Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-04-08, 20:51)kennyx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-08, 20:04)DrowningApe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-08, 19:45)kennyx Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed... Lovin the Nuc (celeron) so far. Outside of the heat (constantly running 178F-180F), it's handled everything I've thrown at it.

Hmm... Mine seems to max out at 155F. I wonder if there's inconsistent application of thermal paste, or seating of the heat sink that would explain the different temp readings that users are getting? Does anyone with an extra toasty NUC feel like removing the heatsink and applying some Arctic Silver, or other good quality thermal paste?

Or could it be the OS? Im running XBMCbuntu... Are you on openelec?

Yes.
OK, got my NUC I3 today.

Im seriously stuck.

Spent 5 hours on it already, and not even loaded xbmc yet.

Installed the ram, ssd etc. no issues.

Tried to access the bios with F2, tried to flash bios with F7, tried to get the boot menu with F10. No luck. Made a bootable USB with windows 7, and got into windows. Updated to lates bios 0040 via windows - no issues.

Now I want to install openelec or xbmcbuntu, however, I cannot as I still cannot enter bios or boot menu. so it just boots into windows. I have tried with the two televisions I have with hdmi. no luck.

No idea what to do now.
Try to reboot instead of turning off windows! I had the same problem with win8. If I did shut down and then pressed the button to start up again I could not boot into bios. When I did a reboot and the pressing "del" I was able to boot into bios.
i have win 8 on my nuc i3 - did a windows 8 install off of a usb stick
i had no problems
how is your keyboard hooked up? i did a straight usb hook up of my keyboard - u don't have a combo keyboard/mouse - i had problems with that
Neither works.

However I located the bios jumper on the motherboard, was then forced into bios, and there added USB to the boot sequence.

Pheew, this ain't easy.

Thanks for the comments though
(2013-04-09, 00:30)martindk Wrote: [ -> ]Neither works.

However I located the bios jumper on the motherboard, was then forced into bios, and there added USB to the boot sequence.

Pheew, this ain't easy.

This is fixed with the newer bios. Getting to the point of installing the newer bios required me to do the procedure you just described.
(2013-04-08, 21:38)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone here with the Celeron check to see if pin 9 has 5v when switched off?

If it does then simerec is gonna work!

I've got an I3 but I'll try to check on Wednesday. I'll run up somewhere and get a cheap volt meter...
(2013-04-09, 01:26)DrowningApe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-09, 00:30)martindk Wrote: [ -> ]Neither works.

Pheew, this ain't easy.

This is fixed with the newer bios. Getting to the point of installing the newer bios required me to do the procedure you just described.

Sadly no, it's not fixed, at least not for everyone including me. With bios 0040 I still cannot use f2 to go it bios, or any of the other f-keys for that matter. I just use a standard wired USB keyboard.

I could try to flash the bios again later to see if something went wrong the first time.
hmm weird,

I also got the i3 NUC,

and even with the initial firmware 0020 that was on it, i could enter the BIOS.

Using a Lenovo USB keyboard.
(2013-04-09, 04:38)squigglyline Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-08, 21:38)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone here with the Celeron check to see if pin 9 has 5v when switched off?

If it does then simerec is gonna work!

I've got an I3 but I'll try to check on Wednesday. I'll run up somewhere and get a cheap volt meter...

Ah, welcome back Squigglyline. Much obliged!
Yeah, that keyboard issue is odd. I'm using some cheap Viewsonic laptop-style USB keyboard that came free with my first-ever LCD monitor like 10 years ago, and it worked on the original BIOS without issue.

So far my XBMC+Win7 build is working okay after some initial audio issues. I must say my Marantz SR9600 receiver does NOT like changing refresh rates, and every now and then I end up with a black screen that's solved by powering the amp on/off.
Is the 24 fps issue on windows only or is it inherent in all OS's when using a Nuc?

About to pull the trigger on a Celeron box but really want 24fps.
Intel Nuc with i5 or i7. Plus USB 3 Rumor.

Hope this is true and leads to the i3 price going down a bit.
I was really looking forward to the i5 model with USB3.0. What I don't understand is why they made the front port USB3.0 instead of the back ports. It doesn't make any sense.

As for the i7 model, it's no longer 4"x4". I was expecting all NUCs to have the same dimensions.
I wouldn't go for an i5 or i7 Nuc, not as dedicated xbmc machine anyway. I have the i3 model and it's silent most of the time, but when the fan does kick in, it is pretty loud. Haven't heard it spin during playback, but when manually choosing artwork for instance, it's quite loud.