Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2012-12-24, 21:00)Jameskey10 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean select reset to default in bios or remove the battery?

Would probably suffice to just go into the BIOS and reset to defaults. You might have the choice to choose safe defaults or optimal defaults. Try optimal, and if that doesn't work, go with safe.

If that gets you booting again, you may want to go back in and change a few things (AHCI mode for disks is a good recommendation), but make your changes one or two at a time so if things get messed up again you'll know what to blame.
Ok, I sucessfully installed on main hard drive while it was slaved to another machine. It boots up no problem. Do I need to do anything for putting the hard drive back in my HTPC?

For the issue I had the only thing I did that was not per procedure was changed my boot preferences back to hard disk. This time I did not do that and it worked. Also I thought I needed to change my boot preferences since it is suspossed to be looking for a USB and there is not one attached.
ok so i put the drive back in my htpc and nothing happens at all. There is just a blinking cursor on the top left of the screen. I reset bios -> no help. I popped out the bios battery -> no help. I tried to reinstall and got the Boot disck failure message again. It is just the HTPC since it worked on my other machine. What is the heck could I have done?
IGNORE IT IS ROUTER ISSUE.

Suddenly i can not get on the internet.
The rute is:
root@XBMC:~# /sbin/route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 p4p1
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 p4p1

The comp gets the ip from DHCP but the i can not ping anything.
The ip i get is 192.168.1.125 and everything looks good.
What could be the reason?

ifconfig:

p4p1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 51:ad:84:17:06:bd
inet addr:192.168.1.125 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::52af:73ff:fe17:6bd/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1490 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1470 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:390704 (390.7 KB) TX bytes:295393 (295.3 KB)
@clarknova - Thank you for all the info. Made it a lot more clear to me. Starting to like this LINUX stuff ;-)
Hello all,

I'm having another minor issue. Please help.
I don't know why, but I'm having trouble with the resolution (only on my HD ready 720p LG TV - all is fine on a 1080p HD tv). This is no problem in XBMC (lots of video calibration options) but when booting I'm getting a linux message (I'm sure it is linux and not the bios because it is in dutch, and I set my locale to Belgium). I will translate to english, this is what I get when booting :
- No approproate video mode found ( I get this message 3 times)
- starting in blind mode

After this, XBMC logo comes up and all is fine. But this just doesn't look good. Is there a way to remove or suppress these warning message in the boot sequence?

Originally the message was (for the dutch guys out there) :
- Geen geschikte video modus gevonden
- starten in blinde modus

Thanks,
Grave
Ignore, working now after numerous reboots ?!
Has anyone tried installing recently with the latest xbmc-xvba (23rd Dec)
Seems auto login to xbmc is broken now (black screen), install was working on the 21st - have tried xbmc-xvba and modifying script to use xbmc-nightly but it no longer loads xbmc Sad
Is it possible tohave broken the motherboard during the install. The harddrives all work and the ram is good. The only other thing that it could be is the motherboard. I have reset the bios to factory settings and removed and replaced the CMOS battery. Any help would be much appreciated. The message I get is "Boot disc not detected" or when booted without a boot disc I just get a flashing cursor in the upper left. Thanks again.

R/
Everything is possible, however breaking a mobo on install is very unlikely,

It is more likely your doing something wrong and your install is not correct and your trying to boot a bad install and have messed up your bios settings. Anyway see if you have a bios upgrade and flash it, ensure your settings are correct and reinstall.

uNi
Just completed an installation using the script, my installation had more than a few problems shall we say. I will have to try my installation again on another machine to keep on learning. EXCELLENT work on the script guys. I have a few applications to install on the box , but this is exactly what the doctor ordered for me. I scanned through the entire thread to educate myself on the evolution of the script, since I did not want to ask any questions that may have been answered already.

After I got the system running I proceed to install my usual addons- in particular. PseudoTV, Wake on LAN and Wifi Manager from the repository.
I did not see refereces to the below in the thread, forgive me if I missed anything relevant.

• Oddly, the XBMC .org Add-ons Repository does not contain some add-ons, PseudoTv , in particular – I wonder if there is a reason for this or if others are missing.

• There is no “choose skin” or get more option from the skin menu – found it odd that only three skins are listed “Backrow”, “Hybrid” and “Transparency!” without the option of installing other default skins. Easy enough fix to download manually and install from zip

• After installing PseudoTv (2.1.0) from zip, DOES NOT LAUNCH, NO ERROR.

• Advance Wake-on LAN add-on -gives Error on startup “Hostup-check - - XBMC must be run as root for ping-based host-up checks to you. You can disable this.”

• Network Manager Add-on - Reports “ERROR Script failed script.linux.nm” is there no way of allowing users to configures wireless via the XBMC interface? Is installing wicd the only solution? Just want to double check.
Thanks for all the hard work, Prompt replies and all the assistance!
Hi Guys,

I have successfully installed and XBMC is up an running. For a Linux noob, I am super glad it all worked out.
However, a few things that is really bugging me.

1. Everytime I boot XBMC up, I always get the command prompt to login and I have to hit Alt+F8 on the keyboard.
How do I configure XMBC to start on tty1 or basically start on the first screen?

2. I read through and everyone is talking about this xorg.conf file. Where is this located? It's not in /etc/X11 as most have it.

Any help is really greatly appreciated.
Welcome to Forums.

1) idk why, It should work and boot into XBMC is your using xinit upstart method

2) xorg.conf doesn't exist by default and only needed in nvidia if you do want to tweak 23.976p and 24p playback as on my signature

uNi
Hi Uni, thanks for the welcome.

Do you think it might be that there are 2 graphics cards in the system?
I have a ZOTAC H67-ITX WiFi board and it has an onboard intel graphics, and an NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520 built in.

The default uses the HDMI, and the nvidia is using the displayport port connector
Probably, disable the onboard in Bios and be doe, the 520 can do everything and better.

Just need oviously drivers installed and configured in XBMC and xorg.conf as per my sig. with correct drivers.

uNi
Will give that a go when I get home later. Not sure if the onboard can be disabled though.
I think the drivers are installed, cause XBMC shows up when I hit Alt+F8