Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Overlay on all screens? anyway to do this... ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i'd like to create an overlay that is in the upper left corner of all screens. i installed a new hard drive and seem to be getting random lockups and suspect heat is the culprit.

when i check the temp it is usually around 131f so i'd like to isolate it to when it actually locks.

so my thought is to create an overlay that appears on all screens, all the time, that shows the temp. this way, i'll know what the temp was when it locks up.

is there anyway to do this. i'm thinking bascially create an overlay that is not modal and never has focus.

thanks for the help!
exactly.

create a new window, set it's <type>dialog</type>, make it's <visible>true</visible>

then, add the info label you need.

see the skinning info in the online manual - there's a tutorial for creating a new window, and another for info label usage.

have fun!

cheers,
jonathan
here's the big question...

how do i make it so that the overlay is always on but not required to place in xml for each screen?

basically... have it launch upon boot and always show no matter what screen is showing.
jm,
anyway to do this or do i need to put in a feature request with you :thumbsup:
jonathan is on vacation until mid october

im afraid its not possible to do what you wanna do

suckage... we really need a way to do this.

maybe he'll be kind when he gets back and add a way in the skinning engine to do it.

in the meantime maybe i can have it log the temp on a minute by minute basis?
hm doubt he will add this just for your broken xbox

besides he wont be back until mid october

its probably easier to just add that label to few couple of mainly used screens or to just fix the mobo since figuring out the trigger temp wont fix the issue anyways
the usefulness is more then just for my troubleshooting... could be used for easily adding rss, weather, currently playing song, etc... to any/all screens with only needing to make one xml and telling the skinning engine to display it.

would be very usefull for many things.

would make skinning much more flexible!
well, from my point of view, i don't like having one xml for all screens, like music/video ovelay or playercontrols, because using them we are forced to make all screens with the same layout or at least with the same room in the same place.
i know that having one xml make it easyer to develope dialogs, but it's a pain to lay it out in all screens; what will be great would be the possibility to specify the position of a dialog/overlay in everyscreen.
btw i guess we will discuss this more when jmarshall will be back from vacations.
cheers. Smile
kotix, that is not what i meant... i mean it allows us to use one overlay, if you'd like, on multiple screens without needing to insert code into every xml for it.

think of it this way... you want to make 10 copies of a paper you just typed up so you go to the copy machine.

you have two choices...

a) the way we do things in xbmc skinning:
put the paper on the glass.
close the cover
press the copy button
get copy #1 from the shoot
open the cover
remove the paper
close the cover
open the cover
put the paper back in
close the cover
press copy again
get copy #2 from the shoot
... repeat for each copy you want

or

b) the way i'm suggesting skinning should be:
close the cover
type in the number of copies you want to end with
press the copy button
get all 10 copies at once.
i understand and i agree, what i just want is the possibility to specify, if needed, the position ov the overlay for each screen.
Quote:a) the way we do things in xbmc skinning:
close the cover
press the copy button
get copy #1 from the shoot
open the cover
remove the paper
close the cover
open the cover
put the paper back in
close the cover
press copy again
get copy #2 from the shoot
... repeat for each copy you want

or

b) the way i'm suggesting skinning should be:
close the cover
type in the number of copies you want to end with
press the copy button
get all 10 copies at once.

you never heard of xml editors where you can work on all files at once..?

also thing is: youre the only one who wants such a dialog at the moment because

a) your mainboard seems to be broken

and

b) you are too lazy to add a few lines of code in some xmls

get over yourself and just paste them in allready!
even without an advanced xml editor it wont take longer than 5 mins. i have to change things in all xmls all the time and i always just use notepad.
choke,
maybe you are trying to start an argument or maybe you are in a bad mood but it does seem that i'm not the only one that wants this as kotix mentioned he'd like to see it. and my mainboard is not broken, it has not locked up in over a day now. my new hd was overheating the system. the feature would have helped me troubleshoot it much faster.

the feature would be very useful... you of all people should see the benefit of having this feature. if you've ever done any programming you'll know the benefits of such a system.

if you have never programmed go tell even a decent programmer to copy and paste a function into each module separately... he will tell you what you can do with your text editor much more harshly then you'd expect.

we should strive to make the skinning more efficient and flexible (my suggestion provides both), not make excuses for the way it is today or to just say "live with it" without exploring the possible benefits... that is a loser's attitude. you have had this attitude in your skins thus making one better then the next...
sorry if i was a little harsh - but i guess you gotta live with it until mid october

try ultraedit to edit all xmls at once...
fyi, i was playing around and you can kind of do this. you need to make a custom dialog window with visibility = true. then map this custom dialog to a button to invoke it. i think it will show on all windows that "allowoverlay".

sample window header:
Quote:<window>
<id>4567</id>
<type>dialog</type>
<visible>true</visible>
<controls>
</controls>
</window>

it works accidently. custom dialog windows have no way to close so it just says on screen. (dialog windows are controlled by the code so they fade out or have an "enter" button which returns control back to the previous window.)