Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-08-15, 13:43)Bmul Wrote: [ -> ]1 dropped frame every 4 minutes will you actually notice this?

I'd still much rather wait 50 days and never find out Tongue
(2013-08-15, 13:47)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-15, 13:22)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]I've just ripped about 30-40 blu rays over the last couple of months. 100% of them were 23.976 fps. Even my old HD-DVD rips were 23.976 fps, oh and also anything I've purchased digitally (itunes etc). Pretty sure the old PAL/NTSC ways are dying now.

So for that reason alone, if haswell fixes it, that's going to be a massive advantage.

Haswell does finally fix it, see http://www.anandtech.com/show/7007/intel...spective/4

quote from the topic you supplied:

"ganeshts - Monday, June 03, 2013 - link
Montago,

Just one example of the many that can be unearthed from the galleries:

Look at Frame 4 in the 720p encodes in full size here:

HD4600: http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/28...0p-170.png
HD4000: http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/28...0p-169.png

Look at the horns of the cattle in the background to the right of the horse. The HD4000 version is sharper and more faithful to the original compared to the HD4600 version, even though the target bitrate is the same.

In general, when looking at the video being played back, these differences added up to a very evident quality loss.

Objectively, even the FPS took a beating with the HD4600 compared to the HD4000. There is some driver issue managing the new QuickSync Haswell modes definitely.
So? That was an early test with non-optimised drivers, things like QuickSync will improve as the drivers mature and it's completely irrelevent to XBMC anyway as it's nothing to do with media playback.
Early test whit a Haswell processor.
It is not even the same low voltage processor which will be used in the NUC 4th gen
I finally have my Celero NUC setup properly all running openelec and controlled with my Harmony Remote via Flirc.

I realise I cant switch the NUC off with my remote so planned to leave it on most of the time apart from when away for a few days but when I switch to watching TV/BluRay or turn everything off and then back on again I cant get a picture from the NUC unless I switch it off and then on again. Am guessing it something to do with the HDMI handshake maybe?

Anyone have an idea of how I can get round this?
(2013-08-15, 17:25)mrstarface Wrote: [ -> ]Am guessing it something to do with the HDMI handshake maybe?

That would be my guess. EDID is such a pita. What happens if you reboot the NUC? You could do it either with SSH or just have the reboot button in XBMC selected so all you have to do is hit OK on the remote.

If that fixes it, you could probably just assign a button to Reboot in the Remote.xml file in XBMC. Or even to LIRC in the OS but thats a bunch more work.

Ernie
Got a question about upgrading from the i3 Nuc to the i5 Nuc.

It appears that both motherboards use the same chipset,... so would it be possible to just "change over" HD, Ram, from the i3 to the new i5 with no Windows 8 problems??
ie, the new i5 would just boot up.

The reason I ask is that I've tried to upgrade from old motherboards to newer ones (ASUS) and nothing goes right unless one loads the new MB/chipset drivers on the original Win first.

thanks
Legion
@Legion455

When you have an OEM license it will not work officially. But you can try to activate by telephone.
(you have an OEM license if you have only one installation disk)

If you have a retail version of Windows it is no problem at all.
(you have a retail version if you have two disk 32 & 64bit version)
hmmm,, I bought a Win8 license online ...

Legion
Opend up my new i5 NUC, transferred the Ram and HD over,.,,.. and it booted up fine, no problems.

However, one item, when I ran XBMC,... all of my Videotype, Smart Playlist Settings and Home Menu settings were gone, .. so I had to redo those. Weird!

There is a noticeable improvement using Aeon Nox,.. back to being just about instant on the menus... no hesitation.

Legion
@Legion455
Good to hear that the i5 works noticeable better, i have one coming in the mail tomorrow Big Grin

Probably some of the data is linked too your serial number /mac address of your motherboard in XBMC?

Do you notice anything from the frame rate of 23.976 still a problem with the HD4000 Ivy Bridge?

Some say yes, some say no?
(2013-08-15, 17:25)mrstarface Wrote: [ -> ]I finally have my Celero NUC setup properly all running openelec and controlled with my Harmony Remote via Flirc.

I realise I cant switch the NUC off with my remote so planned to leave it on most of the time apart from when away for a few days but when I switch to watching TV/BluRay or turn everything off and then back on again I cant get a picture from the NUC unless I switch it off and then on again. Am guessing it something to do with the HDMI handshake maybe?

Huh ? I think I´ve read in this thread that it IS possible with NUC/Flirc to go in standby and wake it up with the remote again ? I was also about to buy this combination... argl, I just want a nice simple mediacenter which I can use the usual way, without letting it run 24/7 which is an absolut NoGo for me.
Does anyone know a combo which IS able to standby/wakeup by remote without hassle ? Preferably with Openelec !?!
Been running my i3 for a week in the living room now. Quite happy but I am using Aeon Nox and I notice that I get around 72C in idle mode in XBMC. Are there any recommandations on good skins where I can make custom menus together with custom sub menus, and who will not make the NUC as hot as 72C in idle?
(2013-08-16, 09:57)d0dger Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-15, 17:25)mrstarface Wrote: [ -> ]I finally have my Celero NUC setup properly all running openelec and controlled with my Harmony Remote via Flirc.

Huh ? I think I´ve read in this thread that it IS possible with NUC/Flirc to go in standby and wake it up with the remote again ? I was also about to buy this combination... argl, I just want a nice simple mediacenter which I can use the usual way, without letting it run 24/7 which is an absolut NoGo for me.
Does anyone know a combo which IS able to standby/wakeup by remote without hassle ? Preferably with Openelec !?!

I suspect they mean they cant power it totally off and back on again (although you can do that if you get one of those semeric devices and wire that up). I dont think there should be an issue with going to standby/sleep and waking up from that with the remote, although I only have experience with Windows 7 and Windows 8 doing this, rather than OpenElec
(2013-08-16, 11:53)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-16, 09:57)d0dger Wrote: [ -> ]

I suspect they mean they cant power it totally off and back on again (although you can do that if you get one of those semeric devices and wire that up). I dont think there should be an issue with going to standby/sleep and waking up from that with the remote, although I only have experience with Windows 7 and Windows 8 doing this, rather than OpenElec

Thats interesting I'm not interested in powering completely off/on just being able to bring it our of standby/sleep would be good - but how do you do this with the NUC and FLIRC?