Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-04-09, 08:38)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-09, 04:38)squigglyline Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-08, 21:38)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone here with the Celeron check to see if pin 9 has 5v when switched off?

If it does then simerec is gonna work!

I've got an I3 but I'll try to check on Wednesday. I'll run up somewhere and get a cheap volt meter...

Ah, welcome back Squigglyline. Much obliged!

If you can give me an idea of what kind of inexpensive volt meter to get (lowes or radio shack) and what I need to do to get a reading - let me know and I'll get it taken care of later today...
I can do this at the weekend. My NUC is currently being fitted for a custom case.
(2013-04-10, 17:20)snapilica2003 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-10, 12:54)-Riffer- Wrote: [ -> ]Using NUC with Core i3 unter Windows 7 64 I have the problem that BR ISOs do not really play over Network. Other programs do well but XBMC only stutters and shows only slow motion. The network should not be the problem because I had an android player that used to play BR Iso very well over the same ethernet cable.

Any hints to solve this?
If the BR you are playing has VC-1 encoded video, then that might be the problem, XBMC has some problems decoding VC-1.

Where exactly are you getting that from? I have tons of BD discs ripped to MKV that have VC1 video tracks and XBMC has not had a problem playing them either under Windows 7 or under OpenElec.
In reading over this entire thread, I may have missed the answer to this, so my apologies.

I'm looking at picking up a Celeron NUC, but I wanted to hold off on the mSATA drive for a few weeks until I have more money to get a 120GB mSATA card. For installing on a thumb drive, for either Openelec or W7/8, what is the minimum capacity necessary? The only thing I really run is 1080/720p streams for TV/movies and mp3 playback.

Thanks!
XBMC does not play interlaced VC-1 content. There's a bug in track. That's the only issue I'm aware of with VC1.
(2013-04-10, 19:04)squigglyline Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-09, 08:38)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-09, 04:38)squigglyline Wrote: [ -> ]I've got an I3 but I'll try to check on Wednesday. I'll run up somewhere and get a cheap volt meter...

Ah, welcome back Squigglyline. Much obliged!

If you can give me an idea of what kind of inexpensive volt meter to get (lowes or radio shack) and what I need to do to get a reading - let me know and I'll get it taken care of later today...

Measure across Pin 9 and pin 5. I'm in UK bud. Just want a basic meter that can measure volts in DC. [itll probably do AC as well]

(2013-04-10, 19:30)lem000 Wrote: [ -> ]I can do this at the weekend. My NUC is currently being fitted for a custom case.

Sweet! Make sure you put up pics!
(2013-04-10, 20:22)fubar013 Wrote: [ -> ]In reading over this entire thread, I may have missed the answer to this, so my apologies.

I'm looking at picking up a Celeron NUC, but I wanted to hold off on the mSATA drive for a few weeks until I have more money to get a 120GB mSATA card. For installing on a thumb drive, for either Openelec or W7/8, what is the minimum capacity necessary? The only thing I really run is 1080/720p streams for TV/movies and mp3 playback.

Thanks!

I'd recommend openELEC since it runs in RAM, and doesn't require the read and write speed of an SSD. You don't need anything more than 4GB, though I would get a 16GB SanDisk cruzer, as it barely sticks out, and it's cheap.
Quote:Measure across Pin 9 and pin 5. I'm in UK bud. Just want a basic meter that can measure volts in DC. [itll probably do AC as well]
Or stick a led across, cheaper than buying a meter.
(2013-04-10, 13:43)der_zeisig Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-10, 12:42)martindk Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for thanking the time to help out, that was very kind of you Smile

Don't thank me yet, I believe I forgot something. The file needs to be made executable, so you need to set the correct permissions:

Putty to nuc, log in as root, then type:

Code:
cd /storage/.config
chmod a+x autostart.sh

Close Putty session, you should be all set then. If you want to know what you just did, have a read here and there.

Lemme know how it went...

Haha, thanks for completeing the intructutions then Smile

I had a few mins to test this yesterday.

I did get an error when booting the NUC, something with "line 2" (it boots so fast its hard to read) my guess was that it refered to the text in the autostart.sh file, where line 2 is blank acording to your instuctions earlier. so I moved up line 3 to line 2, and now no errors.

