Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-07-16, 22:36)johanp Wrote: [ -> ]My impression from reading this thread is that fan noise is typically not an issue when watching movies, but perhaps when using heavy skins? A bit unclear here, but quite a few people have complained about heavy noise (and I am very sensitive in this area). I don't think I will be running Aeon Nox, but will need something more customizable than Confluence. However, what about YouTube and other streaming services? As I understand YouTube is using flash and flash is not hardware accelarated currently on Linux, right? So will this tax the CPU so much that the fan kicks in

Play with the BIOS settings. Mine is silent!

Youtube plugin does not use flash. IIRC it pulls the h.264 copy from youtube.
(2013-07-17, 11:17)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]This is more general xbmc suggestion rather than NUC specific, but if you are bitstreaming audio over hdmi, make sure your audio setting in xbmc is using wasapi rather than durectsound. This fixed stuttering for me (Intel sandy bridge pentium, probably similar to i3 NUC)
(2013-07-16, 17:52)solomon23 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey There,

People in the beginning of the thread were saying they were able to get Dark Knight ( vc1 truehd ) to work without frame drops on their i3 intel nuc.

I've just built two of them, one with Windows8 and one with Windows7. Neither can play Dark Knight without lots of stuttering and frame drops. I tried with both dxva enabled and disabled without much difference. The cpu is pretty high but never maxes out. I'm bitstreaming the truehd audio track out to my amp.

Anyone else able to play Dark Knight inside of xbmc on windows without issue ?

Thanks,

Solomon

Thanks for the response, I have wasapi enabled and unchecked User a fullscreen window. I'm able to play all my other bluray rips without issue, but Dark Knight is a VC1 and gives me a lot of dropped frames. I have several other XBMC builds but really like the NUC's form factor, it worked with everything else I threw at it until I tried to play the Dark Knight.
(2013-07-17, 16:07)spencers Wrote: [ -> ]Play with the BIOS settings. Mine is silent!

Youtube plugin does not use flash. IIRC it pulls the h.264 copy from youtube.

Good to know! Thanks for the info.

I actually ordered this morning, couldn't wait Smile Will probably have it tomorrow, so will start playing tomorrow night.
(2013-07-17, 19:11)solomon23 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-17, 11:17)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]This is more general xbmc suggestion rather than NUC specific, but if you are bitstreaming audio over hdmi, make sure your audio setting in xbmc is using wasapi rather than durectsound. This fixed stuttering for me (Intel sandy bridge pentium, probably similar to i3 NUC)
(2013-07-16, 17:52)solomon23 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey There,

People in the beginning of the thread were saying they were able to get Dark Knight ( vc1 truehd ) to work without frame drops on their i3 intel nuc.

I've just built two of them, one with Windows8 and one with Windows7. Neither can play Dark Knight without lots of stuttering and frame drops. I tried with both dxva enabled and disabled without much difference. The cpu is pretty high but never maxes out. I'm bitstreaming the truehd audio track out to my amp.

Anyone else able to play Dark Knight inside of xbmc on windows without issue ?

Thanks,

Solomon

Thanks for the response, I have wasapi enabled and unchecked User a fullscreen window. I'm able to play all my other bluray rips without issue, but Dark Knight is a VC1 and gives me a lot of dropped frames. I have several other XBMC builds but really like the NUC's form factor, it worked with everything else I threw at it until I tried to play the Dark Knight.
Do your other XBMC machines play the Dark Knight VC1 OK? It's only the NUC that doesnt?
(2013-07-18, 00:39)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]Do your other XBMC machines play the Dark Knight VC1 OK? It's only the NUC that doesnt?

It's only the NUC(s). It's a straight rip of the bluray to ISO. It happens on both my NUC's so I'm eager to see if anyone has had success playing it in Windows XBMC.
(2013-07-18, 02:23)solomon23 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-18, 00:39)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]Do your other XBMC machines play the Dark Knight VC1 OK? It's only the NUC that doesnt?

It's only the NUC(s). It's a straight rip of the bluray to ISO. It happens on both my NUC's so I'm eager to see if anyone has had success playing it in Windows XBMC.

I just bought a Dark Knight BR so I can give it a go on my NUC. I have the i3. Runs XBMC very well. No issues playing VC-1/TrueHD rips such as Blade Runner. I stream my media from a Synology NAS. Overall, a dream setup. I"ll let you know how I fare with Dark Knight streaming.

(edit: just noticed you're on Win. I'm running Openelec. Though I may also setup a spare msata as a Windows test - I've done it before, but found Windows drivers crappy by comparison)
(2013-07-18, 02:53)shoot2score67 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-18, 02:23)solomon23 Wrote: [ -> ]

I just bought a Dark Knight BR so I can give it a go on my NUC. I have the i3. Runs XBMC very well. No issues playing VC-1/TrueHD rips such as Blade Runner. I stream my media from a Synology NAS. Overall, a dream setup. I"ll let you know how I fare with Dark Knight streaming.

(edit: just noticed you're on Win. I'm running Openelec. Though I may also setup a spare msata as a Windows test - I've done it before, but found Windows drivers crappy by comparison)

Thanks for checking. I tried testing another VC1 truehd bluray ( there will be blood ) and it dropped frames during the opening sequence as well.

I also just tried an Openelec usb boot and they both played fine :/ Unfortunately I need that build to run under windows.
Can someone help me? I currently have celeron nuc and I want to be able to run xbmc and stream 1080p/720p movies from my nas. Also I want to run software from the nuc that can record from my IP cam to the nas.

My question is, can the celeron nuc do all of this and stay on 24/7?
Anyone seeing problems with video black or 'below black' on Intel i3 NUC (HD4000) & WIN XBMC 12.2?

When displaying an HD test pattern usually refered to as "LOW PLUGE" test pattern and cranking up the brightness I cannot see the below black information - but I can see the above black portion of the pattern.

I'm using the most recent INTEL HD video drivers - making changes in Display / Video properties from and to full / limited range (with no effect).

No weird settings in XBMC 12.2.

Not a display or HDMI switcher / receiver issue - when pluggin in a WDTV streamer - below black pluge is visible.
(2013-07-14, 22:28)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Can I just chime in that my OE Celeron NUC [in my eyes, is running flawlessly]

No crushed blacks, no glitches in motion shots, hell, even modding internal IR's for on/off and remote control work perfectly.

I can't fault any of it. I praise XBMC and I praise OE.

Just get sky go working on it and I'll live happily ever after!
What's your inside specs?
Celeron, 4GB ram, 32GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD. Simerec & IR.
(2013-07-18, 19:54)killa2009 Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone help me? I currently have celeron nuc and I want to be able to run xbmc and stream 1080p/720p movies from my nas. Also I want to run software from the nuc that can record from my IP cam to the nas.

Anyone?
(2013-07-18, 20:42)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Celeron, 4GB ram, 32GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD. Simerec & IR.

Any chance you could post a couple of pics on how you installed the Simerec? I've had mine in the box for about 6 weeks and need to get it installed....
(2013-07-18, 22:08)squigglyline Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-18, 20:42)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Celeron, 4GB ram, 32GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD. Simerec & IR.

Any chance you could post a couple of pics on how you installed the Simerec? I've had mine in the box for about 6 weeks and need to get it installed....

Hey bud, you obviously missed my thread......

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166886
(2013-07-18, 19:54)killa2009 Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone help me? I currently have celeron nuc and I want to be able to run xbmc and stream 1080p/720p movies from my nas. Also I want to run software from the nuc that can record from my IP cam to the nas.

I don't see why not. It should be able to do that and more.