ones who have kernel and system on the sd card?
Or only those who have system in the usb, etc?

The patch is to *add* full auto-update support for users with SYSTEM mounted from NFS/SMB/USB. Auto-update is already fully working for those who have both kernel and SYSTEM on their SD card (ie. not booting from NFS/SMB/USB). If you only have /storage mounted on NFS/SMB/USB, you have nothing to worry about.
(2013-02-21, 10:35)rbej Wrote: [ -> ]I compile build with:

and without:

[rbp]Check free memory, and if plenty use full size buffers for reading files
[rbp] Handle resolution changes during video stream.

and without "new Network Cache" (alwaysforcebuffer)

For this moment everythink is ok.

Please delete:

<alwaysforcebuffer>false</alwaysforcebuffer>
<freememorycachepercent>5</freememorycachepercent>

and add

<cachemembuffersize>5242880</cachemembuffersize>

PLEASE TRY IT.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d443w5hd3idcpwb

Sorry to report, but no change for me with this build. :-(

Deleted my guisettings.xml, removed the above two settings from advancedsettings.xml (and added cachmembuffersize), rebooted... but still a grey background and no playback.

Just as an additional data point, I booted with the stock OpenELEC kernel and your SYSTEM image, and got the same behaviour... so at least you can eliminate anything that touches the kernel as being the culprit. Also booting with firmware from OpenELEC resulted in the same problem, so rule that out too.
Its realy strange. I play on this build 20 movies in NFS and 20 movies online and for this moment everything is ok.

All your videos does not play or sometimes not playing??
For me it's just SD content that's effected, not HD. About one in ten times the SD content plays fine, but on every other occasion I get the grey background which Milhouse talks about.
(2013-02-21, 11:57)rbej Wrote: [ -> ]Its realy strange. I play on this build 20 movies in NFS and 20 movies online and for this moment everything is ok.

Everything I've tried so far has failed to play in the same way, that's been a mixture of movies and tv shows, both HD and SD (all mkv's).
From your Link:

The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on MediaFire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or MediaFire.
When i add patch "[rbp]Check free memory, and if plenty use full size buffers for reading files" always movies not playing. Without this patch and with normal caching (cachemembuffersize) everything is ok.

Log when movie dont have playing:

http://pastebin.com/YMChReuS
(2013-02-21, 12:13)MilhouseVH Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-21, 11:57)rbej Wrote: [ -> ]Its realy strange. I play on this build 20 movies in NFS and 20 movies online and for this moment everything is ok.

Everything I've tried so far has failed to play in the same way, that's been a mixture of movies and tv shows, both HD and SD (all mkv's).

Obviously some difference in environments provokes this bug. Would be good to identify what it is. Possibilities are:
Speed of directory you are streaming from - any difference in behaviour when video file is on sdcard/usb/nfs/samba?
Guisetting - does changing "extract thumbnails", "use fanart", "adjust display refesh", display resolution, audio passthrough, vsync etc make any difference?
Advancedsettings - guires?
config.txt - gpu_mem, overclock?
NFS and online movies, no use fanart, no use adjust display refresh, guires 720p, gpu_mem=100, overclocking force_turbo=1 (medium oc), resolution 1080p, extract thumbnails yes, no audio passthrough.
so what's you latest build we should test?
or where to get the really latest official nightly?