Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

Some good information here!

Just wanted to know peoples experience with using the intel i3 NUC or NUC's in general and running torrents in the background while watching movies - any impact on performance or quality?

Also wanted to know if these units can be left running 24/7 do they handle the heat or it recommended to turn them off when not using?
It looks great, but seems a little expensive, but it deserves.
Bargain NUC on eBay Wink

Look at this on eBay:

INTEL NUC DCCP847DYE HTPC SSD RAM WIFI BLUETOOTH REMOTE RC6 IR SIMEREC XBMC

http://bit.ly/1e34hv5
Hi everyone. I got a nuc celeron. Just wondered what you guys fans are like. I can here it over the volume of a film. I'm about 2m away. The fan runs constantly at the same speed. The temp is 58. It's the same speed from when I turn it on. Any help? What settings do you use in the bios?

Thanks
Never hear the fan on mine. Didn't change any settings in the bios. Have you updated the bios to latest revision?
An integrated IR receiver, compatible with Windows Media Center remote controls, faces the front, boosting the NUC’s credentials as a front-room PC.

Read more: Intel’s tiny NUC gets a big upgrade | News | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/384160/intel...z2eeu85zAQ
Yes I updated the bios. Had a tinker with settings. On all the default settings. Cool quiet etc it's still loud. Can you tell me what settings you have it on. Duty cycle etc
Nope. Mines boxed up for its new owner [its on eBay now] Smile sowwy!

(2013-09-12, 08:51)lazzar Wrote: [ -> ]An integrated IR receiver, compatible with Windows Media Center remote controls, faces the front, boosting the NUC’s credentials as a front-room PC.

Read more: Intel’s tiny NUC gets a big upgrade | News | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/384160/intel...z2eeu85zAQ

The company also plans to make available an Atom-based NUC, based on the Bay Trail architecture, which – in order to help keep costs low – will come in a larger case to accommodate a regular 2.5in hard disk drive.
Not been that much news about it yet, do you reckon they mention it today at the last keynote? If October was the release date you'd think they might have said it at IDF?
Hi There,

my NUC i3 with Openelec & XBMC is having an issue on the screen resolution.
it does not kept the settings in order to have the image fitting the screen. everytime it losts the parameters done via XBMC interface and the image is wider than my screen. how do you handle that?

also i'm managing the TV series with Sickbeard installed on my NAS, and when it updates automatically XBMC with all the additional info for XBMC it does not put the episode in the right serie, i then have to go in each episode and do a refresh in order to have the right name. eve if my TV shows are structure correctly in folders/ Seasons/ episode with each episode named "serie name - season/episode - episode title.mkv"

finally do you know if it is possible to setup the Ambilight project on the NUC hardware? do you have any how to to point me to.

thank you in advance
With regard to your picture problems. Have you tried the other HDMI port? What is your telly? Have you made sure it is set to exact scan? No zooms or overscan enabled.

Sounds like your TV episode problem is that you have too much detail in the file name before it reaches the seasonxepisode number. Try putting that at the front. Mine dont have the programmes name on it. Only the SxxExx and episode name detail after.
I've read a review that says the Celeron 847 1.1 struggles with certain codecs on 1080p.

Is this true?
(2013-09-08, 14:23)maber23 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-07, 09:42)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]A bit offtopic, but Gigabyte is not sleeping: http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/342/im...odels.html

For xbmc, is there any difference between Intel® HD 4400 graphics (Brix) and HD 5000 (NUC) ?

I`m curious about this too....found this article which may help quantify the difference for you:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7072/intel...vs-hd-4400
(2013-09-12, 12:58)smallclone Wrote: [ -> ]I've read a review that says the Celeron 847 1.1 struggles with certain codecs on 1080p.

Is this true?
Perhaps with certain obscure ones that require software decoding?

It certainly works great with h.264/VC-1/MPEG2 @ 1080p.
(2013-09-12, 12:54)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]With regard to your picture problems. Have you tried the other HDMI port? What is your telly? Have you made sure it is set to exact scan? No zooms or overscan enabled.

Sounds like your TV episode problem is that you have too much detail in the file name before it reaches the seasonxepisode number. Try putting that at the front. Mine dont have the programmes name on it. Only the SxxExx and episode name detail after.

i'll try those two points :-)
thank you for these tips.

and for the ambiTV, i found this where you "just" have to plug an USB cable on the NUC. i'll continue to digg and keep you posted on that.