Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You won't get gigabit on USB2. Anything that says it can is bullshit.

USB2 is 480Mbps. [and it won't reach that half the time] gigabit is 1000Mbps.

USB3 is 5Gbps. With the plan to upgrade to 10Gbps.
I really think you'd be silly to try and get a warranty replacement after posting on a public forum that you broke it yourself. At least in my country there is no limitation period on a fraud charge. Of course you may have a legitimate insurance claim on your household insurance, but there will be a deductible.

You don't need gigabit if you are using it for media streaming, so a USB|ethernet device is probably your best bet.
I believe that you had problem long before you have tripped over kabel, but you havent notice before. Wink

I would say that you are very unsure why NIC stopped working properly.
(2013-08-28, 09:41)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I really think you'd be silly to try and get a warranty replacement after posting on a public forum that you broke it yourself. At least in my country there is no limitation period on a fraud charge. Of course you may have a legitimate insurance claim on your household insurance, but there will be a deductible.

You don't need gigabit if you are using it for media streaming, so a USB|ethernet device is probably your best bet.

How would they know what his internet forum username is? They would have no way to connect him to the message he posted.

I would try to get it replaced.
Doe anyone know what the small female crimp pins are, to connect to the usb header?
need the black housing too.

any help greatly appreciated
Legion
I got in the Thermal pads from FrozenCPU today, so I thought I'd show you how I installed them.

(you'll need 2 of theseSmile
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g8/c487/...Page1.html

Even Intel uses these pads for the msata boards:

I think I'll also remove the mfg label from the msata drive as well.

Legion
(2013-08-28, 08:49)jweare1987 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks soloman. Had a short look last night at ebay australia and only saw 10/100 adaptors. And my one page google search for gigabit adaptors had links to usb3 devices,so I just assumed thats what it was. But thats great news if I dont have a gen1 board or can't get the port talking.

Amazon wont ship to me, would this be a similar option? Looks ok to me.

http://www.mln.com.au/product/?itemID=3746

thanks Jason

I can't really speak to that one, I purchased that other one for a different build and can confirm openelec recognizes it. As for the other poster, you don't need gigabit to stream bluray iso's as my dune player does it fine with 100mb. So having some extra room on whatever that gigabit usb2 adapter gives you is just gravy.
I never said you couldn't do streaming without gigabit. I said that these dongles claming they're capable of gigabit over USB2 is bullshit!

(2013-08-28, 16:54)Legion455 Wrote: [ -> ]Doe anyone know what the small female crimp pins are, to connect to the usb header?
need the black housing too.

any help greatly appreciated
Legion

Would love to know this too. Be funny as hell if they're a perm feed lol.

(2013-08-28, 02:21)jweare1987 Wrote: [ -> ]Have had my celeron NUC running openelec for the past couple of weeks now. And the other day I accidently tripped over the network cable. And it now doesn't register on my network as been an attached device. My Mrs' laptop connected straight away using the same cable. I think I've damaged the lan port. The lights come on but nothing seams to happen at the moment.

I don't have much experience with linux/openelec. Is there a way to see on openelec if its damaged? Can most computer repairers easily replace it if need be? Or am I better off going the net gear d6200 wifi adaptor to connect to my d6300 modem router.

Thanks guys in advance for any suggestions!!!

If its a v101 board, get it replaced by intel FOC as its missing internal USB headers. Don't bother with USB to network. It's expensive enough as it is to buy a NUC. Get it sorted
How are folks treating these as far as power down goes?

The NUC uses very little power, especially when idling. Do you just leave it on? Or is there a way to make it power down/up from a remote such as the Mele F10?

I've contemplated just leaving it on, but I'm curious what others are doing.
Sleeping is good,... but search for simerec in the thread for info on how to shout it down completely.

also check out Jammyb's build:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166886

Legion
Or NUC wiki in my sig.
Thanks..
Noticing the temp of the unit seems to be surprisingly high.. Idling at about 70c and when watching a movie jumps up to 82c. Is this normal?

Even with the system idling in the bios, it's at about 70-75c. Everything I've read seems like it's supposed to be a lot cooler.. I do have the latest bios update from April 2013.
Hi guys,
Little question: as you know i bought a NUC I3 with 64Go of storage and 8Go of RAM. We finally decided to change our TV and will certainly take a PANASONIC ST60 model which bring 3D. Even if i'm still thinking that we will not do 3D, i would like to setup the NUC in case of...
By looking on Openelec forum it seems that this is not working and that i should go to Windows 7 or 8. Do you confirm?
Is Windows the best solution for 3D movies management?
Thank you in advance
OpenELEC will play 3D. Your i3 NUC is good to go with SBS 3D & frame packed 3D.

Use openELEC.

(2013-08-29, 06:31)Nathanial Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks..
Noticing the temp of the unit seems to be surprisingly high.. Idling at about 70c and when watching a movie jumps up to 82c. Is this normal?

Even with the system idling in the bios, it's at about 70-75c. Everything I've read seems like it's supposed to be a lot cooler.. I do have the latest bios update from April 2013.

Normal. Can run at 90 degrees. Will shut down at a tonne though. Perfectly fine.

Where is temp displayed when watching a film?
(2013-08-21, 19:47)RickInHouston Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-20, 18:31)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-20, 16:58)aesalazar Wrote: [ -> ]Funny, like I said before, you are pretty much doing what I did. I came from a Popcorn Hour A-300 and got tired of the lame interface and the WEAK processor - heaven forbid I actually want to fast forward or rewind when watching a blu-ray MKV or ISO. On my NUC with XBMC - I am still amazed at how ff, rewd, skips, and chapter jumps are INSTANT. Yes, I can play BR isos but if you want menus it was very touchy. When I rip a BR I almost always just grab the main movie and skip the extras so I can say much more then that.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who quickly started to get annoyed by the popcorns. A side from the issues you said, most of the time I also had to turn it on/off 3-4 times (which takes probably 2-3 times longer than a NUC haha) just to get it to load the 'apps' so it would be able to play things.

Same boat. I'm waiting for the new NUC it's painful waiting. Since it's so close to being released, I'd rather tough it out then give in and get year old tech. Not that it's such a bad thing but might as well hang on for the latest.

Gives me time to really clean up my movie library!

I caved. Couldn't wait any longer for the Haswell NUC.

I have all the parts for a mini-itx Haswell (i5) to put inside an EcoSmartPC (Realan i7 - the new one) box arriving today (hopefully). May put this in my office with the Haswell NUCs do show up. BUT, I'm loving the idea of an audio out jack to use with headphones when my kid is sleeping at night and don't want to wake him.

BTW, boy when you leave the Popcorn Hour forums because you are tired of the lag, they sure do act as if it's not very important to the user experience! I just realized all the sudden I don't watch movies at home much anymore because the old Popcorn box was so unrealiable.