Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-10-14, 12:29)jayce996 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there,
is there a way to force some settings in a config.txt file or something like that (like in the raspberry pi)?
i would like to set the video calibration and the audio output.
sometimes, for some reasons, there's no sound and i need to go in the audio setting at the bottom and select the right values and for my screen, the refresh rate is also fluctuating between 24, 50 & 60 and then the image is bigger than the screen.
i tired doing it every time.
maybe it's due to my 3 different profiles, maybe not, but anyway it's annoying.

This is windows? Try it in openELEC. I never have these handshake problems.
no it's Openelec latest version + XBMC frodo on a NUC i3
I'm wondering if anyone knows "which internet seller" will have the new NUC Haswell for sale first?
(I'm thinking that I'm gonna get one)

Legion
I understand this has a couple of pCI-E available slots. Do you guys know if there is any OTA tv tuner (QAM) card I can fit in here? Most of them are large profile ones and this looks like a really tiny machine.
(2013-10-14, 01:50)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]What SSD is everyone using? If your using one at all that is Tongue

I was thinking of intel 525, but seems they have terrible heat issues. Would get the 530 but cant seem to find it anywhere, I don't think the msata 530 is out yet, and I doubt once the haswell version arrives I'm going to want to wait for the newest ssd >.<

I was using the 32GB Crucial M4, but last week switched to the 120GB Intel 525
(2013-10-14, 17:02)Legion455 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm wondering if anyone knows "which internet seller" will have the new NUC Haswell for sale first?
(I'm thinking that I'm gonna get one)

Legion

Directron is showing them in stock for $385. Not sure that they actually do. All retailers should have then in another few weeks at the regular MSRP price of $380 or less.

Looking again it appears that Amazon has them up for pre-order in i3 and i5 but listed as "4 g NUC". Prices are reasonable, especially for the i3 version.

i3 version
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Power-Mini-D...m_sbs_pc_1

i5 version
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Power-Cable-...m_sbs_pc_1

I want to see what people run into with OpenElec before I order one.
(2013-10-14, 21:32)spencers Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-14, 01:50)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]What SSD is everyone using? If your using one at all that is Tongue

I was thinking of intel 525, but seems they have terrible heat issues. Would get the 530 but cant seem to find it anywhere, I don't think the msata 530 is out yet, and I doubt once the haswell version arrives I'm going to want to wait for the newest ssd >.<

Any problems with heat or any other problems for that matter (drivers etc)?
(2013-10-15, 01:52)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-14, 21:32)spencers Wrote: [ -> ]

Any problems with heat or any other problems for that matter (drivers etc)?

None thus far with the Intel 525! I had been running the Crucial since the NUC release back in December, without any problems as well.
is there a way to force some settings in a config.txt file or something like that (like in the raspberry pi)?
sometimes, for some reasons, there's no sound and i need to go in the audio setting at the bottom and select the right values and for my screen, the refresh rate is also fluctuating between 24, 50 & 60 and then the image is bigger than the screen.
anybody for helping me on the settings file on NUC i3 + Openelec + XBMC Frodo + multiple profiles?
(2013-10-13, 20:48)smallclone Wrote: [ -> ]My celeron 847 doesn't like AAC audio. Every time I play one I have to fiddle with the audio delay to find the right audio synch amount. Quite annoying. It's fine with the Dolby and DTS rips.

I have tried unchecking the options in audio like AAC Capable and dts-hd capable. It makes no difference. Also tried selecting set audio to video but no joy.

Any suggestions?

Well if anybody cares - I switched off "Adjust display refresh rate to match video". And it's far better.

I guess this may be my tv at fault.
(2013-10-15, 11:08)jayce996 Wrote: [ -> ]
anybody for helping me on the settings file on NUC i3 + Openelec + XBMC Frodo + multiple profiles?

Set your tv to not overscan
Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone in this thread who's taken the time to offer advice and information. Yes, I have waded through all 180-odd pages....and I've picked up a wealth of great tips and understanding.

I have a Haswell i3 on order, £230, didn't seem like a bad price as I was on the brink of dropping £200 on the current model. No idea on a date yet but hopefully by the end of the month. Have a Crucial M4 64Gb and 4Gb RAM to put in it and will be running Win8, with media on a Synology NAS.

Haven't run XBMC since I had it on an original XBOX about 10 years ago so really looking forward to getting up to date...

Will be happy to return the favours and run some tests on it when it arrives should anybody want to know anything. You may have to bear with me though as I don't know a great deal about video...
(2013-10-15, 22:48)ChopD Wrote: [ -> ]Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone in this thread who's taken the time to offer advice and information. Yes, I have waded through all 180-odd pages....and I've picked up a wealth of great tips and understanding.

I have a Haswell i3 on order, £230, didn't seem like a bad price as I was on the brink of dropping £200 on the current model. No idea on a date yet but hopefully by the end of the month. Have a Crucial M4 64Gb and 4Gb RAM to put in it and will be running Win8, with media on a Synology NAS.

Haven't run XBMC since I had it on an original XBOX about 10 years ago so really looking forward to getting up to date...

Will be happy to return the favours and run some tests on it when it arrives should anybody want to know anything. You may have to bear with me though as I don't know a great deal about video...

Where did you order from Big Grin ?
http://www.dabs.com/products/intel-wilso...-9067.html

I notice it now says 4 on order, it was 6 this afternoon. Whether this indicates 2 orders have been placed since I did mine, who knows.
(2013-10-15, 23:09)ChopD Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.dabs.com/products/intel-wilso...-9067.html

I notice it now says 4 on order, it was 6 this afternoon. Whether this indicates 2 orders have been placed since I did mine, who knows.

Yeah I ordered an i5 from them too. That order thing is weird, it seems to go up and down daily...At one point for i5 it said there weren't any..which cant be right because mine was still on order haha, so not sure what to make of that.

Anyway, go into your orders and click on the nuc, scroll down to Outstanding items, and it should say underneath the product an ETA.

For example mine says;
Awaiting stock from our supplier
More stock due Wednesday 23rd October

I'm expecting this to change this week (probably to the 30 - 31st) but you never know Wink What does yours say for the i3?