Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: help setting up hauppauge 2250 in XBMCbuntu 12.04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to get my system going with a TV Tuner so I did a clean install of V2 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...4+alpha%22 and installed tvheadend but my card is not listed as a tv adapter.

What steps do I need to take to trouble shoot this? After a lot of searching I can't find anything that works and I'm a linux noob so some (a lot) is foreign to me. most of what I found is years old and it seems my card should work out of the box with the newer version of ubuntu in this buildHuh

Thanks for any pointers

drivers should be included indeed. but you need a firmware for it to work properly on linux which probably isn't included: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Ha...V-HVR-2250
dushmaniac is correct, you need the firmware for the 2250, available HERE.

You will need to copy this file as root to the following folder on your local machine:

\lib\firmware\{KERNEL VERSION} (ie I'm running kernel 3.2.0-29-generic, so the path to my firmware is \lib\firmware\3.2.0-29-generic\NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw).

You can find out your kernel version by typing 'uname -r' (without quotes).

Once your firmware is copied to this directory, reboot your machine. Then to see if it's loaded correctly, type 'dmesg | grep saa' and make sure you see 'firmware loaded'.

Once you see the firmware loaded, you should be good to go. I use MythTV, not TVheadend, so I can't help you any further than that.

Oh, and BTW, if ever you do an dist-upgrade that upgrades your kernel, don't forget to copy the firmware into the new kernel directory!! I've spent a few hours ripping whats left of my hair out because of that.

Good luck.
Thanks, I got the card to show up!
Now just to figure out tvheadend.
I'm running Gotham, and just installed a 2250 in my xbmc box. For some reason, the tuner card isn't detected, so I installed this firmware. After rebooting, no change. I checked dmesg | grep saa, and got absolutely nothing, no output. I got the web interface for tvheadend to show up, and still under input cards, no cards listed. I checked lspci, no tuner listed. I'm positive the card is firmly seated, and I can't figure out why this card wont detect. Im about ready to do a fresh install at this point. I'm running xbmcbuntu 13.0, 3.5.0-49.