Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need help ( ATV2's, synology, shared database )
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good afternoon XMBC'ers

I'm typically the person that reads and researches and does trial and error prior to asking questions, Well I've it my wits end. so here it goes

What I'm trying to do is sync my media off my Synology NAS ( NAS IP is 10.0.1.17 ) with all my apple TV 2's in the house.

Synology Media folder structure is /Volume1/Media/

In Media, I have three folders

-Movies
-TV Shows
-Thumbnails

I would like to sync Movies, and TV shows. Also, Sources and Addons would be nice.

I also have enabled / configured NFS on the Synology, so I can bypass SMB for less protocol overhead. So I would like to use that.

With that all being said, what would my advancesettings.xml file look/read.

Can someone possibly type it up and paste it or send me a link to download it. Ive been going at this for 3 hours and its driving me nuts.

I don't have any music going into XBMC
Myphpadmin doesnt have a password
Xmbc username and password is just "xbmc"

I think I explained everything and gave all the information I needed

thank you in advance if anyone is able to help me out.
Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>SYNO-IP</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </videodatabase>
    <musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>SYNO-IP</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </musicdatabase>
    <pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
            <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>
            <to>smb://user:password@SYNO-IP/xbmc/Thumbnails</to>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

If you want your ATV2 to be a bit snappier, reduce fanartsize within advancedsettings as well. <fanartheight>540</fanartheight> is the value i use. For a shared thumbnail folder i'd definetly suggest smb because there is a bug with nfs and substitution in Eden as Memphiz stated somewhere in the forums.
Only if you have thumbs and media on different nfs exports. Having both on the same export is fine.
(2012-09-16, 22:20)Maetrik Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>10.0.1.17</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </videodatabase>
    <musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>10.0.1.17</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </musicdatabase>
    <pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
            <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>
            <to>nfs://10.0.1.17/media/thumbnails</to>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

If you want your ATV2 to be a bit snappier, reduce fanartsize within advancedsettings as well. <fanartheight>540</fanartheight> is the value i use. For a shared thumbnail folder i'd definetly suggest smb because there is a bug with nfs and substitution in Eden as Memphiz stated somewhere in the forums.

Where do I put the fanart code? Also, I read about "dirty regions"? whats that all about?

Also, does my edit up top look right with my IP and change SMB to NFS since Memphiz said its alright ( all my stuff is on one machine )

(2012-09-16, 22:37)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Only if you have thumbs and media on different nfs exports. Having both on the same export is fine.

so I should be fine since all my stuff is on a NAS, correct?

Thank you again!
anyone? I'm hoping to complete this tonight...
You've seen our guide on the wiki, right? MySQL (wiki). There's also one or two alternative guide links on the last page.
yes, I looked. Just got confused on some stuff.

this is my advancesettings.xml

Does this look right?

http://nopaste.info/7d5a8b100f.html

My only issue is thumbnails arent being downloaded to the thumbnail folder ( My old database / advancesettings.xml worked ) the only difference is I changed SMB to NFS to get some performance back. When I change NFS to SMB it works. when I change it back, it doesnt.

Why won't NFS work? Ideas?
Thumbnails are matched to videos by their file path, and that's changed now. What I would do is change it back to how it was before with the original file paths, so that the thumbnails show up, then do a library export (Settings -> Videos -> Library -> Export) and select multiple files. This will place a copy of the thumbs and fanart used along side the media on the file server (along with an .nfo file containing the summary, cast info, etc). For this to work you would also need movies to be in individual folders.

Then drop/delete the existing MySQL databases, start XBMC back up, add the source as NFS and scan it to the library. It should show up as an identical library like you had before, but this time will associate the thumbnails with the NFS file path. This also gives you a nice backup of all your metadata in case anything ever happens to your library.

If you're wondering, in the future (XBMC v12, Frodo) this process will be a lot easier!
(2012-09-17, 10:37)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Thumbnails are matched to videos by their file path, and that's changed now. What I would do is change it back to how it was before with the original file paths, so that the thumbnails show up, then do a library export (Settings -> Videos -> Library -> Export) and select multiple files. This will place a copy of the thumbs and fanart used along side the media on the file server (along with an .nfo file containing the summary, cast info, etc). For this to work you would also need movies to be in individual folders.

Then drop/delete the existing MySQL databases, start XBMC back up, add the source as NFS and scan it to the library. It should show up as an identical library like you had before, but this time will associate the thumbnails with the NFS file path. This also gives you a nice backup of all your metadata in case anything ever happens to your library.

If you're wondering, in the future (XBMC v12, Frodo) this process will be a lot easier!

Sadly, I upgraded all my ATV2's over the weekend ( 4.1 to 5.0.2 ) So when doing that, I lost all my stuff. So since I thought it was done, I dropped my whole DB. The only thing that was still available and still is, is my thumbnails folder.

I do currently have all my movies in sepeate folders. Example. Volume1/media/movies/transformers/transformers.mkv

With that being said, what should I do?

I ideally would like to get my thumbnails folder NFS so I can make loading a little snappier.
I did notice one thing while messing around on the NAS.

Do you think <to>nfs://10.0.1.17/media/Thumbnails/</to> is sufficient or do you think I should put

<to>nfs://10.0.1.17/volume1/media/Thumbnails/</to>?
Always use the absolute path.
If you are using two or more volumes, then use the absolute path with volumeX or whatever. If your using RAID, then you won't use volume1 or volume2 as you wont see volume1 or 2 or whatever
(2012-09-17, 19:49)irate Wrote: [ -> ]I did notice one thing while messing around on the NAS.

Do you think <to>nfs://10.0.1.17/media/Thumbnails/</to> is sufficient or do you think I should put

on my synology I hade to inlcude /volume1/. Then it did the indexing. Thumbnails were not showing up anyway and I gave up.
Now I store thumbs locally and use the sql db on the NAS via NFS
(2012-09-18, 11:22)The Mouse Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-17, 19:49)irate Wrote: [ -> ]I did notice one thing while messing around on the NAS.

on my synology I hade to inlcude /volume1/. Then it did the indexing. Thumbnails were not showing up anyway and I gave up.
Now I store thumbs locally and use the sql db on the NAS via NFS

Hmmmm

I'm not willing to do that yet.

Also, when trying to use the ATV's lastnight, it was EXTREMELY slow.

I fired up xmbc, waited a good 5 minutes after it booted ( I was cooking dinner ) and clicked movies. It took roughly 45seconds -80seconds to show the list of my movies.

Whats up with that?
you can enable logging and have a look at it. For some parts it shows the time to access fanart etc.