Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-08-13, 20:36)KevinSartori Wrote: [ -> ]How is the Flash/Silverlight performance on streaming video websites (YouTube in 1080p, Netflix, Hulu, etc.)?

When I tested Netflix HD on Windows several month ago using a Celeron 847 motherboard, it played without hiccups at about 80-90% CPU usage. I used the movie "Firefly" as my test. I watched the whole thing and it looked great. The only downside was the system was running pretty hot so the fans were really going.
(2013-08-13, 20:36)KevinSartori Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone who has a Celeron-based NUC with OpenELEC use the Kylo Browser? How is the Flash/Silverlight performance on streaming video websites (YouTube in 1080p, Netflix, Hulu, etc.)?

Can you even use silverlight with OpenELEC?

Haswell Nucs are only a month and a half away, if you can wait then do Smile
(2013-08-13, 22:46)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-13, 20:36)KevinSartori Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone who has a Celeron-based NUC with OpenELEC use the Kylo Browser? How is the Flash/Silverlight performance on streaming video websites (YouTube in 1080p, Netflix, Hulu, etc.)?

Can you even use silverlight with OpenELEC?

Haswell Nucs are only a month and a half away, if you can wait then do Smile

Wait if you are willing to pay an extra +/- € 150,-

Intel will not sell them cheap.
And in normal XBMC use you probably will never notice any difference between the original lineup of NUCs and the Haswell ones.
i just ordered this!

http://www.atlastsolutions.com/intel-nuc...d2nu1-4-64

Including WIFI, bluetooth and openELEC (total € 665,-- (including VAT and delivery cost))

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
^^^^^^ woah!
300,000 views! Well done lads!

NUC is definitely a popular choice for XBMC!

Wonder if the forum could provide stats from where the hits are coming from. Be interesting to see if its people googling xbmc and NUC orHuh?
(2013-08-14, 12:26)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]300,000 views! Well done lads!

NUC is definitely a popular choice for XBMC!

Wonder if the forum could provide stats from where the hits are coming from. Be interesting to see if its people googling xbmc and NUC orHuh?

Probably something like this http://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=x...%22&cmpt=q
I've had my i3 NUC / 8GB Ram / 128Gmsata /Win8(64) /XBMC / Aeon Nox 4.1.9 for a few month nows and I've been adding movies from my YAMJ collection over to XBMC...
I just passed 1800 Movies and 80 TV Shows,.... and with just about every mod, add-on for Aeon NOx,.... I'm finally starting to see some "slow-down" or hesitation with the box, when I'm in the Movie Indexes. (not all the time, ... maybe when xbmc is doing something else in the background)

I'm using Showcase w/ ShowCDs, BD Cases, Animated background, Infopanel ON (4 thumbs view) ... loaded , so to speak Wink
Moving left or right thru the posters on the index,... I'll see empty cases coming in from the left or right BLANK for a second or so, then fill in with the Movie Cover.

Not bad mind you, but you can see it definately. I wonder if there are any tweeks I can do here to speed things up,... or do I have to just give this i3 NUC to my brother "Mickey" and move upward to an i5 NUC?

Compared to my old YAMJ / MLMJ skins on a popcorn, ... this NUC / XBMC / AEON NOX combo is so dang good!! Smile

Legion
(2013-08-14, 08:58)Raitsa Wrote: [ -> ]And in normal XBMC use you probably will never notice any difference between the original lineup of NUCs and the Haswell ones.

unless you actually care about getting proper 23.976 playback...
gawd, I hate that dropped frame~!!! it makes my eye blink everytime!!! Wink
(2013-08-14, 15:12)Legion455 Wrote: [ -> ]I've had my i3 NUC / 8GB Ram / 128Gmsata /Win8(64) /XBMC / Aeon Nox 4.1.9 for a few month nows and I've been adding movies from my YAMJ collection over to XBMC...
I just passed 1800 Movies and 80 TV Shows,.... and with just about every mod, add-on for Aeon NOx,.... I'm finally starting to see some "slow-down" or hesitation with the box, when I'm in the Movie Indexes. (not all the time, ... maybe when xbmc is doing something else in the background)

I'm using Showcase w/ ShowCDs, BD Cases, Animated background, Infopanel ON (4 thumbs view) ... loaded , so to speak Wink
Moving left or right thru the posters on the index,... I'll see empty cases coming in from the left or right BLANK for a second or so, then fill in with the Movie Cover.

