Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone tried running Bram77's script on a different Ubuntu installation? So long as the xbmc user is in place and logged in, it should still run, yes?

I know... "try it and see" and I will. Just thought I'd ask if it's known not to work well with other Ubuntu flavors.
(I'm thinking of trying out Mythbuntu).
I've just installed 12.10 minimal and then the script and after starting XBMC everything seems fine but if I play a HD video I got high 50~70 % cpu usage as if VDPAU wouldn't working. What's wrong ? This was never a problem before Frodo.

edit: After a restart it seems to working fine even on 1080p.
If I am correct you need to check the version of udisk2 before applying the USB fix, since the fix is not needed anymore in the latest version:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...ug/1048059

But if I am wrong please correct...
Multiple things woul have to be altered in the script if you want to use it on any othrr ubuntu minimal version then 12.10
(2013-01-14, 23:50)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]Multiple things woul have to be altered in the script if you want to use it on any othrr ubuntu minimal version then 12.10

What about a installing it on a non-minimal flavor of Ubuntu 12.10?
(2013-01-15, 01:06)sion28 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-14, 23:50)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]Multiple things woul have to be altered in the script if you want to use it on any othrr ubuntu minimal version then 12.10

What about a installing it on a non-minimal flavor of Ubuntu 12.10?

I think I already tried installing the script on Ubuntu Server 12.10 but in the end I started again with minimal. What is the advantage of running server over minimal ?

Thanks
none unless you want all the server stuff installed, php server, smb server, and a ton of other server software that you probably dont need.

Script can run on anything from Ubuntu 10.04 upto 13.04 no problems with no changes that I see. As long as my last two bug fixes go in.

uNi
(2013-01-11, 18:12)ylafont Wrote: [ -> ]I installed network Manager yesterday to be able to configure my wireless via xbmc to find out that it disables my usb-cec on build. Has anyone experience this, and if so is there a solution?

Does anyone know is this can be fixed?
Perhaps ditch the Network Manager and try to config wireless through the CLI. Try something easy like a phone wifi hotspot and a short key to start.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

Code:
sudo nano -w /etc/network/interfaces

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid   MYNETWOTK
wireless-key     FEFEFEFEFE
wireless-channel 11
wireless-mode    managed

Your wifi config shouldn't change too often so this may be a reasonable workaround.
(2013-01-15, 05:05)thethirdnut Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps ditch the Network Manager and try to config wireless through the CLI. Try something easy like a phone wifi hotspot and a short key to start.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

Code:
sudo nano -w /etc/network/interfaces

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid   MYNETWOTK
wireless-key     FEFEFEFEFE
wireless-channel 11
wireless-mode    managed

Your wifi config shouldn't change too often so this may be a reasonable workaround.

already done, But I can't expect someone else to change these settings when the box is moved. Which happens more often than what I would think since the box is so small.
OK - so is this portable HTPC or a laptop...either it moves around a lot?

Only used for XBMC?

(2013-01-15, 05:27)thethirdnut Wrote: [ -> ]OK - so is this portable HTPC or a laptop...either it moves around a lot?

Only used for XBMC?

Yeap, Intel NUC, just for XBMC.
Quote:But I can't expect someone else to change these settings when the box is moved.

You could perhaps make a drinking game out of everytime someone makes an editing error in vi - no!? ;-)

(2013-01-15, 05:42)thethirdnut Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:But I can't expect someone else to change these settings when the box is moved.

You could perhaps make a drinking game out of everytime someone makes an editing error in vi - no!? ;-)

I would be drunk have the week 8-).
Hello. I tried to use the following script for upstart to autostart XBMC:

Quote:
Code:
# xbmc-upstart
# starts XBMC on startup by using xinit.
# by default runs as xbmc, to change edit below.
env USER=xbmc

description     "XBMC-barebones-upstart-script"
author          "Matt Filetto"

start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger)
stop on runlevel [016]

# tell upstart to respawn the process if abnormal exit
respawn

script
  exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -- -nocursor :0" $USER
end script

Almost all is ok. XBMC is autostarted. All power menu items in XBMC also works properly (Restart, Shutdown, etc). But only one menu item is not working - Quit. When I choose Quit menu item XBMC quited and then restart. How to fix it. I suppose when I choose Quit XBMC should exit to CLI. But may be better to simply delete Quit menu item from Power menu in XBMC. Because I installed XBMC in my media center and its main feature is to run XBMC. If so then how to delete Quit menu item from Power menu in XBMC?

Thanks