Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have had INTEL NUC with 8 GB ram and 60 GB SSD for a month and it is a impressive machine.

It does however not handle Windows 8 and XBMC(11) vary well Sad There is always a little lag in videos. If I switch on to adjust refresh rate to video it will be super smooth but then there will be major problems with audio sync that is different from video to video.

Maby it is only a closed environment as for example openeelec that should be recommended with this hardware? The best part with running Windows is that I get more control over files(dont know Linux) and that its possible to just jump out and browse internet or run spotify.
Have you tried XBMC 12?
(2013-03-15, 12:44)snowjim Wrote: [ -> ]I have had INTEL NUC with 8 GB ram and 60 GB SSD for a month and it is a impressive machine.

It does however not handle Windows 8 and XBMC(11) vary well Sad There is always a little lag in videos. If I switch on to adjust refresh rate to video it will be super smooth but then there will be major problems with audio sync that is different from video to video.

Maby it is only a closed environment as for example openeelec that should be recommended with this hardware? The best part with running Windows is that I get more control over files(dont know Linux) and that its possible to just jump out and browse internet or run spotify.

What version are you using i3 or Celeron?
(2013-03-15, 12:59)PatrickVogeli Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried XBMC 12?

No, I have it setup exactly as I want right now, do not want to make to much changes if it can be avoided.

(2013-03-15, 16:47)freak1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-15, 12:44)snowjim Wrote: [ -> ]I have had INTEL NUC with 8 GB ram and 60 GB SSD for a month and it is a impressive machine.

Its the I3 version.
My experience with the Nuc, as a complete Xbmc newbie:

I got the Celeron 847 NUC today and plugged 4GB of kingston DDR3 into it.
I'm using a spare 8GB USB stick to host openelec 3.0RC5, and my media library is on an external USB drive.
Using this as a media player on a Bravia LCD.
No mstata ssd for now (I have no need for it so far).

Conclusion:
Fast boot, player interface is very smooth.
The box easily played everything I thrown it so far, 'birds' and 'HD-DVD' 1080p sample videos are running smoothly.
It also easily handles the Eon skin.
I love all the Xbmc settings to fine tune display rate, video sync, etc...

If anyone still wonders if this Celeron Nuc can fit the job as a quick ass Xbmc player, well yes !
Paid 166€ (tax included) for the bundle (NUC+DDR3), which is a fine bargain IMHO.
No SSD? So does the RAM act as a RAM disk? If not I would think running off a USB stick would be slow...
(2013-03-15, 16:59)snowjim Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-15, 12:59)PatrickVogeli Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried XBMC 12?

No, I have it setup exactly as I want right now, do not want to make to much changes if it can be avoided.

(2013-03-15, 16:47)freak1 Wrote: [ -> ]

Its the I3 version.

Have you tried 3D and pure bluray 1080p videos?
(2013-03-15, 17:49)Busenheimer Wrote: [ -> ]No SSD? So does the RAM act as a RAM disk? If not I would think running off a USB stick would be slow...

OpenELEC runs pretty much in memory.
Really? Then why buy a SSD at all? Wouldn't an USB boot stick and 4GB of fast memory be cheaper and faster than a SSD boot drive?

Have you updated the BIOS, and are you running the latest drivers?
(2013-03-15, 17:43)wlk_ Wrote: [ -> ]Paid 166€ (tax included) for the bundle (NUC+DDR3), which is a fine bargain IMHO.
Can you post a link to that deal please most places I have seen are charging around €167 for the NUC on it's own.
(2013-03-13, 12:03)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]I'm in the UK looking to replace my Acer Revo 3700 with the Celeron NUC to use OpenElec XBMC.

I've priced this up at Dabs.com

That look ok? Will all that work? I'm not looking to encode. Only be a kickass network media streamer!

That looks a cracking price. Seems from here and around the web the Celeron powered one is a great streamer so at that price I think I shall be copying you. Let us know how it goes.
Folks,
Was going to look into setting up openelec on the i3 NUC
Some questions -
1) Before I start with OS install, should I update the BIOS
I presume I need to download the zip file (second file from top) from this link
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_D...E&lang=eng

2) Which open elec build should i be installing?
Do I need the latest Intel build?
(2013-03-15, 20:20)atandon Wrote: [ -> ]Folks,
Was going to look into setting up openelec on the i3 NUC
Some questions -
1) Before I start with OS install, should I update the BIOS
I presume I need to download the zip file (second file from top) from this link
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_D...E&lang=eng

2) Which open elec build should i be installing?
Do I need the latest Intel build?

A bios update may or may not be required depending on the manufacture date of your NUC.the last update was a few months ago. I would recommend openELEC for intel graphics rc5.
Intel's site shows latest BIOS is from Mar 4, so anything shipped out probably does not have it.