Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ah, nice one. Says Weds 30th. Fingers crossed!

Just noticed the RAM I have is 1.5v.....apparently it will work in a 1.35v slot but can lead to issues in time. Not sure how true this is but will get some 1.35v regardless.

Any particular reason you went for the i5, given the lesser models seem spec'd highly enough for HTPC use?
I'm not sure about the RAM issue, hopefully somebody else does here - I still have to order mine yet.

I expect the i5 will change to 30th soon then too lol Sad

No particular reason I chose the i5, i3 is fine and probably better power wise/heat, its just I'm pretty sure I'll end up trying emulators on it eventually (I think the i5 has higher GPU, probably doesn't add up to much but yeah) and then I never like the idea of getting something less powerful and possibly ending up regretting it later if that were to ever happen Tongue
(2013-10-15, 00:05)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]I want to see what people run into with OpenElec before I order one.

Why would you want to run OpenELEC on these? It's a great distribution for low powered devices but it's a hassle to create/install/maintain addons or do anything else than XBMC with it. I'm currently on the Ivy Bridge i5 NUC and man does Arch Linux fly on this. Using BTRFS for root allows me to easily roll back failed updates, I can use UEFI boot, I can install anything else I want including bleeding edge graphics stack software. The NUC is very powerful and deserves a real distro Smile
(2013-10-16, 00:15)ChopD Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, nice one. Says Weds 30th. Fingers crossed!

Just noticed the RAM I have is 1.5v.....apparently it will work in a 1.35v slot but can lead to issues in time. Not sure how true this is but will get some 1.35v regardless.

Any particular reason you went for the i5, given the lesser models seem spec'd highly enough for HTPC use?

Review sites linked previously say that the haswell NUC will require 1.35v RAM, so i'd just pony up and get some of that. Perhaps waiting to see if they have a recommended list will save you some headaches? Shame, i was hording some 1.5v DDR3 for a future NUC, guess I won't need it for that!

(2013-10-16, 14:03)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-15, 00:05)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]I want to see what people run into with OpenElec before I order one.

Why would you want to run OpenELEC on these? It's a great distribution for low powered devices but it's a hassle to create/install/maintain addons or do anything else than XBMC with it. I'm currently on the Ivy Bridge i5 NUC and man does Arch Linux fly on this. Using BTRFS for root allows me to easily roll back failed updates, I can use UEFI boot, I can install anything else I want including bleeding edge graphics stack software. The NUC is very powerful and deserves a real distro Smile

Some people want an applicance like environment. Set it up once, and forget it. NUC (espically i3/i5 ones) w/ msata can definitely DO a lot more, some people just choose to NOT have them do more.

Haswell nuc adds (hopefully) better IR support, on/off from a remote, and fixes the 24p sync issues. Thats enough to get one and JUST use OE on it for a large subset.
i see dabs have the i5 version for €356 which is not bad.

i plan to run openelec on it, is 4GB memory enough or do i need 8GB?
main uses would be watching HD movies and TV shows.

what is "bleeding edge graphics stack software" ?
(2013-10-16, 14:23)00b5 Wrote: [ -> ]Review sites linked previously say that the haswell NUC will require 1.35v RAM, so i'd just pony up and get some of that. Perhaps waiting to see if they have a recommended list will save you some headaches? Shame, i was hording some 1.5v DDR3 for a future NUC, guess I won't need it for that!

Yeah I'd seen that somewhere along the line. Intel specs confirm it........there's some Crucial 4gb on the tested compatibility list so I'll just get that.
Where is the tested compatibility list, is it updated for the new version?
This is the i5 page on the Intel site:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/cat.../doc_guide

I assume the system memory page is updated for the particular model it's referenced from, but I've not actually checked whether that page is the same for the old model. I'd guess whatever it says is still valid though, and it clearly states 1.5v isn't supported.

I notice Crucial ram often states 1.35/1.5v....could be that it's traditional 1.5v ram but people know it'll get by in a 1.35v slot.
(2013-10-16, 14:23)00b5 Wrote: [ -> ]Some people want an applicance like environment. Set it up once, and forget it. NUC (espically i3/i5 ones) w/ msata can definitely DO a lot more, some people just choose to NOT have them do more.

Haswell nuc adds (hopefully) better IR support, on/off from a remote, and fixes the 24p sync issues. Thats enough to get one and JUST use OE on it for a large subset.

I have 23.976 playback on my NUC using OpenElec (Gotham does it out of the box, Frodo needed a custom xorg.conf). Or at least ... the logs say it's running at 23.976 fps.
(2013-10-16, 17:24)ciaran75 Wrote: [ -> ]i plan to run openelec on it, is 4GB memory enough or do i need 8GB?
main uses would be watching HD movies and TV shows.

4 GB is enough Nod

(2013-10-16, 21:01)Raytestrak Wrote: [ -> ]Or at least ... the logs say it's running at 23.976 fps.

