Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2012-11-02, 16:36)FieldDoc Wrote: [ -> ]Great work on the script Bram!

Does the script install TVHeadEnd? How hard would this be to set up?

Thanks Smile. You can choose to install it during the installation process.
Bram77 i really like your script. It is so nicely written. I have studied it a little and have already 'stolen' some bits of it and implemented it into O2 Joggler depending on the code for XBMC startup.

I also like the scripts from Sam Nazarko for example from Crystalbuntu and also raspbmc. I like the stuff with version update and updating.

I have one question. Are ATI drivers using xorg.conf? If yes is there any optimization recommended for ATI?

TNX
(2012-11-03, 08:24)illiac4 Wrote: [ -> ]I have one question. Are ATI drivers using xorg.conf? If yes is there any optimization recommended for ATI?

TNX

yes, they do, but in a very limited way(loading the correct driver). All other ATI driver stuff is managed with amdconfig(formerly aticonfig)
Is there some more stuff i can read about ATI drivers and config to get the most out of it according to video decoding? Nvidia so well documented but ATI is so so or. i'm just unable to find it. I hope someday the ati will support true hd, mpeg2/4 decoding....
you can go through this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=116996
There are various bits and pieces scattered throughout the now huge thread, but Bram77s script already includes all necessary tweaks.

e.g. fglrx doesn't need modelines for 23,976hz, it works ootb if your TV's edid is correct
Well i have got Lenovo q180 and have tested the script. It works great. The problem is that the system can not wake up after suspend or. hibernate with keyboard. I do not have yet ir receiver.
Also after suspend (with pressing power button) the system does not show the XBMC any more. Can this be ati driver related, power management,Huh
To hibernate/sleep have you tried the power menu? It has several options there and also in xbmc settings the power off can be set to sleep/hibernate etc

Can you tell me what output of:
Code:
cat /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla
You need to have acpid installed. can you verify it is?

also is the output of:

Code:
id xbmc

You can set power up on some usb devices including keyboards but since this is a laptop idk.

uNi

[Actions for xbmc user]
Identity=unix-user:xbmc
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*;org.freedesktop.udisks.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes
xbmc@XBMC:~$

xbmc@XBMC:~$ id xbmc
uid=1000(xbmc) gid=1000(xbmc) groups=1000(xbmc),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),100(users),105(fuse),107(sambashare),110(lpadmin)
xbmc@XBMC:~$

Those look ok, if you have acpi installed (and if your laptop supports acpi) it should be ok.

Perhaps have a rummage here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sus...ate-script

I dont have any experience with ATI or anything driver related maybe someone who knows more will chime-in.

Hibernate on keyboard http://askubuntu.com/questions/80252/how...-hibernate and https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=66829

uNi
Yes acpid is already installed. Is it possible that the cause from black screen even after power button press is handshake issue?
idk, Ive posted a few links in my previous post, I have no experience with ATI systems, but wsnipex and other do.

uNi
I have completed these steps..

Confirm installation of GRUB to the “Master boot record” with “Yes”
Confirm that the system clock is set to UTC with “Yes”
When finished remove the bootable USB drive and press Enter to reboot the machine.

After I remove the USB drive and reboot I get a black screen with a flashing cursor. If I put the USB stick back in a reboot I get a login prompt.

I installed the OS to a SATA drive.

sda = USB Stick
sdb = SATA Drive

Any ideas?

Thank you.
@ mrbiggmd

And now you follow the rest of the steps. Either login and do it directly or via SSH. Press a key on keyboard should show a login, use user=xbmc + whatever password you setup.

If you installed it to the internal drive it should be sda=sata drive sdb=usb though that doesn't matter. remove the stick reboot/login and proceed with step 2

uNi

(2012-11-03, 22:52)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]@ mrbiggmd

And now you follow the rest of the steps. Either login and do it directly or via SSH. Press a key on keyboard should show a login, use user=xbmc + whatever password you setup.

If you installed it to the internal drive it should be sda=sata drive sdb=usb though that doesn't matter. remove the stick reboot/login and proceed with step 2

uNi

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried pressing keys on the keyboard and nothing happened. Do I need to put the usb drive back in? Instructions say no. I am trying a different hdd now