Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NAS has new IP - cant access edit sources
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Synology NAS changed its ip on reboot and now Nothing is working on xbmc, but when i scroll to sources it takes ages and then freezes?

any ideas
Change NAS ip back? Make it static?
Yep, definitely make it static. You should be able to reserve a static IP address for it from your router.
In the future, avoid using the ip address when defining your sources.
Use a fqdn or a share name, depending on the protocol used.
(2012-09-26, 07:37)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]In the future, avoid using the ip address when defining your sources.

If the Synology is anything like the QNAP, this may not be too successful. I'd stick with IP and just make the NAS static on your network. You can do this via the router or on the NAS.
(2012-09-26, 08:27)Cranial Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-26, 07:37)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]In the future, avoid using the ip address when defining your sources.

If the Synology is anything like the QNAP, this may not be too successful. I'd stick with IP and just make the NAS static on your network. You can do this via the router or on the NAS.

Not sure what the problem is with a QNAP, but fact is that if the ip changes for any reason, you'll have a hard time getting your xbmc back in shape...

I'm not certain that it's still this way, but when I first started using my Synology NAS with XBMC, I tested both the share name and a static IP, and there was a very significant speed advantage with a static IP.

Name resolving for every entry really slowed down the Library display. It didn't impact playback, but the Library browsing needs every advantage it can get, in my experience.
(2012-09-26, 19:46)ChipsAhoy Wrote: [ -> ]

Name resolving for every entry really slowed down the Library display. It didn't impact playback, but the Library browsing needs every advantage it can get, in my experience.

I don't know your setup, but there is normally no access to the files while browsing the library, besides maybe thumbs generation the first time if they do not exist.
(2012-09-26, 20:03)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-26, 19:46)ChipsAhoy Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't know your setup, but there is normally no access to the files while browsing the library, besides maybe thumbs generation the first time if they do not exist.

I suppose that could be specific to the fact that I use a shared mySQL library.

In any case, resetting the IP of the NAS to the previously used address would be a significantly easier and faster solution than rescraping the entire library.
ok so i had already deleted the sources by the time i got replied to.. my bad..
now the new tv sources freeze when i click on new show and i cant seem to add a new movie source... a lot of freezing going on too