Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Only Show OSD on Mouseover
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone,

Longtime user of XBMC since original Xbox. I have recently started using it as my default media player of choice, have it synced against all boxes using MySQL, shared sources, ect, and its awesome. Thanks for all the hard work!

My only current issue I am dealing with is the OSD for videos. It is rather large, and it covers up a good portion of the screen for several seconds (using default skin). I am wondering if there is anyway to change the behavior so it only pops up when I mouse over it, and immediately goes away when the mouse is away from the bottom or top regions of the screen. Now, whenever I touch the mouse, the OSD pop up an stays up for 4-5 seconds. For example, this is what MPC does when setting the show onscreen controls to -1. I've searched the forums, gone through alot of xml files looking for a way to set this, but so far have had no luck. Any ideas? If it is not possible to only pop it up on mouseover, is there anyway to decrease the time it stays on screen? Thanks!
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Not exactly what you'd requested, but you can dismiss the OSD immediately by clicking your right mouse button.
Thanks, I the problem with that for me though is using a fairly sensitive mouse, right clicking seems to cause it takes to move slightly which the brings up the Window again. Any other tips on how to edit a file or figure out how the osd will only open on mouse over?
You can get rid of it via key mapping the mouse. Search then forums here using Google for details.
Or disable mouse support entirely: System/Settings > System > Input devices > Enable mouse and Touch Screen support (deselect)

Unless you're running XBMC on a laptop or desktop PC and viewing on a computer monitor, it's more conducive to use a wireless keyboard or remote control to navigate XBMC on your TV screen from 10+ feet away.
Thanks for the tips. I dont think I want to disable the moue completely, but I will take a look at the mouse keymapping xml file, thanks for the tips. I do think it would be nice to have a feature for OSD popup on mouseover only, so if there is a feature request area, point me to it, and once you guys are done with your current feature sets, maybe we can see something like this in a year or two Big Grin Thanks again for the suggestions and all the hard work!
In the meantime, you could switch to a trackball or a touchpad. This will give you the mouse functionality you desire, plus it won't be sensitive to slight "bumps" that would activate the OSD on a regular mouse.