Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nice the silverstone looks like a nice one!, btw got an answer from adata, and the sx300 64gb msata got a 5volt standby that cant be turned off. Thats why my system been that way. Hopefully ill be getting my intel 525 today. And return the asata.
OK, then that is explained and clarified. The reason for that standby voltage isn't given by Adata?
So i got my intel 525 and the same thing, i didnt screw on the bottom and just plugged it in to the wall without turning it on and sure enough the msata disk gets "warm" not hot but still a little warm.

This might be stretching it, but can someone check if there msata is warm preferably by unscrewing the bottom and just putting a finger on it. Or if someone can feel it through the case? it seems to be designed that way with msata?
Shut it down and pulled the plug. Cooling it down as we speak. BTW, there is a green led on the motherboard that I notice now for the first time as I've taking the cover of and put the power in. Didn't noticed that before with the housing closed. This is normal I guess, many mainboards have a led indication that comes on (and stays on) when the power cable is placed although they are "off". Pulled the power-cord again and waiting for the ssd to cool down, then put the power back in the NUC without starting it. Will call back later.

Update: OK, the ssd is getting a little bit warmer after a wail with the power-cable placed, but its really not that much warmer. When I place the cover again I can't feel the warmth on the outside. I have placed a Plextor M5M.
awsome thanks! Yeah the green led is here to, thats a led on the nuc itself. What msata drive do you have?
Yeah ive been reading up on 5v standby, and on some motherboards its possible to disable, but not on the nuc if ive understand everything correctly! I can feel a little warmth outside of the box, but its not much. Thanks for taking the time and checking! =)
The nuc combined with xbmc is without a doubt the best experience ive had with xbmc. rpi and ouya dont come close even tough their good little cheaper alternatives.
Just installed a celeron NUC today, really impressed. Small and fast and very easy to set up. One thing took me an hour though, bios was pretty old (v40, there were several newe versions already out). Keyboard would not respond to f7 to update from USB, found more users with that issue and you need a bios update to solve it...... !?

As I don't have windows ended up with the bios jumper method, might save others some time, thought it was my USB stick, file system etc....now it runs very sweet!

One question left, in bios you can change video memory. I recall from my asrock ion 330 that I had to change that from 256 to 512 , do I need to set it here or is that done automagically nowadays?
(2014-01-04, 13:44)charliebrown Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah ive been reading up on 5v standby, and on some motherboards its possible to disable, but not on the nuc if ive understand everything correctly! I can feel a little warmth outside of the box, but its not much. Thanks for taking the time and checking! =)
The nuc combined with xbmc is without a doubt the best experience ive had with xbmc. rpi and ouya dont come close even tough their good little cheaper alternatives.
I ordered a Thunderbolt > LAN adapter (a BR image doesn't stream nice with wifi only), but beside that extra €27,-, this i3 model we bought is without doubt a hell of a buy at this moment.
(2014-01-04, 20:01)p750mmx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-04, 13:44)charliebrown Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah ive been reading up on 5v standby, and on some motherboards its possible to disable, but not on the nuc if ive understand everything correctly! I can feel a little warmth outside of the box, but its not much. Thanks for taking the time and checking! =)
I ordered a Thunderbolt > LAN adapter (a BR image doesn't stream nice with wifi only), but beside that extra €27,-, this i3 model we bought is without doubt a hell of a buy at this moment.

I am looking at buying the DC3217BY to replace my Acer Revo r3610. I have just begun upgrading my entire video library from 720p to 1080p and have come across some 10bit (GoT specifically, not Anime) files that I can play smoothly on my Revo so looking to make the upgrade on that basis. Would the DC3217BY be ok to run these files? I saw a video on YouTube of the Celeron version running some stuff with 10bit encoding and only dropping a few frames when the bitrate really went quite high, so hoping that the i3 version should be more than sufficient.

I have all of my media on an UnRaid server so could I get away with running off the NUC with a USB stick or should I get an mSATA? Looks as though I can get 32GB for around £40 so not a huge outlay.
Besides the NUC I have now I also have an Giada with the same i3 (and HD 4000), and that can play everything I trow at it. This will not mean that there could be no problem with some files, when played under certain software. While all goes well under Windows, there could be a problem with an other OS or stand-alone setup (OpenElec), or vice versa. So this i3 can theoretically play everything (in Full HD and Real 3D), but it depends on the circumstances.
What is Real 3D?
Real 3D is what I call the BR 3D format, the RealD 3D format and the Imax 3D format, so 3D, active and passive, in full HD (2x 1080p).
OK I think you mean MVC decoding. XBMC doesn't do that.
Correct, XBMC itself doesn't at this moment, but maybe one should also look over the fence at whats out there to see what might be possible before one buys new hardware?
Besides that, last year, before the summer, OE and AMD and HD-audio was also a no go, so what is not there now could well be in a year or so. Besides that, there is an XBMC external player solution for Windows.
AMD HD audio is there and working in oe.