Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Where can I find more info on Frodo?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I keep hearing about the newest iteration of XBMC, dubbed Frodo, but I don't see any official threads about it. Where can I find progress updates or news on it? Some of the things I have seen look pretty cool, I just want to kepp up to date on the latest developments.
Um... XBMC.org? The main blog keeps a monthly update of things being added to Frodo.
Come on. Don't be like that.

I do think I see what you're getting at. I have never gone just to xbmc.org as long as I've been on the forums. I think I did a google search for "XBMC forum" to get here in the first place and just bookmarked the forum home.

Thank you for pointing out how stupid I really am. lol
There's a list of all the blog post links for Frodo features on this wiki page: monthly build (wiki). There's also a few mentions on these pages: Category:Frodo feature (wiki)
So is there no forum discussions about frodo?
There are dev discussions, and there are separate Windows and Linux threads about nightly builds. But, there are no overall threads about Frodo, as it should be, because it's still in development. You need to learn about software development cycles first.
(2012-10-01, 00:24)thebearnecessit Wrote: [ -> ]So is there no forum discussions about frodo?

If you look back at the past several months of work, you should quickly discover that a single overarching Frodo forum discussion would become incredibly crazy in rapid manner. Too much is happening constantly for a single forum thread to hope to encompass it. Consider the entire forum as a grounds for potential Frodo discussion.
(2012-10-01, 05:48)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-01, 00:24)thebearnecessit Wrote: [ -> ]So is there no forum discussions about frodo?

If you look back at the past several months of work, you should quickly discover that a single overarching Frodo forum discussion would become incredibly crazy in rapid manner. Too much is happening constantly for a single forum thread to hope to encompass it. Consider the entire forum as a grounds for potential Frodo discussion.

It would be nice to see a simple changelog being updated regularly. The GitHub one is not the easiest to interpret for non-programmers and the blog one is a bit wordy.

Something like (these are made up examples):

Alpha 5 aka September Build
- Improved performance for Windows 8.
- Improved memory usage and shutdown time.
- Added support for Raspberry Pi
- Improved MySQL Caching
- Added PVR Timeshift
- Improved file deletion security.
- Minor bug fixes.
(2012-10-02, 22:57)tjcinnamon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-01, 05:48)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]

It would be nice to see a simple changelog being updated regularly. The GitHub one is not the easiest to interpret for non-programmers and the blog one is a bit wordy.

Something like (these are made up examples):

Alpha 5 aka September Build
- Improved performance for Windows 8.
- Improved memory usage and shutdown time.
- Added support for Raspberry Pi
- Improved MySQL Caching
- Added PVR Timeshift
- Improved file deletion security.
- Minor bug fixes.

There is an article posted on the website each month for the alphas and they do go into detail on the notable changes. If you look through GitHub you'll see that it's in such rapid development that a changelog such as your example would make more sense for the final build.
Yes, but that article only shows one months worth where the Frodo release as a whole is a number of months worth. Also, it's too wordy. I'll post something later when I have time and see if we can revise it. I'd be happy to maintain the condensed changelog. It could be updated once every alpha.
(2012-10-03, 00:29)tjcinnamon Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, but that article only shows one months worth where the Frodo release as a whole is a number of months worth. Also, it's too wordy. I'll post something later when I have time and see if we can revise it. I'd be happy to maintain the condensed changelog. It could be updated once every alpha.

You are, by all means, welcome to do so. I'll be curious to see what you come up with.
After Frodo's discussion with Gandalf, a rumor started that he was running out of money. This rumor, although not begun by Frodo.
You know that you actually pressed "submit" on that last post, don't you?