Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
the difference of 4k vs 1080p on a 50inch model at standard distance of 2 feet from the tv won't be much different. The prices of blue rays are already much more than some are willing to pay for. How much for a 4k movie then? And like I said is it worth upgrading your collection for slightly better image (sd to hd was more dramatic). you proved my point that its not worth considering 4k because even the hardware is unattainable for the general market. £ 2000 is alot of money considering everyone has invested in HD tv already

So again you might as well forget about 4k for a while. On that point are Xbone and PS4 4k ready?
The same thing is happing whit the tablets the higher the pixel density the better!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_density
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dis...Television

HDMI 1.4 is 4k ready.
My receiver can pass trough the 4k signal so it is ready

The only thing is you need content.
But in the meantime 4k resolution is backwards compatible whit 1080p resolution (just like 720p and 1080p)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution
You can get them even cheaper then that (at least here in the us):

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE39...B00DOPGO2G

Quality is another discussion. Still, I tend to agree that trying to future proof now for them is not really practical. The reason many of the devices work as well as they do now has alot to do with hardware decoding. What compress they land on for 4K (doubt it will be h264) will drive the hardware in devices down the road.

I am not sure 4K will be adopted as quickly as 1080p was. There was a HUGE difference when going for DVD -> HD/Blu-ray. Based on the 4K demos I have seen going from BR -> Ultra HD is no were near as dramatic. I could definitely see a difference but not enough to run out and upgrade all 4 of my TVs :o.

Who knows...

Ernie
I have now joined the world of NUC. I bought a Celeron NUC along with some ram & a wifi/bt card. I am running OpenElec off a usb stick.

Putting together the NUC was as simple as I was lead to believe.

Getting OpenElec going was a headache. First I discovered my cheap-o Chinese bluetooth keyboard wouldn't pair with the NUC, even using the dongle so I couldn't intially access the bios. The only other keyboard in the house was my iMac one. It worked but the iMac is on the second floor and the NUC was getting installed in the basement. This turned out to be a hassle when I ran into a bug in the OE install script for the flash drive on Mac. The NUC kept giving me errors. So I had to go up and down stairs several times with keyboard in hand. I eventually resorted to wiping off the dust of my ancient netbook and getting that up-and-running. Then I couldn't get Lubuntu to run the OE install script at all, even fussing with the permissions, and I had to boot into windows. That worked finally and OE installed quickly. Some more fussing with the Flirc utlity and I had my dvd remote gliding through XBMC.

I linked to my shares. Dvd rips that had given me lots of buffering on the ATV2 ran smoothly. Very pleased with the end result. Thanks to all for all the great info shared in this thread.
I ordered mine. i3 with a 64G SSD and 8Gig of RAM in one bar and WiFi / BT card, I found this offer on a used site. (don't know if this is good english)
waiting to receive it. the OpenElec USB key is already ready :-)
thank you very much guys for your advises.
now i need to look at changing my TV, which 55" is the best & affordable, that is another topic ;-)
Hey guys, have a question,...

I've installed a Centrino 6235 wireless and BT card in the NUC,...
2 questions:

a. Will 1080P run over the wireless? I'm going to try it, but just thought I'd ask to see if anyone else is doing this.
b. What would be a reason for having a BT connection as well? I'm having a brain fart, and can't think of why I would need Bluetooth connectivity.

btw, I finally figured out what was wrong with the Akasa NUC Case,... there's a rubber strip across the back of the case, that cushions the connectors from the mb,... all connectors fit, except for the power connector.,... and you must cutout a small square in order for the motherboard to seat properly.

Here's a few photos:

Legion
Your mileage may vary with 1080p over wireless. Buy some homeplugs if you can't provide a wired connection.

I found buffering an issue with 1080p over WiFi and not such a fluid experience with FF/REW over WiFi that I do get with wired.

Show us more pics of the case please! I wanna add them to the wiki along with your tips on getting it to fit properly!
(2013-08-23, 21:33)Legion455 Wrote: [ -> ]b. What would be a reason for having a BT connection as well? I'm having a brain fart, and can't think of why I would need Bluetooth connectivity.

bluetooth remote like the ps3bd remote or keyboard and mouse without a need for a dongle.
(2013-08-23, 03:08)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-22, 21:13)pacemaker1000 Wrote: [ -> ]thanks guys but absolutely ridiculous for a media player software to not give this option up front. the whole point of a device like this is to watch stuff on your TV where all other devices like dvd players and set top boxes use standard levels. RGB is only for PC's

It's an option in the upcoming XBMC v13 "Gotham". Should be available in nightly builds (wiki), and there should be nightly builds of OpenELEC on the OpenELEC forums.

Somehow managed to get the option on an Openelec build but during a reformat it disappeared. Apparently you won't get it with an ati card installed so wondering if it is even possible with the chip in the NUC?
(2013-08-23, 21:55)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Your mileage may vary with 1080p over wireless. Buy some homeplugs if you can't provide a wired connection.
I found buffering an issue with 1080p over WiFi and not such a fluid experience with FF/REW over WiFi that I do get with wired.
Show us more pics of the case please! I wanna add them to the wiki along with your tips on getting it to fit properly!

Thanks,... I'll get some more photos of the case as soon as my rc6 internal ir board comes in,... it's alot smaller than the Impactics, but I wish the Impactics was sold in the US,.... as the shipping is horrendous! Sad

Legion
(2013-08-24, 00:29)pacemaker1000 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-23, 03:08)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-22, 21:13)pacemaker1000 Wrote: [ -> ]thanks guys but absolutely ridiculous for a media player software to not give this option up front. the whole point of a device like this is to watch stuff on your TV where all other devices like dvd players and set top boxes use standard levels. RGB is only for PC's

It's an option in the upcoming XBMC v13 "Gotham". Should be available in nightly builds (wiki), and there should be nightly builds of OpenELEC on the OpenELEC forums.

Somehow managed to get the option on an Openelec build but during a reformat it disappeared. Apparently you won't get it with an ati card installed so wondering if it is even possible with the chip in the NUC?

did you check to make sure you had the advanced settings visible? i don't remember reading it was specific to any video vendor so if you have a link to that info that'd be great.
The trick with wifi is multiple antennas. Environment/interference will depend on different situations, but if you have wifi with only one antenna, then you will hit a wall even in the best conditions. Ideally at least 2in-2out, so 4 total. It's totally possible with just 2, though. I stream 1080 on my laptop all the time.

And these settings help with intermittent issues: HOW-TO:Modify the video cache (wiki)
2R1T (2 reciever 1 transmitter) is good enough for streaming. Are you talking about MIMO or external antennas Ned? I've got a 300 meters range USB and it streams 1080p from 2 floors up no problem
mimo
Just got a celeron with grey top and openelec. Its 80c idle, yikes! Looking at the bios version it seems old. Been trying to figure out how to update the bios but most info seems to be old or outdated. Could annonse point me in right direction for updating the bios(will it help?)?