Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-09-06, 10:00)Raytestrak Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-06, 09:12)verismo Wrote: [ -> ]i''m not sure i understand, i'm getting the issue when i boot from the s5 state, using simerec

My bad, I thought you were having issues with S3 and resuming from sleep.

no worries, thanks anyway.

Issue: hdmi handshaking, sometimes when i turn on the htpc + tv, i get "retrieving data... no signal"
Anyhow, noting the things i've tried to keep it on file:

Tried 3 different hdmi cables
3 Different hdmi ports on the tv, 2 on the computer
Tried changing the resolution on the computer
Tried downloading inf file for the tv and manually putting it in device manager
tried resetting tv by taking off plug for 30secs
(2013-09-06, 07:50)Raytestrak Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-05, 23:30)verismo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-05, 14:37)verismo Wrote: [ -> ]hmm, i tried 2 hdmi cables and the issue was still there, but i tried a third one and the issue appears to be gone.

Bought another one from amazon to confirm it's the hdmi cable, hopefully it is the hdmi cable.

damn, third cable finally said the same thing.

Which means its either the TV or the sequence / time the htpc is being on.

Will narrow it down soon.

To avoid network problems that were in OpenElec in the past, I reboot my NUC when it resumes from sleep. It's so fast I only see the XMBC splash screen or the Aeon Nox logo when the TV is ready. I don't know whether the netwerk issue is solved, but this guarantees a working setup for me and I don't mind the 2 second wait. This would almost certainly fix your handshake issue too.

Raytestrak: By chance, are you using NFS to access your files? That was a problem I had as well - it is something in frodo - forget exactly but it had something to do with a resync problem . Switching to SMB took care of it.

verismo: Sorry if I missed it in one of your prior posts but did you say you were turning both devises on at the same time and that is what is causing the problem? I assume you tried first turning on the tv and giving it 5-10 to boot before turning on the pc? Does that make a difference?

Ernie
(2013-09-06, 12:29)verismo Wrote: [ -> ]no worries, thanks anyway.

Issue: hdmi handshaking, sometimes when i turn on the htpc + tv, i get "retrieving data... no signal"

I see you're running Windows, tried switching to OpenElec? You can run it as a test directly from a USB stick.

And another one, have you tried the "HDMI pin 19 tape trick"?

http://postimg.org/image/2g8p5dwdg/

It sounds stupid, but it really works. A friend of mine had serious handshake issues with his Onkyo and his Foxconn NT-A3500. Blocking this pin solved his handshake problem completely.
I got PM'ed this, this morning.

Thebluevoice Wrote:Hiya,

Just thought you might be interested in this - worked for me!

"Pin 19 of the hdmi cable is a hot-plug signal carrier.

So to test I've simply put a slip of insulating tape over it before inserting it.
First I used moninfo to create an inf file for my avr (pioneer vsx-2020) and set windows (v7) to use it.

Had to start then shut down then start the computer again and since that all is well.
No more xbmc crashes and dis-continued audio etc when turning off the tv, projector, changing input on the avr or even turning off the avr

Some people may find the need to pull-up pin 19 to 5v using a 1k resistor to pin 18?

The original forum is here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Foru...80a21fdc2/"

I posted this on http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=131590&page=4 ages ago!
(2013-09-06, 13:38)Raytestrak Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-06, 12:29)verismo Wrote: [ -> ]no worries, thanks anyway.

I see you're running Windows, tried switching to OpenElec? You can run it as a test directly from a USB stick.

And another one, have you tried the "HDMI pin 19 tape trick"?

http://postimg.org/image/2g8p5dwdg/

It sounds stupid, but it really works. A friend of mine had serious handshake issues with his Onkyo and his Foxconn NT-A3500. Blocking this pin solved his handshake problem completely.

thanks, gave it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes..
Just got my new Akasa Newton case from Frozen CPU...

Open the case to do installation and....:

Somehow these cables got disconnected during shipping from the LED board.

So my power switch and LED lights won't work. This isn't my area here, but is this repairable? Or should I just RMA it to Frozen CPU... when they have more in stock?
(2013-09-06, 13:35)aesalazar Wrote: [ -> ]Raytestrak: By chance, are you using NFS to access your files? That was a problem I had as well - it is something in frodo - forget exactly but it had something to do with a resync problem . Switching to SMB took care of it.

Ernie

No, I'm using Windows 8 as a server so I'm accessing my files over SMB. I just realized I implemented the reboot to avoid handshake problems, for network connectivity my autostart.sh contains this (and some other stuff):

until ping -w 1 -c 1 192.168.1.1 &>/dev/null ;do
sleep 0.25
echo "contacting 192.168.1.1"
n=$(( n+1 ))
[ $n -eq 30 ] && break
done

Not really needed anymore since 3.1.7 (and a few releases prior to this one) have a network time out option built in, but this contains some logic. The standard just delays xbmc by the amount of seconds you specify in OpenElec.
A bit offtopic, but Gigabyte is not sleeping: http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/342/im...odels.html
That can only mean good news for price wars surly?

As far as I can tell, aside from wifi included its just IR vs SPDIF? And two extra models I guess. I wonder who will release first?
(2013-09-07, 10:42)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]That can only mean good news for price wars surly?

Hopefully, though I do fear that NUCs will go the way of netbooks - starting as cheap and cheerful, then adding more and more features and going up in price until they were nearly the price of a proper laptop. Personally I'd rather see competition at the Celeron end of the range, rather than the i7 end, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
(2013-09-07, 02:27)Nathanial Wrote: [ -> ]Just got my new Akasa Newton case from Frozen CPU...

So my power switch and LED lights won't work. This isn't my area here, but is this repairable? Or should I just RMA it to Frozen CPU... when they have more in stock?

I have disconnected my led myself they are to bright!

I have the Impactics case

But if the power on switch was effected I would RMA
(2013-09-07, 02:27)Nathanial Wrote: [ -> ]Just got my new Akasa Newton case from Frozen CPU...

Do you know how to solder?
Guys, seems like the hdmi pin 19 fix worked! I'm so ecstatic right now, hopefully anyone that has the same issue can find this page via google.
(2013-09-07, 14:43)verismo Wrote: [ -> ]Guys, seems like the hdmi pin 19 fix worked! I'm so ecstatic right now, hopefully anyone that has the same issue can find this page via google.

Congrats! Glad to be of help to you.
Same problem happened to me,..those connections are fragile at best...
I just striped back the insulation a bit, tinned the ends, then soldered the wires to the underside of the feedthrus,...
then carefully put everything back

Legion