Not bad mind you, but you can see it definately. I wonder if there are any tweeks I can do here to speed things up,... or do I have to just give this i3 NUC to my brother "Mickey" and move upward to an i5 NUC?

Compared to my old YAMJ / MLMJ skins on a popcorn, ... this NUC / XBMC / AEON NOX combo is so dang good!! Smile

Legion

I'm chomping at the bit! Waiting on the Haswell NUC (can't see buying old tech when new tech is about a month away) to come out so I can do exactly what you have done. Popcorn Hour is SO SLOW to navigate. I am so pumped over a great, fast, fluid interface!
Edit:
The Haswell processors are not cheap. Look at the ultrabooks they are all +1000 euro/dollar
If you going to buy the new 4th generation NUC you’re paying too much for a HTPC.
You would need newer, faster SSD to go along with the new NUC.
There are still no aftermarket fan less case available.
Maybe there will be lots of bugs whit the first batch?

So if you wanted to early adopt the new NUC be prepared to pay top dollar.

By the time the prices are lowering the new next thing will be at the horizon.
(2013-08-14, 17:39)Bmul Wrote: [ -> ]Edit:
The Haswell processors are not cheap. Look at the ultrabooks they are all +1000 euro/dollar
If you going to buy the new 4th generation NUC you’re paying too much for a HTPC.

I see you edited out the DDR4 part Tongue, what makes you think they will need a newer SSD? Does the haswell version not take m-sata anymore - seems like it requires a pci-e card now?

And do you honestly see the haswell NUC being $1000 or were you just trying to prove that ultrabooks are expensive? Intel are getting more competition now for this market, e.g. Gigabyte brix. I'm not saying its going to be cheap, and I expect it will be slightly higher than the i5 that just got released but will be surprised if its a lot more, that would ruin them surely?

I'm still going to wait and see what the prices are like, the built in IR and 4 x usb 3 ports, not to mention the advantages to haswell is making it hard not to. Isn't the performance of haswell pretty significant over ivy in terms of small form factor?

For anyone interested the specs from the june 'previews' are here for the i3/i5 haswell versions:
'Intel to Extend the Nuc'
(2013-08-14, 23:15)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-14, 17:39)Bmul Wrote: [ -> ]Edit:

I see you edited out the DDR4 part Tongue, what makes you think they will need a newer SSD? Does the haswell version not take m-sata anymore - seems like it requires a pci-e card now?

And do you honestly see the haswell NUC being $1000 or were you just trying to prove that ultrabooks are expensive? Intel are getting more competition now for this market, e.g. Gigabyte brix. I'm not saying its going to be cheap, and I expect it will be slightly higher than the i5 that just got released but will be surprised if its a lot more, that would ruin them surely?

I'm still going to wait and see what the prices are like, the built in IR and 4 x usb 3 ports, not to mention the advantages to haswell is making it hard not to. Isn't the performance of haswell pretty significant over ivy in terms of small form factor?

For anyone interested the specs from the june 'previews' are here for the i3/i5 haswell versions:
'Intel to Extend the Nuc'
Damn, are you saying the mSata SSD ive got waiting for it, isnt going to work with the Haswell NUC because it is now only mini PCIE? I think they are a similar connector/slot but it depends whether the header is plumbed through to the SATA or PCIE bus (or perhaps is interchangable by going to some kind of switch first).

I bought the mSata and SODIMM RAM to build a NUC but then since Haswell was just around the corner I was waiting to get one of them instead (providing as you say, the price isnt excessively higher than the current i5 NUC)