Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-02-21, 20:32)Jasp Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-18, 19:55)freak1 Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking of replacing my ATV 1 with Intel's latest NUC with celeron processor.
Btw, I already have 4TB external HDD. So, I just need ssd for OS only.
Any suggestions, please?

Got mine delivered yesterday and all I can say is that it was easy to setup.

Running out of space in my i3 530 HTPC with 7TB of HDD's, so looking at an alternative setup.
Will use the i3 530 as an Unraid Server and this new Celeron NUC as my front end.

Its capable of playing anything stored at the moment and
got it running 4GB DDR3 with Openelec Beta 2.992 on a Sandisk Cruzer Fit (16Gb Nano USB),
Intel x86_64 download worked a treat, all drivers set up correctly.

Only took about an hour to setup all my libraries.
System now has the NUC and 2 Rasp Pi's in the kids rooms, all running efficiently.

Was looking at building a Mini ITX system, but believe at this price point why bother.

Wow!! 7tb and running out of space? Smile Must have lots of goodies...
Anyway, thanks for the info and right now I got running gbox midnight with linux build of xbmc. So, far running excellent, even 1080p.
But I'll get NUC soon.
So if I am reading this thread correctly, the Celeron NUC wouldn't be a good candidate for a Win7/XBMC?
(2013-02-22, 18:15)Geran Wrote: [ -> ]So if I am reading this thread correctly, the Celeron NUC wouldn't be a good candidate for a Win7/XBMC?

You are reading it wrong.
(2013-02-22, 18:15)Geran Wrote: [ -> ]So if I am reading this thread correctly, the Celeron NUC wouldn't be a good candidate for a Win7/XBMC?

Definitely reading it wrong, It's a pretty powerful machine that can run Win 7 without an issue.
Don't expect to play Crysis on it, but for general PC duties shouldn't have an issue.
(2013-02-22, 21:02)Jasp Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely reading it wrong, It's a pretty powerful machine that can run Win 7 without an issue.
Don't expect to play Crysis on it, but for general PC duties shouldn't have an issue.
Definitely not considering running Crysis on this...it would be used for 1080p playback through XBMC and watching recorded television broadcasts.

This is the post that confused me...

(2013-02-14, 23:20)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]With the latest HD4000, yes. But I'm not sure about other intel iGPU.....I think that you will need a better CPU+iGPU than 847 to enjoy 1080P and bitstreaming HD audio fluently using Frodo/Windows......

The Intel NUC might be the king of low power CPU+iGPU that can do it all.....
(2013-02-22, 21:14)Geran Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-22, 21:02)Jasp Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely reading it wrong, It's a pretty powerful machine that can run Win 7 without an issue.
Definitely not considering running Crysis on this...it would be used for 1080p playback through XBMC and watching recorded television broadcasts.

This is the post that confused me...

(2013-02-14, 23:20)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]With the latest HD4000, yes. But I'm not sure about other intel iGPU.....I think that you will need a better CPU+iGPU than 847 to enjoy 1080P and bitstreaming HD audio fluently using Frodo/Windows......

The Intel NUC might be the king of low power CPU+iGPU that can do it all.....

Well I'm streaming 1080p movies on my Gigabit network with no issues.
Perhaps wirelessly you will have issues and as for Live TV, some are having troubles. I haven't set mine for Live Feeds yet.
(2013-02-22, 21:20)Jasp Wrote: [ -> ]Well I'm streaming 1080p movies on my Gigabit network with no issues.
Perhaps wirelessly you will have issues and as for Live TV, some are having troubles. I haven't set mine for Live Feeds yet.
Thanks mate! This is good news as I will be using for streaming movies and recorded shows (not LiveTV) over Gigabit network
(2013-02-20, 14:48)Wraith88 Wrote: [ -> ]Damn, I would have gotten the Celeron if I knew It was able to run Aeon efficently. Was just looking to replace my ATV1 and got the i3 model. Bit of overkill, but whatever.
It comes in today so I'll post my experiences later

How's your experience so far, mate?
HI

first sorry for my english

this is first HTPC for me

i just received the nuc and installing OpenELEC Stable - Intel x86_64 Version:2.0.0

just i have 2 question

1- how to get audio working ?
i have connected the nuc into sony lcd directly but theres no sound
i dont know how to make it working im new to the XBMC
i try from audio output with no luck

last night watch movie without sound lol
just to see how xbmc and nuc will work and it was great

2- how to get remote app android working ?
i active in the xbmc some setting just didnt work yet

and the last im thinking to buy more htpc
i like openelec just i want ask if you think ARCTIC MC001 will be less problems
because it has spacial os from openelec

http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/download...001-builds

thank you in advance
(2013-02-26, 15:12)yaser222 Wrote: [ -> ]1- how to get audio working ?

Set audio to Analog

thank you in advance
You can setup Frodo audio output similar to my screen shot below, and it'll be Intel for your NUC. Here are more tips- Simplify XBMC configurations......

I'd certainly be interested in hearing any views on the Celeron nuc, what media/skins it's capable off.

if not I wonder if one of those Broadcom crystal cards would fit in one, are they mini pci-e?

EDIT: After a quick read up, I think Broadcom hd card would work in this, unsure if openelec would see it. I'm guessing the default skin would work fine?
(2013-02-26, 15:38)spencers Wrote: [ -> ]

Set audio to Analog

Cool I'm going to try that when I get home
Actually it was on analog and didn't work just then I changed it to HDMI

but I think I know what the problem
The acc receiver it was on
I think I should be disabled

(2013-02-26, 16:30)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]

thank you in advance
You can setup Frodo audio output similar to my screen shot below, and it'll be Intel for your NUC. Here are more tips- Simplify XBMC configurations......

Thx I'm going to check my settings again
It's a little bit different than your setup I will post screen setting if didn't work with me

Thx all
(2013-02-26, 16:37)nabberuk Wrote: [ -> ]I'd certainly be interested in hearing any views on the Celeron nuc, what media/skins it's capable off.

if not I wonder if one of those Broadcom crystal cards would fit in one, are they mini pci-e?

EDIT: After a quick read up, I think Broadcom hd card would work in this, unsure if openelec would see it. I'm guessing the default skin would work fine?

I have one on order and should get it Thursday or Friday, so I'll give a review once I've had a chance to play with it.

You shouldn't need a crystal HD card, the celeron is capable of hardware video decoding, but it's hardware encoding capability is disabled. A previous poster said that it runs heavy skins like aeon NOX with no problems.
(2013-02-26, 17:04)DrowningApe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-26, 16:37)nabberuk Wrote: [ -> ]I'd certainly be interested in hearing any views on the Celeron nuc, what media/skins it's capable off.

I have one on order and should get it Thursday or Friday, so I'll give a review once I've had a chance to play with it.

You shouldn't need a crystal HD card, the celeron is capable of hardware video decoding, but it's hardware encoding capability is disabled. A previous poster said that it runs heavy skins like aeon NOX with no problems.

Cool, looking forward to the feedback. How do you enable the hardware decoding?