I also tried to make it executable as you wrote, and putty didnt give me any errors. However, Im still unsure if I see any differences. I know im not looking for something spectacular, so will check some more later today.

I was wondering, the new Openelec test builds are now out based on xbmc 12.2 (you can read about it on the xbmc frontpage), I wonder if the fix for this is already in there perhaps, or did that need a kernel update?

Another note. My NUC boots so fast that the wireless cant keep up, so had to use the "wait for network" option in the OE menu. Original with 5 seconds delay, but after your instructions with xrandr I had to up that to 8 seconds, orelse I would not get rss feeds etc.

Sorry for my spelling!
(2013-04-09, 18:27)Stridis Wrote: [ -> ]Hi !

Have just install my Intel NUC I3 in a Impactics D1NU-USB case :-)
I have even install 2 more USB connections on the internal headers, so now i have 5 USB ports total :-)
Just compare temperaturs now, with stock cooler at 50 % i had 58 celcius after 20 min with openelec and 1080P movie with DTS, and with the fanless case same movie and same time i have 44 celsius

Just use it for Openelec and movies

Happy with the install :-)

Now after 1 hour playing temp is 45 celsius

VERY HAPPY FOR THIS CASE :-) :-) :-)

Awesome! Glad it works well for you.

But now i feel bad for going for the serial port version :p

Looking at the pictures, I can't seem to find the USB headers on the board though? Did you need to solder them?

The COM port holes seem not too different to USB, maybe i can still put USB in there....

// Edit

Found some forum posts about this. Seems like there are some boards where there are solder points, but no header attached to it.

With headers: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_image...0x1024.jpg

Without: http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/syst...C_8900.jpg

I'm assuming the headers next to the raindbow-ones are for USB?!

Wish I had known this before, would have bought a different case and solder the headers before using thermal paste and screwing the board to the case ... Wink
(2013-04-11, 16:16)freezer2k Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-09, 18:27)Stridis Wrote: [ -> ]Hi !

Have just install my Intel NUC I3 in a Impactics D1NU-USB case :-)
I have even install 2 more USB connections on the internal headers, so now i have 5 USB ports total :-)
Just compare temperaturs now, with stock cooler at 50 % i had 58 celcius after 20 min with openelec and 1080P movie with DTS, and with the fanless case same movie and same time i have 44 celsius

Just use it for Openelec and movies

Happy with the install :-)

Now after 1 hour playing temp is 45 celsius

VERY HAPPY FOR THIS CASE :-) :-) :-)

Awesome! Glad it works well for you.

But now i feel bad for going for the serial port version :p

Looking at the pictures, I can't seem to find the USB headers on the board though? Did you need to solder them?

The COM port holes seem not too different to USB, maybe i can still put USB in there....

// Edit

Found some forum posts about this. Seems like there are some boards where there are solder points, but no header attached to it.

With headers: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_image...0x1024.jpg

Without: http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/syst...C_8900.jpg

I'm assuming the headers next to the raindbow-ones are for USB?!

Wish I had known this before, would have bought a different case and solder the headers before using thermal paste and screwing the board to the case ... Wink

I had headers on my MB, yes it is the headers next to the rainbows ones ;-)
Did u buy a motherboard only, or which version of the NUC?

http://www.frontx.com/cutout_dimension.gif

Hm... this kind a sucks, dimensions are too different as it looks.

Serial with 25mm between the screw-holes and USB about 30.

Looks like Impactics is not selling the back covers separately, in fact they seem not to sell any accessories :p
(2013-04-11, 18:04)freezer2k Wrote: [ -> ]Did u buy a motherboard only, or which version of the NUC?

http://www.frontx.com/cutout_dimension.gif

Hm... this kind a sucks, dimensions are too different as it looks.

Serial with 25mm between the screw-holes and USB about 30.

Looks like Impactics is not selling the back covers separately, in fact they seem not to sell any accessories :p

I did buy the complete Intel BOXDC3217IYE, soo i have take out the MB from Intel orginal case ;-)
(2013-04-10, 20:37)TugboatBill Wrote: [ -> ]XBMC does not play interlaced VC-1 content. There's a bug in track. That's the only issue I'm aware of with VC1.

Thanks. All my TV shows and Movies that are VC1 must not be interlaced content then because I've noticed no issues.
Does no one else have problems to play BR ISOs from the network?