So you have an IvyBridge CPU and it should be a Bug in your Logs Wink
(2013-10-16, 20:59)ChopD Wrote: [ -> ]This is the i5 page on the Intel site:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/cat.../doc_guide

I assume the system memory page is updated for the particular model it's referenced from, but I've not actually checked whether that page is the same for the old model. I'd guess whatever it says is still valid though, and it clearly states 1.5v isn't supported.

I notice Crucial ram often states 1.35/1.5v....could be that it's traditional 1.5v ram but people know it'll get by in a 1.35v slot.

Thanks, I noticed that Crucial ram states 1.35/1.5v as well.

I was planning on going with this

If you check the legit reviews' review here, they state:
Quote:
We are using an 8GB (2x4GB) 204-pin DDR3L 1600MHz SO-DIMM laptop memory kit from Crucial . This means we will be running 8GB (4GBx2) dual channel at 1600MHz with CL11 timings (11-11-11 w/ 1T command rate) at 1.35V. This laptop memory kit is sold under part number CT2KIT51264BF160B

The part number CT2KIT51264BF160B just means its a 2 pack of CT51264BF160B which is the dabs one I linked above. So I presume it works, these guys also overclocked memory here. Though they used a different crucial set and a Kingston set. I doubt it makes a difference though if the first set worked fine in the first review as they state the other crucial set isn't actually available yet Sad

I plan on getting 8gb, again for any future purposes even though its overkill Rolleyes never know what might happen, maybe my desktop will die and ill need it as a temporary spare /touchwood Tongue

I don't find it a hassle at all. If anything I found that dealing with XBMC on Windows previously was a much bigger hassle purely from an OS perspective.

You are right, an i3 or i5 NUC is a good machine for running a full desktop OS and also using a media center application package within that OS, but personally I just want a very fast and powerful appliance computer that gives great HTPC performance without all of the headaches of a "full" OS or the limitations and crappy performance of a cheap media streamer.

I have OE running on an Ivy i3 right now and it is great. It updates itself (as well as add-ons) with no input from me, and via an IR bridge it is working well with my Harmony. By comparison when I was running Windows it was a constant pain between forced updates, driver issues, etc.

The new NUC adding true 23.976 support, integrated IR, etc, at a sub $300 price point for an i3 box is a pretty good deal compared to the $500+ I spent building a custom i3 machine 18 months ago.

(2013-10-16, 21:01)Raytestrak Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-16, 14:23)00b5 Wrote: [ -> ]Some people want an applicance like environment. Set it up once, and forget it. NUC (espically i3/i5 ones) w/ msata can definitely DO a lot more, some people just choose to NOT have them do more.

I have 23.976 playback on my NUC using OpenElec (Gotham does it out of the box, Frodo needed a custom xorg.conf). Or at least ... the logs say it's running at 23.976 fps.

With Ivy Bridge you will get a frame drop about every 7 minutes or so. Not noticeable to some, very noticeable to others (me).

Also, because it can't do perfect 23.976 playback there are problems with True-HD audio dropouts for example, if you are doing bit-stream and passing audio with the "sync to display" option set.

I am optimistic that OE on Haswell will not have these issues. With true 23.976 performance it shouldn't even be necessary to sync to display at all, because the clock on the NUC is going to be extremely close to that of the AVR and display.

(2013-10-16, 17:52)jayce996 Wrote: [ -> ]

what is "bleeding edge graphics stack software" ?

I don't know what he's talking about, but perhaps it's some Linux equivalent of MaDVR. I get it, some people love to tinker, they don't mind having a keyboard and mouse out when they are using the PC that's connected to their TV. Some of us just want a good playback experience and nice UI and want our stuff to work without constantly dicking with it.

I have seen people with dumbfounded looks on their faces when I pointed out that they spent 10's of hours getting things to work and employing lots of circus magic in the process when something like OE could have gotten them 90% of the way there in a matter of minutes. Some peoples time is more or less valuable than others maybe.
As a final note to my above lengthy comments.... I always find it amusing (or annoying maybe) when someone craps all over XBMC as being overly limited... especially in the an XBMC forum thread.
(2013-10-17, 00:19)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]As a final note to my above lengthy comments.... I always find it amusing (or annoying maybe) when someone craps all over XBMC as being overly limited... especially in the an XBMC forum thread.

Are they crapping all over XBMC or OpenElec? I believe the guy in question was stating that running OE on a NUC is a waste of the potential of the NUC. I personally, want my htpc to only be a htpc. Before OE I ran XBMC for Windows, but I wish I'd had switched sooner. Maybe a Linux based XBMC would have been more stable too, but I've got to say I love my NUC in combination with OE.

In regards to the 23,976: you're right, I don't see framedrops. I hope I'm not going to notice it now. Smile
On OE/Frodo, xbmc did 24fps instead of 23,976. And in Windows, I didn't think it was possible at all. I thought that was the bug. You're right about the True-HD audio drops. Unfortunately, Gotham hasn't fixed that yet. There's a new Audio-Engine with more options, but True-HD does have audio glitches when resync is set to video clock. No problems with syncing to audio clock, and luckily I don't see framedrops.